Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys-

Princess had her first round of PS training on Saturday. She took to the decoy pretty good the second time around. At first she just wanted to to the bully thing and jump on it with her fron legs and then bite it...

I will be working her twice a week and hoping to title her as soon as she is ready...

And of you with AB's in Shutzhund or PS I would like to hear from you. I am not looking to beat the Shepards in my club, but the prey drive they have is amazing. Also Princess is not vocal by any means, and that means point deductions. Any ideas?

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
What club are you training at Codye? Can you post some pictures? About the lack of barking, this is a problem your training director and helpers should have the knowledge to address...its not uncommon for bulldogs (and sometimes other breeds as well) to take a while to get barking. If you would still like to seek opinions on it there are probably much better boards out there for that than this one. :wink: . I thought i sent you some links to some working dogs boards but maybe I am wrong? Let me know if you need them. Please post some pictures!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Club is Utah Protection Sports: http://www.upsk9.org/index.php?categoryid=1

The trainer and his dog took nationals in 05 so is a great resource. So far I have only been once to the club, but they said that the barking, and prey drive need to be developed.

There is one other AB in the group, but he was not there on Saturday. The OB trainer works with Rotts, and she said she has good experience with ABs also. I am going to work with her on Wednesdays on some basic training, and get the basics down so I can work my dog at home. I am very serious about wanting to title my dogs. My brother was so impressed that I think he is going to bring his male down next weekend. He has a male from the same litter as my girl.

Lisa, could you send me the links to the working boards, I have the one to Bandog Banter but that is it... ANy others would be great.

The SH group in my area never got back to me, I guess since I am not working a German or Dutch they would rather not have me and my dog around. I hear the groups can be pretty dog snotty.

·
Registered
807 Posts
codye said:
Red, are your dogs vocal?
Well as of right now Chassis is not vocal when trainning. We are working on it. She is very vocal around the house. This didnt even start until a few months ago. She is just now 11 months old. Of course my pup is just to young still.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Codye, so you are you training for PSA?

Here are some links to some working dog boards where there are some people who train in PSA amongst other protection sports. If your AB has what it takes there is no reason why it can't beat a GSD. If your dog has good nerve and drive you should do fine. If not, then find another dog because nerve and drive is not something you can teach and in PSA if your dog is lacking in the nerve category forget it because the training and trialing involves alot of distractions that can be quite stressful to alot of dogs. It can be tough finding a dog that is able to handle it. Good luck.

Here are the links to the boards I was talking about.

http://members.boardhost.com/Chicagoland/

http://b4.boards2go.com/boards/board.cgi?user=jmd413

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lisa,
Thanks for the info. I am looking to title in PSA. Granted I have just started, when I bought Princess, I was just going to do show rings. She is a beautiful dog, and I think she has what it takes. But I also want to work her, so I am going to work her in PSA. The nerves and temperment are both things that I am testing her on, so far she has been pretty mellow. There is a local breeder, PSI Kennels, who is also forming up some weight pulling that I may see about. Though she is a member of the family, I know that she would truely love to be worked also.

When I play with her, I try to add as many distractions as I can. I do the bottle full of rocks trick, and also do this while she is feeding. It is to early to tell if she will have the nerves to handle it all. She enjoyed working out there, and gets lots of attention so I will keep doing it either way. If I cant title her so be it, she will get the work down, and enjoy doing it.

As far as beating the GSD's, I know she can compete in the OB and Bite work. But as far as trials I will have to keep you all updated. The trainers are top notch, so I am hoping that I can work her up to the level of the others. I know that the Rott has turned out a couple of titles, so I am thinking Princess can do the same.

·
Registered
807 Posts
We have a few titled rotts here in texas that train with Butch. I will also try and get Torco titled when it becomes his time. We have several GS's that he will have to compete with. Im not worried though. Butch has met Torco and seen how well he is already taking to the trainning of obedince. He is confident at this point he will be a great dog. Of course he is too young to tell about the nerve and drive. I posted a few pics of an AB and pit doing some work. I have several videos from over the weekend of trainning just have not posted them yet.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
That's really interesting. Even if you find more info on other boards, please keep us updated over here too! I think it's really cool to see all your dogs at work instead of play. I wish I could get into that stuff someday, but I wouldn't know where to begin, and I'd probably be in over my head. Kudos to all you guys!

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I have 3 Abs and i had 1 have issues to start barking he was almost 14 month before he started an dnow he does ALOT it will come thats the least of your worries for training it will come

·
Registered
720 Posts
I work in sport protecting ring, dont wory about your dog not being vocal especialy for a young ambull! My dog is 3years old and still dont bark at the decoy, unless we are doing seek and hold exercises but even then after a minute he will stop barking and just sit there showing his teeth, that decoy better not move though...lol!

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Hi Ambull04!!

I have heard of French Ring, Belgium Ring, Mondio Ring, PSA, K9 Pro Sports, and Schutzhund, but what is exactly is "sport protecting ring"?? I have never heard of it? Is it a new organziation?

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
ambull040769 said:
Its just slang! We compete for sport but your dog must be titled in french ring or Schutzhund ect ect!
I understand that you compete in sport, but what sport are you competing in? Is it Mondio Ring? I am not trying to be smart, just trying to understand what you train for?? Was there a problem with my question??? :-k

·
Registered
720 Posts
I compete in Schutzhund, Nitro is sch2 titled, so we will be competing in Mondioring this comming summer. I guess I should have used the corect terminology and said ring sport, but alot of people interested in training there dogs dont know what ring sport is so we all call it sport protection ring, thats what my trainer advertises it as. She is also my vet and she competes and breeds belgian malinois. I myself am just entering my 3rd year of competition so I am still pretty new to the sport but learning as I go. I still have some issues to work out with my dog though, he wont ever be as good as the malinois but I am just in it for the fun.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
That's cool Ambull04. Do you plan on trying for a SCH III before you go Mondio? I think I read in another thread that you are from Michigan? What club are you training at? I got my BH at a club in Michigan and I have been over to there to watch some other protection tournaments and have a few friends who train over there every once in a while (I live in Ontario just across the border from Detroit). Good luck with your training.

·
Registered
720 Posts
We dont have a club, my vet was the one who started it about 10 years ago, she started with basic obedience traing classes and she got into Shutzhund a year or two after that. She kinda told me about it when I first got my my dog and I was interested so here I am...lol!

We work with all kinds of breeds mostly german shepherds as one of our trainers is our local police departments k9 unit.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts