Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had Daisy spayed on Friday. Everything went well although she was in pain so the vet gave us some pain meds. The day following the procedure she began to pee several times an hour. When we would take her outside to go to the bathroom she would pee 6-8 times on the short walk around our building. She has also been peeing in the house since the procedure. Is this normal? Daisy is 8 months old and has been completely housebroken since she was 4 months. If it is normal how long will it last. If not, any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Not really sure if it is expected, as I have never had a female immeadiatly post-spay, but I would expect that her bladder may be irritated (they have to move it out of the way a little to get the uterus) from the moving it during surgery and from the catheter. Could have a UTI from the catheter too. But I also know that incontinence is a side effect of spay sometimes.
Although they should have given her antibiotics during surgery to prevent infection of the surgical site, I would talk to your vet ASAP about it, cuz if it is a UTI, you want to get it cleared up before it causes any troubles with her healing from major surgery. .

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I can say from working at a vet hospital for a few years that something isn't right.First off if you brought her home the same night she was fixed then yes,she will be out of it and pee a lot.Come the next day though it should be like nothing was really done.She shouldn't be in a ton of pain.All dogs and cats that I saw leave the vet the day after there procedure went out that door like nothing had happened to them and were fine.As for the peeing that isn't normal either.I would call your vet and find out what is going on.None of the symptoms are normal.We never had any animal go home with pain meds after a spay/neuter.Just doesn't seem right to me but again I am not a doctor just letting you know my experience with all of this.Good luck and post back on what happens

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Sounds like a UTI.... Kate got one once and on one walk peed a good 8 times, but it was all just little bits. Take her to the vet for sure. I'm not sure if you have ever had one but they are horrible for humans to have, I can't even imagine for dogs!

·
Registered
551 Posts
My vet takes the animal the night before, does the surgery the next day and doesn't send them home until the following day. The other vet in town here where I live takes the animal early in the morning and then sends them home the same night. I myself prefer my animal staying the extra time. Harley is scheduled for her spay January 30.

Kelly

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for all the input. We were definitly concerned because Daisy's behaviour was so unusual but we really were not sure if it was just a side effect of the surgery.

I called the vet yesterday morning and they had me bring her in. They took a urine sample and said that we should have the results today. I asked them about the pain meds and they said that a spay for a dog is surgery and so there is lingering pain associated. However, dogs do not show pain the same way humans do so they prefer the dog be comfortable the few days following the procedure.

I will keep you all posted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts