Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haus did this for the first time last night. I had just gotten home from work, around 6 pm. I was sitting at my computer chatting with Alf and Tommygun when Haus started running back and forth from the front window to the door. He was barking quite loudly and it was really kind of scary. It was that deep growl-bark he does sometimes. Anyway, I just ignored him and thought he was barking at someone walking down the sidewalk. Well he kept at it and had his hackels up. Now I was really freaking out, because I was home alone, and my boyfriend wasn't due home for another 2.5 hours. I heard a knock on the door, and it was my boyfriend's aunt. I'm glad it was her and not someone else, but I've never seen Haus act like that.

What do you all make of it? Is he coming into his protective nature, or is he forming aggression? He's 8 months old.

I suppose I should add that he calmed down as soon as I opened the door and he saw who it was. He sat down on her feet and let her pet him.

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
I'm no expert at this kind of stuff - not by a long shot - but it sounds to me like he was just being protective. He calmed down when you showed him it was okay.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input. Do you think this is something I should encourage or something I should try to correct?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sounds like he was being a early warning system...LOL! Josie will get right in front of my Wife and sit down between her and any strange male that happens to walk by. She just stares them down and starts walking again as if nothing just happened when she thinks he's far enough away. It's actually pretty funny when you see it for the first time. No growling or barking just a steady stare. :shock:

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
HausMommy said:
Thanks for your input. Do you think this is something I should encourage or something I should try to correct?
I see it as protection. I encourage Loki to be alert and run at the door when she hears something. She always has. Although if she starts barking too much I hush her because we live in an apartment. But I definately see it as a good thing.

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
haus is coming into his adolescence and i would suggest you not only don't encourage this sort of behaviour, you get control of it. personally, if somebody comes to my door i don't have a problem with the dogs letting me know. somebody walking by on the sidewalk tho, i wouldn't put up with that

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How do we get him to learn the difference? He doesn't bark when we're on our walks, only when he's inside and they are outside. He also calmed down as soon as I opened the door and said hi.

·
Registered
20 Posts
ok finally somthing i can help some one with, i have two dogs a rottweiller(female) and a american bulldog(male), if haus is a male he is definatly protecteing the house, also his turf i would encourage it but watch it at the same time. dogs can definatley sence when a stranger is coming or what seems to be a treat, but once your dog haus saw that it was ok he or she calmed down that is very good you should definatly praise your dog for that behavior. you dont want a dog that allows just any one to enter the house. my dogs does the same thing especially my rotty she is very protective. im still working on her behavior after she knows that there is no treat to worry about. haus was just protecting you its a good sign of you ask me. :D

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Loki only gets protective when someone comes to the door. I encourage that as long as she isnt acting aggressive. The only time she is protective outside is when someone is coming in the dark. She will stand at attention. If the person seems shady she may bark at them. The one thing we have to work on is when she is suprised or caught off guard by someone, she will bark.

·
Registered
146 Posts
murphy does that alot. he is almost 6 months and he's very protective. he barks alot at night when he hears things. it can be annoying, but i do feel really safe when he is there. my dad walked up to the door the other night and he barked like crazy, but as soon as i opened the door he was wagging his tail and licking his hands? by the way... does anyone know how to get him to stop licking stranger's hands?

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, he did this again tonight. I'm home by myself again, and there is NO one outside at my door. He's growling and acting like he's hesitant to go to the front door. There is no one on the sidewalk and I'm quite freaked out. He's not barking, just doing that deep, low growl. What should I do?

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
make sure all your doors are locked :lol:

my dogs bark with anything is outisde, stray dog or cat, or a person. they're my own person alarm system :lol: it is pretty annoying but i also feel safe knownig they will alert me when someone/something is outside our home.

haus might see a cat or something outside..he could be barking at that... :?

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AllAmericanPUP said:
make sure all your doors are locked :lol:

my dogs bark with anything is outisde, stray dog or cat, or a person. they're my own person alarm system :lol: it is pretty annoying but i also feel safe knownig they will alert me when someone/something is outside our home.

haus might see a cat or something outside..he could be barking at that... :?
He's not one to bark at just anything outside, especially animals. He'll kinda yip bark when people are on the sidewalk, but this was different. I guess it's hard to explain without you knowing all his different sounds. He was sitting halfway between me and the front door, growling. He did this for almost an hour and a half. Ugh, I can't wait til my lease is up to move!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
He sounds like he's becoming like Bella. :) If she sees the branches on the tree on our yard waving in the wind, she flies to the window with her hackles raised and growls like "ZOMG...GET OFF MY PROPERTY!" Sometimes I wish she wasn't so alert and protective because it gets annoying if we're just watching a movie or something, but it does make me feel safe.

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
Yeah, I have three and as soon as one starts barking, all three go nuts. It gets annoying sometimes. But, I still don't scold them for it. If someone we know comes to the door, they still do it, UNTIL I let them in, then it's all wagging tails and wanting attention. People we know, know they're fine as soon as I open the door. And, if it's NOT someone I know coming to the door, I'm glad they know they better not come in without me letting them in. I have a wife and daughter who are here often when I'm not. I'm glad people know before they even walk up my driveway that I have three big dogs who are, at the very least, intimidating. If a stranger, burgler, etc. did try to come in, they might still try to protect. But, in reality, the chances are they'd also be scared. But that initial bark and look people get, most wouldn't take the chance. And, that's what I'm banking on.

~S

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well we have no trees in our yard, and he'll stay at the window if someone's out there. He put himself between me and the front door and was giving his threatening, ready to attack growl. He had his head down like he was stalking the door. And then, when I got up to walk to the window to see what was outside, he stayed in the same spot, growling. It was creepy, because he's never, never acted like that.

·
Registered
807 Posts
They hear 10 times better than we do. He could be hearing stuff a street away. Or cats fighting or something you may not be able to hear. Nobody is going to come into that house with a pit or bulldog or anything of that size and look. There is no way somebody would be stupid enough. I would be real happy he is protecting you! Chassis will go nuts if somebody knocks on the door! Of course even if its the pizza guy she goes to waggin her tail and wanting attention after she see's everything is ok. As a matter of fact she is in the middle of doing it right now, Im watching TV and there was a door bell rug she thinks its at our door. Silly girl.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
HausMommy said:
Well we have no trees in our yard, and he'll stay at the window if someone's out there. He put himself between me and the front door and was giving his threatening, ready to attack growl. He had his head down like he was stalking the door. And then, when I got up to walk to the window to see what was outside, he stayed in the same spot, growling. It was creepy, because he's never, never acted like that.
Is your house haunted? :shock:

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
bella_blue said:
HausMommy said:
No. I went to go pick Dennis up from work, and I took Haus with me. Well we were coming home and Dennis noticed this white car sitting across the street from our house. He asked how long it's been there. I told him that it was there when I got home, but didn't think much of it. Well, there is someone sitting in the car. There are no lights on in it, the person is just sitting there. They have been for almost 4 hours now. I think that is what Haus was growling at.

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
HausMommy said:
bella_blue said:
HausMommy said:
No. I went to go pick Dennis up from work, and I took Haus with me. Well we were coming home and Dennis noticed this white car sitting across the street from our house. He asked how long it's been there. I told him that it was there when I got home, but didn't think much of it. Well, there is someone sitting in the car. There are no lights on in it, the person is just sitting there. They have been for almost 4 hours now. I think that is what Haus was growling at.
That's pretty strange. I'd be calling the cops to come at least check them out...

~S

1 - 20 of 23 Posts