Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 6 year old female pitbull/boxer had knee surgery(back left leg) the end of September 05. She was doing well during the first 2 months post surgery. She was close to going back to being off leash when all of a sudden she started to limp and carry her leg again. I gave it a few days and then returned to the vet who put her back on Deramaxx 25mg twice daily. She was on that for a month and showed slight improvement. I spoke w/ my vet again and he stated she may be experiencing some arthritis from surgery. He prescribed me another month of Deramaxx and stated to use it as needed in the future.
She is a little stiff when first getting up but usually moves pretty well once she starts walking. I'm still keeping her on the leash when we go outside and she only does the front porch steps...no steps in the house. I put a heating pad on her after longer walks or activity and make her keep it on as she lays in the crate for about 20-30 minutes. When I attempt to flex her leg I can feel (not hear) a clicking in the joint. My vet felt it as well during the first visit back but didn't think it was severe. I don't know what to do now...she was recovering so well showing strength in the knee but now it seems if she were to ever play w/ other dogs or run off the leash it would render her lame. I'm too afraid to let her play too much or too rough.
Has anyone ever had this problem? Should I be more concerned about the clicking I feel. She doesn't seem to be in much pain especially when I give her a deramaxx and get her walking. I need some advice.

Thanks in advance. Oh by the way I'm new here, seems like a good board.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Help!!! Today I heard a clicking noise as I let her walk up stairs. It didn't seem to bother her but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

TTT

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Hi there! My 2 year old female APBT had her ACL repaired in late November last year (back left leg). She also was doing REALLY well for the first month or so after and then she slipped a little going up the stairs one day and then bam she was limping again. I took her back to the vet and he did an exam and said that the repair was still okay and nothing seemed out of place --- but ever since then she has been limping off and on. Sometimes she seems fine and will run around my apartment at full speed but other times I can see she is in pain - she is taking Rimadyl for the pain/swelling and the vet said that she may permanently have the limp, theres no way to tell. I have not done any off the leash exercising with her at all - the only running she has done is around the house (which she does plenty off). If you have spoken with the vet about the clicking noise/feel and he doesn't seem concerned then I wouldn't be either, frankly from the research I have done and in speaking with my cousin who is a vet tech and my vet it sounds like this will continue to be a lifelong problem that will never 100% repair itself ---- that being said - if the pain meds don't seem to be helping call the vet again!!! Better to be too cautious!!!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Exactly what kind of surgery did they do?

This is not a common problem & leads me to believe that something is going wrong/has gone wrong. Most dogs do perfectly fine after the surgery & go on to live a normal life without any problems save some arthritis later on in years.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts