Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'm a little worried here. Harley was spayed about 2 weeks ago. Sutures were removed this past Monday. Vet said everything looked good. Well later on that evening I noticed a bit of discharge coming from her whatnots. It was a clear slime type w/ a bit of blood. I wiped it off and decided to keep an eye on her. A bit ago I noticed it again this time a bit more than the last. Is this normal? What would cause this?

Kelly

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I don't want to get you all worried if it's nothing, but from my experiences it does not sound normal... especailly with the blood. Hopefully someone will have a better answer though before you get your heart going toooo much!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to call in the morning anyways. She's acting normal, playful, eating and drinking fine. I'm just a bit concerned.

Kelly

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Called the vet this morning and she asked me if Harley had been in heateither when or shortly before I took her in. I told well yeah she had just come out of heat a few days before. She said this was normal because of the previous heat cycle. I will still keep an eye on her closely though, but I did feel a little better after speaking to the vet.

Kelly

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
AkainePSP said:
Oh god what if it's pyometra? And is this caused by the vets spay job?
Pyometra is an infected uterus. During the spay, the uterus was removed (along with the ovaries & tubes) so you don't have to worry about this.

Just one question, was your dog in heat prior to the surgery?

Ahhh, nevermind, just read your previous post. However, do keep an eye on her. If you notice that the condition is getting worse or that she is becoming lethargic or going off her feed, head straight to your vet asap.

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
Cassie had similar bloody discharge from the time the pups were born. I assumed it would go away after her spay, but it didn't. The vet gave her antibiotics, and it cleared it right up. Good luck. Keep us posted on how she's doing.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes she was in heat prior to surgery but I thought the heat cycle had finished the week before she had her spay. There is actually a condition called stump pyometra which is caused by remnant of uterus left after a spay. It's very rare this happens but possible.

Kelly

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
AkainePSP said:
yes she was in heat prior to surgery but I thought the heat cycle had finished the week before she had her spay. There is actually a condition called stump pyometra which is caused by remnant of uterus left after a spay. It's very rare this happens but possible.

Kelly
True. Also if even the very tiniest piece of ovarian tissue is left behind, then your dog will still simulate her heat cycle.

My advice is to take her back in to the vet to have her rechecked.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts