Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Zoe was spayed on Wednesday. She slept the first 2 days after, which I guess is pretty normal, then she was fine for a day or two. Last night, she went to the bathroom about 5 times in the house. She also goes outside, urinates, then 30 seconds later, she squats as if she has to go again, but nothing comes out (she stays squatting for about 3 minutes, her thigh muscles must be hurting!) She also seems to get a sudden urge to go, she will go over to the door, and before I can even get the door open, she is going in front of the door. Is this normal after a dog is spayed? Any suggestions?

Called the vet, waiting to hear back...

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Sounds exactly like a UTI (urinary tract infection) which is definitly not normal and she needs antibiotics asap so it doesnt move into her kidneys

·
Registered
214 Posts
Not normal

This isn't normal, call your vet ASAP. Your puppy's body is working hard enough recovering from surgery, now a urinary tract infection. Poor baby. They usually clear up nicely w/ antibiotics.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Yes, that sounds like a UTI and get her on meds fast.
Her immune system is busy fighting her surgery and can't fight this infection at the same time.

It's quite common for a dog to come down with an infection while recovering from a surgery.
That's why most vets give meds while a dog is recovering after surgery.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. Vet called back and send to bring in a urine specimen for analysis. My husband is home today, so he is on a mission to collect some pee from Zoe. Apparently, she looked at him like he had 3 heads when he tried to stick a paper bowl under her when she was trying to go. Now he is trying to sneak over to her when she is going to go and she keeps running away. (Kinda wish I was there to see all this. )

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sounds familiar

Sophie did this, too, when she was spayed. The day her stitches came out, she began bleeding when she peed, and she would just go in the house when she was potty trained. We got really worried. She'd act like she needed to to but she couldn't and would go in the house like she had no control over it. The vet said she had a UTI and antibiotics took care of it immediately! She also ran a fever with it.

Good luck. Things will get better soon, I'm sure.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The poor thing, she is really having a rough time right now. Finally got the specimen yesterday and brought it to the vet. They were gonna test it and call us today. Want it get her on antibiotics (if that is what she needs) fast so she can start feeling better. She really must not be feeling well, she keeps putting herself in her crate and laying in there. Normally, she wants to be on the couch or hanging out with us. She even chose to sleep in her crate the other night which is very unusual.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Thats odd, when Kate had her UTI, they took the sample at the Vet and had the results in 10 min

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Zoe'sMom said:
She really must not be feeling well, she keeps putting herself in her crate and laying in there. Normally, she wants to be on the couch or hanging out with us. She even chose to sleep in her crate the other night which is very unusual.
This is when I KNOW something is wrong with Kate and she needs to go the vet!! She never goes in her crate unless we put her in there

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Normally the vet takes care of getting the sample, that's weird that they put that on you guys.
The key to getting a good sample is to have a leash on her so that you are guaranteed close
to her when she goes. Of course, the best sample is taken at the vet with a syringe. That's the
purest sample because it's taken directly from her bladder into a sterile syringe.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.