Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted yeserday that our Catahoula Maggie had allot of sugar in her urine and was being blood tested for diabetes. The vet also thought it might be Cushing's or Addison's. So of course I did research on all three possibilities.
I really think it might be Cushing's :( and here's why:
Maggie is 7 years old but in the last year she has "aged" significantly IMHO. I even mentioned this to my DH before we took her and Sasha in for the annuals 2 weeks ago. I said that she was just "off", her winter coat seemed determined to stick around, and she wasn't sleeping her normal pattern.
Well he convinced me that she was fine.
So this past week she was drinking SOOOOO much water (but she has always liked water and it has been really hot!) so again, sorta blew that off.
Well then there was the discharge from her vulva (hope I can say that here) and that prompted me to call.
And so in my research Cushings has this weird sort of onset with poor coat, excessive thirst.......

Cushing's can also develop through use of seroids. A friend at work had a dog on teroids for skin allergies and she eventually developed Cushings - same exact symptoms.
Life expectancy is 2 years after diagnosis :cry:

So - until I hear from vet I am going to be just beside myself.
I woke up at 4:30am and couldn't go back to sleep and now I am at work and can NOT concentrate. Am totally obsessing.

Here is a picture of sweet Maggie at the beach in Hilton Head~

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
So sorry to hear that. Is there a test the doctor can do to determine if it's Cushings for sure? When are you supposed to hear back from the vet?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If her blood sugar matches the urine sugar then it's diabetes. If not, then he said they would also run some tests to look at Cushings or Addisons, but everythin I read was so specific. I think if he thinks it is Cushing's then there will be another round of blood tests to confirm. Also, one type of test will differentiate pituitary from thyroid.
If it's pituitary they can do surgery. I think.
The results are in - our vet is not in today and the other vet is in surgery so the tech said if either our vet calls in or if the vet in surgery gets out firt - one of them will call.
Whcih makes me even more nervous because I work in healthcare - and if the doctor has to give you the results and not the tech - it's usually not a good sign.
[-o<

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
You are in my prayers [-o<

·
Registered
99 Posts
Both Cushings and Addisons are diagnosed with a cortisol study. Its expensive but worth it. Cushing and Addisons can both be very manageable with a knowledgeable vet supervising treatment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts