Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

Potty training problem.

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  cowsmom 
#1 ·
Guys,

I have heard that bulldogs can be slow to potty train but here's our issue.
Our EB Cooper is 5 months old now and mostly behaves himself toilet-wise.
He goes all night without an accident, the morning routine is we let them (he has a boxer-setter cross big sister) out at 7am on the button, they do their business and are fed then let back inside when they're done.
The funny thing is that later in the morning he waits until no-one is around then poops in the hall right at the front door usually on the mat! This has happens every 2-3 days now. He seems to purposefully wait until he's alone. I'll have left for work, the kids gone to school and my wife will be upstairs doing whatever then there will be a little surprise waiting at the bottom of the stairs!

My wife is convinced he does it for attention as everybody is either gone or too busy to talk to him! He usually has no problems doing his business while we're watching in the back yard and we give him lots of praise when he does it so I don't think he's afraid to go in front of us.

We caught him in the act 2 mornings ago; my son yelled "No" and whooshed him out the back door and I'm hoping this might help nip it in the bud!

I know I should'nt really panic as he's still only 5 months old but any advice would be great.
PS - we're long time dog owners and my wife usually gets them house trained very quickly. Our other dog took 2 weeks! But this is our first EB so we're on a learning curve!

See less See more
#3 ·
I am also in the pup phase again. Mine is 6 1/2 months old. I have found that he
will poop first thing when he goes out, then he eats and then he wants out within
two hours again to poop and pee. I think that not all of the poop has moved down
the track during the first time. Then when they eat, the food pushes the rest out.

All that being siad, try taking him outside again before you leave or maybe your wife
can take him out. But he does need to go out again.

I am with oznog, a crate is a must for a 5 month old that is not being supervised.
When I am at home, I have mine on a six foot leash attached to my arm. IF I cannot
maintain the leash because of some chore I am doing, then he gets put into the crate.

He does not like it, but he and the house are safer that way.

#9 ·
Crating has very good results in house training. I have had lots of pups in my life but this one was the first I had ever crate trained. He was also the fastest house broken dog I ever had.

#4 ·
Your pup is not a human with human emotions. At 5 months old he is not 100% potty trained, he can only hold it for as old as he is which is 5 hours. However, at 5 months of he has to poop he won't hold it he is a puppy. You need to be viligant and make sure he potties, then crate him or leash him to you. It's not the pups fault he pooped in the house it's yours. Not every pup is the same, they give different signals. Watch for his signals he has to go potty. Leaving him alone and not watching him = potty accidents. He won't be fully housebroken till one year old .

#5 ·
Guys,

Sorry for the late reply and thanks very much for all the feedback and advice.

We did'nt go the crate training route as we had never used this approach before with any dog, and to be honest I don't think it's used as widely this side of the pond!
We did restrict his movement around the house. We boxed off his bed and took him out every hour to potty. After about 8 weeks we found that he would go all night (8 hours) without an accident. I know, that's completely contrary to what everyone says, but that's what happened! He's only had one accident overnight and that's because we overslept and did'nt let him out in time.
Since my last post he's only had one accident in the house, again while unsupervised for a few minutes.
As per your advice we keep a constant eye on hime now at all times within the house. We don't leash him while in the house but he isn't left alone.
It's still funny. If we need to go out for a few hours he's locked up in the kitchen with our other dog (their beds are also in the kitchen) and he NEVER has an accident.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.