Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to give everyone an update on my new pup. We got him Saturday, and he did great all day, and most of Sunday, then Sunday night he started acting funny - puking & diarrhea. We took him to the vet on Monday & they said he was dehydrated and had an upper respiratory infection - gave us some meds & sent him home. He didn't get any better, and we ended up taking him to the animal hospital Tuesday night & he tested positive for parvo. Because he didn't have straight blood in his poop, the vet said he felt he had a good chance. So far he's been improving awesomely (if that's a word..lol) They took him off his IV this morning, and said as long as he keeps his food & water down all day today that he can go home in the morning!!! :D

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
That's great that he's doing better.

So you just got him and he was sick? Have you contacted the breeder? If he was sick when you got him he probably contracted it there.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Care said:
That's great that he's doing better.

So you just got him and he was sick? Have you contacted the breeder? If he was sick when you got him he probably contracted it there.
Yes, we've contacted them, but all they want to do is argue with us and say it's not parvo. I was standing right there when the vet did the parvo test...I watched it turn blue - meaning it tested positive. The breeder also informed me he hadn't had his 7 in 1 shot yet, which includes the parvo shot. They initially said they would buy the pup back from us, but I said no, because now we love him & don't want to give him up. So, they've agreed to pay half of the vet bill. They claim none of the other pups have ended up sick, but I don't see how that is possible...

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Oh I was afraid this wasn't going to have a happy ending when I started reading. THANK GOD. Give him kisses for me when he feels all better. xoxox

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LuvaBULL said:
Oh I was afraid this wasn't going to have a happy ending when I started reading. THANK GOD. Give him kisses for me when he feels all better. xoxox
We most definately will!!! My husband took our daughter to go visit him this morning, and since he's not hooked up to anything anymore, they were able to take him out of the cage, and he was running around & chewing on my daughter...so he's going to pull through!!! :D

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
I love how they think that they can just buy the pup back, as if it's just an object and you have no attachment to it. I thought the same thing when Koa was little. How could you return it? At least they're paying half the vet costs, 'cause that's going to be nasty. The fact that he knows that the pup never had the vaccination, but will deny that it could be parvo is rediculous! :x

I'm glad he's going to pull through! Parvo is nasty!

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
I almost forgot about that... who would have predicted my weakling little puppy would have turned into such a horse??! LOL

Glad that your baby is recovering fast. He is a survivor!!!

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
augrad said:
I love how they think that they can just buy the pup back, as if it's just an object and you have no attachment to it. I thought the same thing when Koa was little. How could you return it? At least they're paying half the vet costs, 'cause that's going to be nasty. The fact that he knows that the pup never had the vaccination, but will deny that it could be parvo is rediculous! :x

I'm glad he's going to pull through! Parvo is nasty!
Yes, I know! The estimate alone is $300-500.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
At least they're paying for half the vet bills. What a bunch of a$$s. I was concerned thinking maybe the other pups had it. They probably haven't warned the other people who bought pups from them. :!:

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Care said:
At least they're paying for half the vet bills. What a bunch of a$$s. I was concerned thinking maybe the other pups had it. They probably haven't warned the other people who bought pups from them. :!:
They claim they have, but there's no way to know for sure. They kept one of the pups themselves, and she said she's doing fine. They had a solid white male that went to Pennsylvania, then we got the other male, and the other female is with one of their friends. The breeders have a total of 26 dogs, so if they love them like they say they do, then they'll be ensuring they're not sick as well.

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
Was the pup shipped to you? Is there any way he picked it up between their kennel and your house? He never should have been sold without any vaccinations at all. :x

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
You need to really clean up the house while he is gone. Bleach everything down!! EVERYTHING! If you can bleach the yard too. I hope everything works out and he gets all better. ~Vonna

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
augrad said:
Was the pup shipped to you? Is there any way he picked it up between their kennel and your house? He never should have been sold without any vaccinations at all. :x
The kennel is located in Alabama, and we're in Tennessee. We met them halfway, so no, he wasn't shipped. Plus, the vet said it lays dormant in their system for 5-7 days before any symptoms occur. So he definately had it before we got him. And as far as his shots go...she said he had his 3 weeks shots - whatever that consists of - but didn't have his 6 weeks shots - which consists of the parvo shot. :evil:

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Chances are, the pup contracted Parvo at the breeders. It generally takes 7-10 days after exposure to show symptoms and test positive.

Im sure you probably already read tons of info about it, but I found this site very informative: http://www.workingdogs.com/parvofaq.htm

Glad that your pup is feeling better!

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SugarBear said:
You need to really clean up the house while he is gone. Bleach everything down!! EVERYTHING! If you can bleach the yard too. I hope everything works out and he gets all better. ~Vonna
That has already been done. I took the day off yesterday to take care off all that.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
apbtgurl26 said:
SugarBear said:
That has already been done. I took the day off yesterday to take care off all that.
Good job Momma!!!!

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
SugarBear said:
apbtgurl26 said:
SugarBear said:
Good job Momma!!!!
We love our babies, and even though our boxer is up to date on shots & the vet said there's a slim to none chance she would catch it, I don't want to take any chances! :D

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The vet just called & said Koda did great last night - no puking or diarrhea - so he gets to come home today!!! I'm so excited... :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.