Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some nights Zoe refuses to go outside for her final potty break for the night. These seem to be the same nights that there are reports about bears in the neighborhood. Could she be smelling the bear? Has anyone had any experiences with encountering a bear at night. Not sure if she will run away, if the bear will run away or if one of them may try to attack the other. Getting a little nervous to take her out at night...

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
WOW... :shock: All I can say is I'd die if a bear was in my yard, much less a sighting even close to where I live...if it's not obvious we don't have creatures like that in our neck of the woods... :shock:

Good luck either way, and sorry I have no advice... :oops:

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
Zoe'sMom said:
Some nights Zoe refuses to go outside for her final potty break for the night. These seem to be the same nights that there are reports about bears in the neighborhood. Could she be smelling the bear? Has anyone had any experiences with encountering a bear at night. Not sure if she will run away, if the bear will run away or if one of them may try to attack the other. Getting a little nervous to take her out at night...

Thanks!
Is it the bear from the Sopranos?

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately the bear is real and around on a regular basis. It went thru our trash, carried a bag of garbage into another yard, sat on a rock and ate it. (Had cleaned out the fridge that day, he ate everything except steamed cabbage...guess he is not a fan of cabbage.) Anyway, bungee corded the trash can closed and when we got up the next day, the can was crushed. Looks like he jumped on it to bent is so the lid would come off.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Family of 5 said:
Zoe'sMom said:

Thanks!
Is it the bear from the Sopranos?
:laughing3:

·
Registered
101 Posts
wow! we dont have bears over here. we do get the odd bumble bee though! :lol: bears are cool! i`d be setting up a hide and buying a new camcorder. :D

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have not seen the bear yet (moved into our house recently), but the neighbors have seen it. It is supposedly 200lbs, which is not overly big (big enough for me!) Think they are more afraid of people then we are of them, but if you surprise them and they have cubs with them they can be dangerous. Not sure how they react to dogs, though.

Yeovil Red, Cute pup, what kind?

No Bears in England?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Zoe'sMom said:
Have not seen the bear yet (moved into our house recently), but the neighbors have seen it. It is supposedly 200lbs, which is not overly big (big enough for me!) Think they are more afraid of people then we are of them, but if you surprise them and they have cubs with them they can be dangerous. Not sure how they react to dogs, though.

Yeovil Red, Cute pup, what kind?

No Bears in England?
Nope we dont have Bears.

(Its Tommy hes a Staffie)

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I heard about this bear on the news ( i am in Pa not far from Jersey ) and I am sure your pup has picked up the bears sent since it has been in your trash cans and yard so it doesn't surprise me she doesn't want to go out as I wouldn't either.........LOL I hope they catch it soon

·
Registered
410 Posts
My aunt lives in West Virginia and they have had problems in the past with Black Bears... Here are a few pointers that she does or has done... #1 she puts amonia down in the bottom of her trash bin to kinda camoflauge the smell of the food in there... #2 tied up wind chimes around the yard and also she but bells on her fence where the bear was coming thru (it worked for a little while then he just ignored them after a few months) #3 the last thing she did was to put a electic fence on the outside of her regular fence, and since then she has not had any more bear problems, a few good zaps and he never came back.

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
It sounds like you need Jack the tabby cat to come by your house to protect you and your pets.

(See Jack at the bottom of the photo)

Here's the story:

Yahoo News

Sat Jun 10, 9:34 PM ET

WEST MILFORD, N.J. - A black bear picked the wrong yard for a jaunt, running into a territorial tabby who ran the furry beast up a tree — twice.

Jack, a 15-pound orange and white cat, keeps a close vigil on his property, often chasing small animals, but his owners and neighbors say his latest escapade was surprising.

"We used to joke, 'Jack's on duty,' never knowing he'd go after a bear," owner Donna Dickey told The Star-Ledger of Newark for Friday's editions.

Neighbor Suzanne Giovanetti first spotted Jack's accomplishment after her husband saw a bear climb a tree on the edge of their northern New Jersey property on Sunday. Giovanetti thought Jack was simply looking up at the bear, but soon realized the much larger animal was afraid of the hissing cat.

After about 15 minutes, the bear descended and tried to run away, but Jack chased it up another tree.

Dickey, who feared for her cat, then called Jack home and the bear scurried back to the woods.

"He doesn't want anybody in his yard," Dickey said.

Bear sightings are not unusual in West Milford, which experts consider one of the state's most bear-populated areas.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
tabby and bear

Can't believe that! Maybe i don't need to worry about the bear! That is not too far from where I live.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Re: tabby and bear

Zoe'sMom said:
Can't believe that! Maybe i don't need to worry about the bear! That is not too far from where I live.
I would make a wooden box with a lock to keep the bears away, the bear will be back, they are smart, and it got food from your house, it will remember that. by the way if it's a brown or black bear they are more scared of you than you are of them. When we go camping in the mountins we use a box for our food couse of bears. just a heads up!

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the info. We are now keeping the trash in te basement, kinda smelly, but better than running into a bear. Have heard that they keep comming back once they find food. Do you think they mess with the bbq if it smells like food?

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
Zoe'sMom said:
Thanks for the info. We are now keeping the trash in te basement, kinda smelly, but better than running into a bear. Have heard that they keep comming back once they find food. Do you think they mess with the bbq if it smells like food?
They'll mess with ANYTHING that even remotely smells like it may have had food in/on it at some point. They're scavengers rather than hunters when they can be. I'm telling you, get Jack the tabby cat, he'll keep the bears away.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Once I was camping in my boyfriends RV at our friend's house, which is out in the boonies up in Napa. Well, this black bear was outside rummaging through things, and I just opened the door and threw a rock near him. In the pitch darkness he didn't see the pool when he ran off and flopped right in! Poor thing; I felt bad about startling him like that.

Your small puppy might be a target for a bear if he's out by himself. They do eat smaller animals that they can catch. Well, grizzlies do, so I would assume black bears would also. Like everyone said, just keep everything even remotely close to food stuff hidden away real well. They will stick around if they're finding food. Where I live bears are captured and relocated if they wander into a residential area.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
My Mom has a "friendly" neighborhood black bear. She was out in her garden and she felt someting furry brush her back. Thinking it was her cat, she reached back to pat it. It was the bear. Me, I'd have had a heart attack on the spot. Apparently the beast just went on his way. Maybe you could go outside with the puppy late at night?

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
nanniesrock said:
My Mom has a "friendly" neighborhood black bear. She was out in her garden and she felt someting furry brush her back. Thinking it was her cat, she reached back to pat it. It was the bear. Me, I'd have had a heart attack on the spot. Apparently the beast just went on his way. Maybe you could go outside with the puppy late at night?

I have a cousin who used to feed the bears at his camp. He'd put ice cream on his beard and let them lick it off. He never had anything bad happen to him, luckily...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts