Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK , so the other night my hubby came in after midnight.Buster was in bed with me.I was watching TV and heard my husband come home.Well Buster was out of it till he heard a nose come from the kitchen so he gets out of bed and goes to the stairs were he growls and gives a deep bark and then continues as he goes down stairs to check things out were he finds my hubby and the tail starts to go and what not.I was very proud of him cause this is sort of what he did outside a few weekends ago.Well today I took my older daughter to a friends house and took Buster with us for the ride.Well my girlfriend comes out to the truck to see Buster and he is sniffing her and tail is going and we continue to talk for a bit.Well she is one that talks with her hands and her hands are flying all over as she is talking and at one point her hand came into the window well Buster let out a growl and barked at her.I was taken back but yet proud.I really feel that he is protecting me.This will be the third time something like this has happend.In this instance with my girlfriend after he did that I looked at Buster and said It's alright and he was fine again.Maybe it is me and I am reading into it to much but I see I good protector coming out of him and I have to say I am proud of him.This is one of the reasons I got an AB because it is said they are loyal and great protectors.I also have to add that Buster is NOT a barker.The only times he barks and a low bark at that is when we are playing with him,thats it.Well whatever the case I am in love with the little meatball :D
For those of you who will ask he is 15 weeks old.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
lol kELLY I have a 15 week old AB pup also...she has been doing a bit of barking like that when we are in the car which I was suprised at her age, but she let out that low growl at a guy that was lookin at her at a stoplight lol..I told her no and it was OK but she wasnt too happy with him and she also has barked a few times upon hearing me come in a room unexpectedly...
You didnt get her in CT did you? They sound related lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,671 Posts
If you think your dog will protect you, you will probably be dissapointed. Threat display is not protecting, its just that, a visual displayl In most cases its done to get that percieved threat to go away so the dog can avoid conflict. The fact is, when it comes down to it, most dogs do not have strong enough nerve and courage to protect their owners from an actual threat. That is the FACTS. If you don't believe me ask yourself why so many dogs get washed out by protection trainers, police forces, and military. Because they ain't go it! Don't be fooled by a dog who growls and barks at people it doesn't mean a thing!

Do yourself a favor and go buy an alarm system if you want to be safe. If you have a family and are relying on your dog to protect them from a violent intruder you are putting their lives at risk because it more than likely won't happen. In fact the average pet dog could get run off pretty easily (at least many of them). In fact, many dogs who are quick to put on a viscious threat display are actually WEAK. I have seen it several times. Threat display means NOTHING!

We have had this discussion here MANY times before!

Don't kid yourself!
 

·
Agent Squint
Joined
·
3,627 Posts
Lisa said:
If you think your dog will protect you, you will probably be dissapointed. Threat display is not protecting, its just that, a visual displayl In most cases its done to get that percieved threat to go away so the dog can avoid conflict. The fact is, when it comes down to it, most dogs do not have strong enough nerve and courage to protect their owners from an actual threat. That is the FACTS. If you don't believe me ask yourself why so many dogs get washed out by protection trainers, police forces, and military. Because they ain't go it! Don't be fooled by a dog who growls and barks at people it doesn't mean a thing!

Do yourself a favor and go buy an alarm system if you want to be safe. If you have a family and are relying on your dog to protect them from a violent intruder you are putting their lives at risk because it more than likely won't happen. In fact the average pet dog could get run off pretty easily (at least many of them). In fact, many dogs who are quick to put on a viscious threat display are actually WEAK. I have seen it several times. Threat display means NOTHING!

We have had this discussion here MANY times before!

Don't kid yourself!
I agree with you, so don't get me wrong or think I'm "picking" on you. But, it's wrong for you to say she's putting her family's lives at risk. Putting their lives at risk would be dating or befriending a convicted sex offender or murder or taking them for a ride while you're drunk off your @ss. Having a dog or dogs that bark and growl, but may not come through in a real situation is HARDLY putting their lives at risk. I think what you meant to say is a security system would be a better option than a dog that might not actually protect them if the situation arises as opposed to "putting their lives at risk."

~S
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Dogs are a good deterrant, probably not protection.

Hearing a "big dog" bark from inside a house is a good deterrant for your average criminal, who is mostly an opportunist and will (in all likelihood) move on to an "easier" house. For this reason, I always praise and thank my dogs when they bark at the mystery noises outside. I also have a good lock system, a security system that's connected to the police & fire departments, and I keep my ground-floor windows free of bushes and other "hiding spots."

But none of this is actual protection from an individual who is intent on doing me personal harm. Frankly, I don't want my dogs to endanger themselves to protect me. I'd rather be hurt than have them hurt. But I'm a big wuss that way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alerting ............

First off my family is not in any danger.We have never had our house broken into or been in any situation that would put us in danger.My other dog Molly's bark I would think would be enough to keep anyone from breaking in,at least I would hope.
I am NOT saying that I expect Buster to attack someone if god for bid someone were to try and harm one of us.There is no way of telling if he would or wouldn't but the fact that he growls and gives that bark is at least letting me know he hears someone or something and to me that is his way of alerting me.I guess that is what I ment.He is already alerting me of these things.I said in the post above that I didn't get him just because they are SUPPOSED to be good protecting dogs but it is ONE of the resons.I could of gotten an AB and it not growl or bark when it did hear something and I would never know if something was going on so I guess all I am saying is that he is making it known to me that something isnt right.Thats it.I don't need a security system or anything else like that.I was simply stating what had happened and that's it.
I am NOT a person by any means that would put my family at risk and anyone that knows me knows that if you mess with my family you mess with me,I have no fear when it comes to my family.It was late when I wrote this and I guess I wasn't really thinking things through before I wrote but I guess what I ment to say was Alerting.So thanks for your comments.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
515 Posts
Sounds to me like Lisa was just saying that, if you are RELYING on an unproven dog to protect you, you MAY be putting yourself at risk.

Not just merely having the dog putting you at risk.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
the bark or just the sight of a APBT can intimidate unwanted people though. i don't think anyone really wants their dog to attack a person but putting on the display is comforting because generaly speaking alot of people are afraid of ABPT to begin with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,723 Posts
I agree with Lisa,

I think it isn't good for a pup that age to be growling and barking at people. That is exactly how Dozer was and I didn't really think anything of it. He turned out to be really fearfull, bad nerves, he probably would have eventually turned in to a fear biter in the wrong hands. I always protected him so he never felt like he had to do that. Lucy on the other hand, she has NEVER growled, except in play, and Rarely barks at anyone. I think in the long run that confidence is better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
451 Posts
I'd hate for anyone to be afraid of my dog. My dog NEVER barks at people or at the door, nor does he ever growl. I would never reward him for such behaviour, ever. But that's me. I didn't want a guard dog, which is one of the reasons I got an APBT. I really don't think people who have (and I know you don't Kelly) an APBT should reward their dog for showing signs of aggression eg. barking or growling at people. I am not so sure my dog would protect me, but I'd like to think if a serious situation arose where I was being assaulted by someone, that he would. But I don't count on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bremner53 said:
I agree with Lisa,

I think it isn't good for a pup that age to be growling and barking at people. That is exactly how Dozer was and I didn't really think anything of it. He turned out to be really fearfull, bad nerves, he probably would have eventually turned in to a fear biter in the wrong hands. I always protected him so he never felt like he had to do that. Lucy on the other hand, she has NEVER growled, except in play, and Rarely barks at anyone. I think in the long run that confidence is better.
Buster NEVER growls OR barks unless we are playing or he hears something that is suspicious to him.It is hard to say things when I am the only one who knows my dog and his behavior.He is afraid of nothing at this point and who is to say that he will stay that way.I'm sorry but I dont think a dog has to be proven to be protective of his owners.I dont buy it .I have had many dogs in my time and non who were proven or had proven themselves and who were excellent when it came to strangers coming to the door and odd sounds in the middle of the night.I have nver heard that a dog had to be proven to protect there owners.Sorry but to me that is BS.My Dalmation wont let certain people pass my front foyer(SP).These happen to be friends of my husbands that I dont trust and apparently she doesn't either.I had one guy stop in while my hubby was at work and she wouldn't let him pass and when he tried she bared all teeth and gave a loud and long growl and sat right in front of him.She is not proven.So what would you say she is doing? Is she not protecting me?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,849 Posts
If you believe your dog(s) will protect you thats fine. We are just all saying that you dont know FOR SURE unless they have proven themselves. For example How do you know FOR SURE you will pass a university exam? you only know if you TEST yourself, take the est. How do you know FOR SURE you are a safe driver and can drive, YOU TAKE A TEST. Testing a dog is the only FOR SURE way to know you will be protected. You dnt have to title, you dont have to do numerous times. Test your dog once with a epxerienced helper. Dont let the dog relize its a test and just do a senerio. See if they will! Usually 90% of dogs will run behind the owner, go in the house,run away. I mean if the dog HAS NO IDEA its being tested (thats it really set up) that they actually fear for their lives. and for your life.
What you believe in your dog is fine. At the end of the day i feel better KNOWING my dog will protect me, not just show "signs" actually do it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts
???

Lisa said:
If you think your dog will protect you, you will probably be dissapointed. Threat display is not protecting, its just that, a visual displayl In most cases its done to get that percieved threat to go away so the dog can avoid conflict. The fact is, when it comes down to it, most dogs do not have strong enough nerve and courage to protect their owners from an actual threat. That is the FACTS. If you don't believe me ask yourself why so many dogs get washed out by protection trainers, police forces, and military. Because they ain't go it! Don't be fooled by a dog who growls and barks at people it doesn't mean a thing!

Do yourself a favor and go buy an alarm system if you want to be safe. If you have a family and are relying on your dog to protect them from a violent intruder you are putting their lives at risk because it more than likely won't happen. In fact the average pet dog could get run off pretty easily (at least many of them). In fact, many dogs who are quick to put on a viscious threat display are actually WEAK. I have seen it several times. Threat display means NOTHING!

We have had this discussion here MANY times before!

Don't kid yourself!

HOLY F$%^.....RELAX A BIT people!!! She's making an observation...which most of us AVERAGE people do. just relax...is all
I can say.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
451 Posts
Kelly said:
Bremner53 said:
I agree with Lisa,

I think it isn't good for a pup that age to be growling and barking at people. That is exactly how Dozer was and I didn't really think anything of it. He turned out to be really fearfull, bad nerves, he probably would have eventually turned in to a fear biter in the wrong hands. I always protected him so he never felt like he had to do that. Lucy on the other hand, she has NEVER growled, except in play, and Rarely barks at anyone. I think in the long run that confidence is better.
Buster NEVER growls OR barks unless we are playing or he hears something that is suspicious to him.It is hard to say things when I am the only one who knows my dog and his behavior.He is afraid of nothing at this point and who is to say that he will stay that way.I'm sorry but I dont think a dog has to be proven to be protective of his owners.I dont buy it .I have had many dogs in my time and non who were proven or had proven themselves and who were excellent when it came to strangers coming to the door and odd sounds in the middle of the night.I have nver heard that a dog had to be proven to protect there owners.Sorry but to me that is BS.My Dalmation wont let certain people pass my front foyer(SP).These happen to be friends of my husbands that I dont trust and apparently she doesn't either.I had one guy stop in while my hubby was at work and she wouldn't let him pass and when he tried she bared all teeth and gave a loud and long growl and sat right in front of him.She is not proven.So what would you say she is doing? Is she not protecting me?
Ok, I'd like to add something that might help explain what people here are trying to tell you. Our family dog, who passed recently, was a 110lbs lab/newfoundland cross. He would bark his head off whenever someone came to the door. He'd bark when someone would pass by the house, he's bark when he heard something. Great alarm dog, and, we thought, great guard dog. When a situation actually arose where he should be "protecting" us, better believe that big "guard dog" went and cowered in a corner. He was scared and I don't even recall him barking.

Most dogs who bark and growl, do so because they are scared. When you said your friend put her hand near the dog while he was in the car and he barked and growled at her, that is NOT a good thing, IMO. That sounds fear-aggressive to me and not something you should be proud of. There was no threat to you and your dog, so he WASN'T protecting you. What was he protecting you from? Your non-threatening friend?? Sorry but that does not seem like behaviour I would condone or reward.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,723 Posts
Tara<3Boss said:
Kelly said:
Bremner53 said:
I agree with Lisa,

I think it isn't good for a pup that age to be growling and barking at people. That is exactly how Dozer was and I didn't really think anything of it. He turned out to be really fearfull, bad nerves, he probably would have eventually turned in to a fear biter in the wrong hands. I always protected him so he never felt like he had to do that. Lucy on the other hand, she has NEVER growled, except in play, and Rarely barks at anyone. I think in the long run that confidence is better.
Buster NEVER growls OR barks unless we are playing or he hears something that is suspicious to him.It is hard to say things when I am the only one who knows my dog and his behavior.He is afraid of nothing at this point and who is to say that he will stay that way.I'm sorry but I dont think a dog has to be proven to be protective of his owners.I dont buy it .I have had many dogs in my time and non who were proven or had proven themselves and who were excellent when it came to strangers coming to the door and odd sounds in the middle of the night.I have nver heard that a dog had to be proven to protect there owners.Sorry but to me that is BS.My Dalmation wont let certain people pass my front foyer(SP).These happen to be friends of my husbands that I dont trust and apparently she doesn't either.I had one guy stop in while my hubby was at work and she wouldn't let him pass and when he tried she bared all teeth and gave a loud and long growl and sat right in front of him.She is not proven.So what would you say she is doing? Is she not protecting me?
Ok, I'd like to add something that might help explain what people here are trying to tell you. Our family dog, who passed recently, was a 110lbs lab/newfoundland cross. He would bark his head off whenever someone came to the door. He'd bark when someone would pass by the house, he's bark when he heard something. Great alarm dog, and, we thought, great guard dog. When a situation actually arose where he should be "protecting" us, better believe that big "guard dog" went and cowered in a corner. He was scared and I don't even recall him barking.

Most dogs who bark and growl, do so because they are scared. When you said your friend put her hand near the dog while he was in the car and he barked and growled at her, that is NOT a good thing, IMO. That sounds fear-aggressive to me and not something you should be proud of. There was no threat to you and your dog, so he WASN'T protecting you. What was he protecting you from? Your non-threatening friend?? Sorry but that does not seem like behaviour I would condone or reward.
Thanks, that was what I was trying to say :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alrighty then people.Very hard to explain things on line but Buster is not a fear biter nor does he show any signs of fear or dog aggression.I worked around dog trainers from working up at the vet and know what to look out for.Molly she is a fear biter,Buster is NOT !!!!!I am going to say this again he alerts me.Who is to say he will ever protect me or not.I cant say that and for sure none of you guys can.Thanks for all of your input.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top