Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

We are getting a puppy in a couple weeks, and I can foresee that there will probablly be some issues with the pupp going after my 1 year olds toys, and her wanting to share her toys with him too (she loves to share all of her stuff, and loves dogs and already likes to share all of her toys with my parents dog, bless her heart!). I have never had a baby and a puppy at the same time, so how do you teach the puppy which toys are his?? A lot of the toys for a young child look a lot like, and do a lot of similar things as puppy toys, so I'm guessing it could potentially be confusing. But I don't want the puppy to end up destroying her toys either.

I know the simple answer sounds like "just put the toys up and bring the one she wants to play with out", but the thing is that she doesn't ever just play with one toy for any amount of time, she likes to go from toy to toy, and then back again, LOL. The toys end up everywhere because she likes to run around with them too.

Also because she likes to share I'm sure it will give the puppy mixed messages. I'll be saying "no", and she'll be sneaking him stuff!
I'm wondering if anyone has had to deal with this sort of issue before? I know that we haven't even got him yet, and it isn't even a problem yet, but I can definetly see there being potential for one. At least I'm sure he will love her to death because she will contribute to spoiling him rotten! LOL.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I'm sorry I have no advice for you but am going thru this myself right now! I'm looking forward to seeing if anyone has suggestions!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rachel, I figured that not too many people would be able to help with this one, LOL. I was thinking of putting that yucky sour apple chew deterent on my daughter's toys, but then I remembered my daughter chews her toys too, LOL.

Plus I had a dog that LOVED that stuff, and I unknowignly went around spraying everything he might like to chew with it, and it ENCOURAGED him to try to eat everything he wasn't supposed to. When it was crab apple season he would lay under the tree eating every apple that fell...wish I would have known before I sprayed all my valuables!!

So now I am just hoping that he REALLY just loves his bones, and that's all that he'll want....yaaa right! LOL.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
yeah, I'm guessing this is a hard one to figure out too. I'm just trying to keep the kids toys in their room and keep the puppy out of there. That has cut down on the amount of things she chews....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts