Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an american bulldog that is about 10 months old... He seems to have a very bad problem when it comes to putting him on a leash. Unfortunatly he weighs about 85 lbs and I only weigh 140 so he tends to yank me around a little bit when I take him outside. I've tried just about everything to get him to stop, but it doesnt seem to work... What makes things worse, is that I live on the second floor of an apartment building, and so when I have to walk him down the steps he comes very close to pulling me down face-first; the only method that seems to save me is running down the stairs when he pulls. I tried a prong collar... It worked for a few weeks, but when he got used to it, the pulling started again. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to get him to quit?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I believe the first step would be to get him to learn to walk outside before you attempt the stairs. When he learns to walk by your side and not pull on a normal walk, he should do the same thing any time he is one a leash.

Have you tried constantly changing the direction you are walking? Keep him on a fairly close leash, walk about 5 feet then just turn around and start walking the other direction. continue doing this after various lenghts of feet. This gets him to realize that he needs to pay attention to you.

With the prong collar... I would try it again, a bully shouldn't "get used to it". Make sure he only wears it when going for a walk. Make sure it is high up on his neck, right behind his ears, and is tight but not pinching him when he is just wearing it. When you walk him with the prong, don't let him just pull and pull, that won't do anything, Kate ignores that to. But when he starts to pull, give a quick tug on your end, like a snap, and keep doing that until he stops pulling. do not let him just pull with you pulling right back.

Make sure you are using a nylon shorter leash too. No retractable leashes, you have no control over a dog with a retractable, especially a bully

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the tip

Thanks, I will try that. Also, Im glad that you stated how the collar should fit... I've never used a prong before I got rocky and so I just let it hang low on his neck. Maybe thats why it didnt work so well...

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
ahhh that is EXACTLY why it didn't fit right! I didn't know either until I joined this group.

Behind their ears they are super sensative, so just the slightest pull gets their attention. Lower on the neck is where most of the muscle mass is, they feel little there

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
With the prong collar, if it's sitting lower on their neck, you're also risking damage to the trachea. With mine, I thought it was supposed to slip over her head, and I would have to be fairly careful to keep it in place. I realized later you could unhook it, and even remove links if neccesarry. Another thing to remember is that when you're giving that short tug (vs. constant pressure), I've read that you should actually tug them back to the exact spot you want them, even if it means their front feet come off the ground. In this way, they are supposed to learn EXACTLY where you want them.

As far as the turning goes, I've read you should start making 90* turns right (if you turn left, it's harder to keep them where they should be, you'd be walking into him)

Lastly, don't forget to bring your dog's favorite reward, and praise to the moon ever correct step he takes. With training, we all know the power of praise :wink:

Good luck!

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
It sounds like you and your dog need some obedience training. Having a dog pull you around like that could be very dangerous to yourself, your dog, and other people and dogs also. If your dogs gets away from you anything can happen. Find a qualified trainer who uses a combination of both positive and negative methods of training and get control of your dog.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wearing the collar right

For the past few days I have placed the prong collar where it is actually supposed to be and have had wonderful results... Rocky doesn't pull like he did when I had it on him incorrectly. The only time he really pulls is after I get him outside and if he has to pee really bad - he tries to run full speed for the grass (lol)... I cant really blame him for that.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Go and get some training. And say hello..........

say hello to Mr. Tritronics. :lol: :lol: Like magic.

Make sure you LEARN to use it correctly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts