Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Sorry this will be long, but if anyone can give me their opinion, it would be greatly appreciated. I brought in a foster/rescue right before Christmas. She came from a puppy mill that dropped her off at the rescue because apparently she couldn't produce. She is a 70lb Olde English. Cute as a doll. After having her for a few weeks, I started noticing thickening in her sides, so I took her in to have an x-ray to rule out pregnancy. The vet comes back in and said that her uterus s is extremely large, but there are no pups, so she has pyometra and needs immediate surgery. I called the rescue for advice, and was told to put her down. I decided to get a second opinion and have an ultrasound done. The ultrasound showed that she did not have pyometra and instead was full of pups. They said 8-12!!! I have done a few deliveries with my rescues, so I'm not too concerned about that, but what I am concerned with, is when she is due. According to the vets, the bones were not showing on 18th of January but pups were seen on the 19th in an ultrasound. The vet estimated that she was 38 days along on the 19th, but said that it was a very rough estimate. When do bones start showing on an x-ray? I have read so many different things. Right now, she is so huge that she can hardly walk. I take her out every hour to potty, and she still drips from her bladder because she is just so big. She has been FULL of milk for over a week now. She has done some nesting, but she generally does not move. Her temp has been right around 99.6 and this morining is is 98.6. I have an appointment for her with my vet on Friday, but I'm wondering if I should get her in sooner. I have no idea when she bred, or what she was bred to for that matter!! Any opinions would be great. By the way, she is staying with us forever, after all of this, I could never imagine letting her go. All pups will be spayed/neutered and adoped out, so if you know of anyone....hint hint! :) I'm just so worried for her!

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
Normally, when the temperature drops to 99 or below, she is within 24 hours of delivering. With my foster Cassie, her temp dropped only about 12 hours before hard labor started. How long has her temp been this low?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response. Saturday it was 100.2, Sunday it was 98.9, Monday 99.3-99.5 and this mornin it was 98.6. I just got done giving her a warm bath and let the warm water run down her sides. She loved it and I thought that she was just going to melt. She didn't want to get out!

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
Did you repeat the temp? If it's still below 99, I would be expecting puppies pretty soon. It doesn't sound to me like she's going to make it to Friday. If you're worried, I would call the vet just to ease your mind if nothing else. Let them know what her temp is and has been, and just see what they say. If her temp stays that low for more than a day or two, that's when I would start to worry. How easy is it to express milk from her nipples? Is she nesting? Are the puppies still active?

I just went through this in November, so it is still pretty fresh in my mind. About 12 hours before Cassie went into full labor (contractions), she began to show obvious signs of discomfort. She was extremely restless, couldn't get comfortable no matter what she did, and her breathing was heavy. She started nesting, and her temp dropped to 98.something. I only had to help her with the first one. He was butt-first and quite the little fatty. :)

Call in sick for tomorrow. :wink: :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Her milk is actually dripping out! No need to do any squeezing. She hasn't been nesting at all today, although she has in recent days. She is just laying there, granted she can hardly move! She has a very disgusted look on her face! I just took her temp and it is at 98.1! So even lower! I'm a little concerned about how many she may have too! How many did your rescue have and what kind of bully was she? My last rescue was an AB and she had 9. It was so easy because she did everthing. I just had to feed her everthing in the house, because she was underweight to begin with due to lack of care. Thanks so much for your thoughts on this. It is making me feel better!

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Oh I am so excited! I'm gonna have to watch this thread for replies. Please let us know how she's doing! I hope all the puppies are healthy, and that they find great homes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you know when the earliest date is that pups can be seen on x-ray? She just started nesting on my couch so maybe we are getting close??? It is just so hard when you don't know any of the important facts to determine dates! By the way, I'm in the North East US and will be looking for homes for these little ones after they turn 8 weeks. The only fee will be the neuter or spay cost, and maybe less depending on what I can come up with. Spread the word! :)

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
I've never had pups with a bully. I don't foster any specific breed, basically whatever walks through the door! :shock: :D My last litter was beagles, and the two before that I delivered were medium size mixes, most likely aussies. Cassie had 6, Josie Wales had 8, and Delilah had 9.

Okay - who's starting the pool???? I say she starts by 1am and has 6 pups!!! :wink: :D

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
OMG! Babies everywhere! :eek: Where was the moon about 60something days ago???I am excited for you. Whe it happens, I want to know everything.

Dibs***I get priority on this! Well Angela and I !!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
We have a pic now of your dogs belly, just for "fun" we should all post those "preggy" bellies and see who has the biggest!

My digi is broke, but I'll have my sis n law come over tomorrow night an dtake a pic.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We have heavy breathing and some panting going on tonight. She is under my kitchen table. She is trying to rest, but the heavy breathing isn't stopping. I just took a picture of her belly. I'm hoping for a smaller number, but it isn't looking good! I'm really hoping for tonight because these puppies are only getting bigger and I don't want to have to have a c-section. I'll keep you updated. I'm getting a little nervous now I must admit!

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
WOW,this is exciting.I will be keeping an eye in this thread as well.TAKE PICTURES OF THE LITTLE ONES!!!!
By the way I am also on the East cost....Hint hint.........LOL

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I would love to see a picture of her face. I have Olde English Bulldogges too :D Let us know how everything is going. Wishing you and your girl a safe delivery!

·
Banned
3,926 Posts
please if you can pics this would be a good thing to post in the fourm if you can i know youll be run off your feet but try please pic pic pic !this will be greta ! good luck :wink:

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
I wish you and your girl the best of luck with those pups!!! [-o< Can't wait to hear the news!!! :D

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I bet they start coming just after midnight! I hope all goes well for mother and pups. :D

1 - 20 of 78 Posts