Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 17 week old French bulldog and I've had him for 4 weeks now. We've been on a pretty consistent schedule for potty training. I take him out first thing in the morning, after meals, naps, and play time. I wonder if I am taking him out too much to pee. During an hour of play in the house, he will sniff around and I will have to take him out 2-3x. He doesn't seem to be able to hold his pee when he is playing. I've heard that if I take him out too much, he can be conditioned to pee every half hour and will not learn to hold his pee. He averages 16-18 pees a day. So what can I do to teach him how to hold his pee. (Also, I've just started 2 nights ago leaving him in the crate for the entire night from 11:45 pm till 5:15 pm and he's been able to hold it the past 2 nights).
Any insight would help! Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
I would check to see how much water he is drinking when he is playing.
The more they drink the more they want to go out. But he does need his water.
Plus activity can activate his need to go outside. As he gets older and the bladder
muscles mature, he will be able to hold himself for longer times. Be patient. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. I give him 1/2 a cup of water in the morning, noon, and again for dinner. And i remove the water after dinner (at 5 30 pm) because he pees so much. I just dont know how often a puppy is supposed to pee.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I heard of people taking them out every hour so I'm not sure there is to much taking out. If they are sniffing around take them out. Have fun with your baby

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, I take him out sometimes even half an hour after he's peed. I'm just worried that I'm not letting him learn how to hold his bladder. Thanks for your insights! Hopefully, he'll learn to hold it longer sooner! *fingers crossed*

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
His utinary issues are causing the problem. Once he is better, this constant peeing will stop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts