Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:shock: Ok so I dont know how it's supposed to feel but when you feel the bad end of masons body (hips) you can feel the bones sort of popping or moving, especiallly when he sits down.. now is this normal..maybe be a dumb question but just kind of curious now.. He's in no pain.. he jumps all the time..playing, off our bed/on our bed...he runs.. Just kind of wondering if I should be worried...

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Take the dog to your vet. They can check it and see if it's something like Hip Displaysia.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Is it a popping like as in the noise that knuckles make? If so, this is what Heidi gets in her wrists. The vet called it crepitus. It's just a form of arthritis. I upped her dose of Vitamin C and the popping went away but if I forget for a couple of days, the noise will come back. I haven't heard any noises in either of the dogs hips though. Did you ever get Mason checked out for his hips?

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no you cant physically hear it.. it's just if you put your hands on his rear end you feel the joints moving... He's been to vet..had him checked out within 48 hours of recieving him as per the breeders requirement and I believe the vet felt his hips and said they felt good no signs of hip dysplasia..and I may be wrong but our current vet might have done so also but Im not sure... He is gonna go back into vet next saturday so I can bring it up anything I can try as a remedy??

Ill just bring him over to visit chico and heidi, you can let me know what you think :D :lol:

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I would love for you to bring him over to see us! I don't know how old Mason was when the vet checked him but with Chico, you couldn't really notice anything was wrong with him until he was about 6 months old. Well with Chico's hips, you can't hear anything but they are pretty stiff. If you lay him on his back or even pick up his leg while he is standing, you can move his leg as if he were walking. Like a bicycle movement. With a healthy dog, it should be smooth. With Chico, his hip sort of catches a little in areas and is a little more stiff. It is really hard to tell without x-rays though. Most people would never guess that Chico has hip dysplasia by looking at the way he acts but if you see his x-rays, it's a whole different story. If you think Mason may have hip dysplasia, it would be best to pay to get the x-rays done. Nothing really changed now that we know Chico has it but at least I know which exercises will help and which supplements to give. I don't know if you go to this vet but there is supposed to be an amazing bulldog vet in Riverside. I could get his info if you need it. It's a little too far for me!

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dr. Butchko!! Ya I use him.. took some finding but he's the best bullie vet around from what ive heard so mason has been going there ever since his second check up.. Ill have him examine Mason next saturday probably have some xrays taken just to be sure.. I hope it's not HD because one of the primary questions I asked the breeder was has she had any instances of HD in her breeding line.. Im thinking maybe I shouldnt have him jump on/off our bed anymore might be making things worse..

We should setup a playdate for sure..Mason starts his first set of classes on the 11th so once he learns not to get so wound up and excited to where all he does is jump on people then we should definitely get something together

MASON says if Orson wants to kick it, he's down :lol:

·
Banned
205 Posts
What is a "mini English Bulldog"? Never heard of this breed. I know there's a LOT of health problems that go along with the deliberate miniaturization of breeds. Might want to get him x-rayed when he's 6 months old.

-- mr c

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Yep, that's the guy! He's pretty famous out here I guess. I was told that it was ok for Chico to run but sharp turns and a lot of jumping are bad. It's hard to keep him from doing that kind of stuff though. Heidi might be down for a little meet up but I'm not too sure about Chico. He'll behaive but he's not really able to play nicely with oher dogs unfortionately. Darn bulldogs!

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mason is already 8 months..

A mini EB is basically just that, a smaller size of the normal EB.. so far no health problems just kinda wondering if I should worry on this... As far as health concerns go, ive heard because it's a mini it wont have as much health problems, but then ive also heard the opposite so my guess is if the dog is gonna have health issues he/she will have them regardless what size they are..

Masons a lover hell turn chico around lol, thats a shame though but ya we'll look into that

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
last time we weighed mason at vet he was 33lbs and that was awhile ago (1-2 months)

Our breeder said he would get to be 30lbs because he was the runt but he's passed that...Im thinking he's gotta be 40 now because My wife has a hard time picking him up..He's not fat to my knowledge just solid..you can see muscle definition in his arms and everything..

Anyhow ya my wife says" He doesnt look like an EB..he has the look more of an AB" but I just tell her it's because he doesnt have alot of wrinkles..but I dunno..

Does he even look EBish.. :lol:

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:oops: Your making mason blush, but psst::: we cant let hime know he looks good cause he already has a big head::: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Obelisk said:
Masons a lover hell turn chico around lol, thats a shame though but ya we'll look into that
Ya, Chico thinks he's pretty macho! :lol: He'll behaive himself at our classes but I'd never trust him to play off leash with Mason. He's fine with some dogs and then just absolutely despises other ones for no reason. It's always the stereotypical "cute fluffy" dogs that Chico decides to pick on. He's just a big bully!

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
:lol: :twisted:

HAHA Mason is the same way..we have a friend that has a bichon and Mason just tramples right through him and mounts him and everything...He's a rough player.. hey on second thought let Chico talk some sense into him..that way mason stops thinking he runs the joint..lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts