Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this clip while viewing anti-BSL videos. I'm not sure what kind of dog that is -- anyone know? It's ENORMOUS. Looks like he still has some work to do(?).. I don't know, I'm surely not an expert. It kinda got scary toward the end, I wasn't sure if he was gonna go for something other than that "arm" or not!

http://www.k9freeconnect.com/video/79E01A24-430C-464C-A311-0C9890601321.htm

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
That dog is a Boerboel and I believe he is training in Schutzhund. You don't see too many of that breed in the sport. I beleive he weighs somewhere around 140#!!! I have also seen video of this dog tracking. I like how the dog bites full and he even took the helper down in the escape bite. Cool! His owner, Norman, seems to be working very hard with his dog. I have seen alot of videos and pictures of him while surfing around the net. Looks like a nice dog! I hope he succeeds I doubt there are too many Boerbels titled in the sport of Schutzhund so that would be quite an accomplishment for him!

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lisa said:
That dog is a Boerboel and I believe he is training in Schutzhund. You don't see too many of that breed in the sport. I beleive he weighs somewhere around 140#!!! I have also seen video of this dog tracking. I like how the dog bites full and he even took the helper down in the escape bite. Cool! His owner, Norman, seems to be working very hard with his dog. I have seen alot of videos and pictures of him while surfing around the net. Looks like a nice dog! I hope he succeeds I doubt there are too many Boerbels titled in the sport of Schutzhund so that would be quite an accomplishment for him!
Very cool... never heard of that breed. Are they bred in the U.S.? Looks like a powerful dog. Yeah that was fun to watch, I wish I could see that in person.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Boerboels

I don't know much about Schutzhund work, but it seemed to me that that dog was doing very well - very "into" his job, but also quite responsive to his handler.

The Boerboel is also known as the "South African Mastiff" (I think the name is Afrikaans for "farmers dog"). There are a couple of breeders here in the US, but they're still pretty rare here. We had a lovely bitch in some classes at my dog club - novice obedience and beginning agility - and she was a splendid dog. She learned new things very quickly, so quickly that she got bored with some of the repetition. Her owners did a very good job of keeping things fresh for her and not asking her to do the same thing over and over and over. In agility, despite her size, she was one of the FIRST dogs to really "get" the concept of weaving through the poles - one of the hardest elements, I think. Great temperament, too - always alert to what was going on, but in a very relaxed, confident manner.

Here's a good website: http://www.boerboels.com/English/boerboel.htm

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only reason I said it looks like he might have work to do is because he didn't always let go on first command, and the lady behind the camera said, "he's being hard headed today." I figured about the time I said "here look at this video, this dog did GREAT" -- I'd get 10 posts telling me why did DIDN'T.

I think it was awesome too, which is why I posted it. Good stuff.

·
Registered
181 Posts
LuvaBULL said:
The only reason I said it looks like he might have work to do is because he didn't always let go on first command, and the lady behind the camera said, "he's being hard headed today." I figured about the time I said "here look at this video, this dog did GREAT" -- I'd get 10 posts telling me why did DIDN'T.
My bad - I watched the video at work, where I don't have sound, so I didn't hear the repeated commands or the commentary! I should have mentioned that in my post.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
It takes alot of training to get a dog to work realiablily and under control, especially if you have a good dog that enjoys the work!! If it was that easy, everyone would have titled dogs! IMO the important thing is the video showed some control and the dog showed enthusiasn to work. His bites were full and committed from what I could see. Remember, this was a training video and not a trial. It takes alot of time to get from point A to point B. That video was better than alot I have seen posted here.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's cool. I wonder if I could find a club near me that I could just go and watch. I don't know if my dogs would ever take interest... well Heaven might, but Koa's just a big, clumbsy puppy. Do people at these clubs do this stuff for fun, or are they all seeking titles?

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
vodka6483 said:
it looks like a large medium sized neopolitan mastiff to me
Heck no -- Neapolitan Mastiffs are VERY wrinkly!! Their jowls just HANG from their faces.

BTW, hello Lewis -- where you been hidin'?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts