Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does protection training increase your liability? I have no idea, but it would be interesting to hear the thoughts of others.

·
Super Moderator
16,005 Posts
I am not trained in that area but I have been told not
to put up warning signs for dogs because it will increase
your liability - so if you have trained protection dogs I
would think it would be the same.

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
You're gonna hate this answer but it depends on the dog and the owner.
It's all about managing the individual temperament of the dog. But you can say that for all dogs, not just those that are trained in bite sports.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Do you mean literally? Or do you mean in the eyes of the law or insurance companies?

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will try to clarify my question but my knowledge of protection trailning is basically non existant. If your dog has received some type of training that involves bilting people, will this put you in a psotion of increased legal liability, if your dog actually bites someone? For example ,if you are walking in a park and your dog bites another walker and the person was not attacking or threatining you. Once again, I don't know, just curious to know what people think. I would ask my frilend who is an attorney, but he would probably charge me $400 for an answer! Thanks

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
A dog who is properly trained in PP would never attack someone at random, you are far more likely to get a poorly trained dog with no PP training to bite someone randomly like that. Remember PP training is an on switch but its also an off switch, and for a lot of dogs its mostly a giant game of tug.

Unless you are commanding your dog to attack random people which again you would have to be dumber then a post and should be charged (obviously).

·
Legend
5,197 Posts
Unless you are commanding your dog to attack random people which again you would have to be dumber then a post and should be charged (obviously).
Guess I need to find another way to keep all the teenage boys from trying to sneak in the daughters bedroom window then.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
in a word, yes depending on your local laws.
if your dog bites unprovoked, etc you could face stronger charges...its kinda like if a professional cage fighter or boxer gets into a bar fight, depending on where you live he could face stronger charges, possibly including assault with a deadly weapon(fists) because he is trained.

also as far as liability goes, check your laws. in general, if an intruder comes into your home, you are in the clear. some places the criminal has more rights than they should. in some towns. you could end up in court if you send your dog into your home to clear it, if you are in the streets and you get assaulted and your dog bites, in the car, it all depends. i know here i believe if you have opportunity to leave without the criminal knowing(aka, you come home and see your door open or windows broken, the law wantsd you to turn and leave and call the police, not go in. if you do and shoot the guy(or send the dog) it might not turn out well legally

1 - 11 of 11 Posts