Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 14 week old American Bulldog puppy. She is absolutly great, except when I walk her she growls, and snarls at other dogs when they bark at us. She also try's to force herself toward the barking dog or dogs. I don't know whether to correct her, or tell her to leave it, as if I don't even reconize it. If I am walking with my wife and kids she does it as well then sniffs each one of as and try's to lead us. I don't know if this is her trying to protect us, or if she is over aggressive. She also does it when she see's a stranger walking towards us. I forgot to mention I walk at night most of the time. Please help, any tips are better than none at all. Thanks

·
Registered
790 Posts
So, what is wrong with your put?

Sounds like a GREAT dog with good temperment.

It is a bulldog.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
I would correct the behavior, and I think if you work consistently with your pup, you can CURB some of that behavior...but you're never going to cure it. The barking at dogs thing, that is. As for pulling on the lead, you can train your dog not to pull. If positive reinforcement fails, there are other tools you can try, such as prong collars, as a last resort.

I walk my dogs at night too, I think many of us do, for the very same reason you do. Less distractions. Just keep working with her. It's in her nature to be aggressive toward other dogs, but you can still teach her to obey you and maintain complete control over her when on the lead. Good luck, hope this helped somewhat. I'm still learning myself, but I've learned from the best. (This forum, that is.)

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Unless you taught your dog what "leave it" actually means you could say it until the cows come home without any result. Dogs don't come out of the womb understanding the words we say to them they need to be taught step by step.

This behaviour is NOT acceptable and I suggest finding a trainer who utilizes both positive AND negative reinforcement and who has experience with dominant, dog aggressive dogs. Nip this in the bud now!!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My dog knows what leave it means. I am not bragging on my dog but she will sit, shake, speak, and I am working on the stay and lay on command. She is imo very advanced for only being 14 weeks old. When she is barking if I say leave it she will walk with me and leave the dog alone. She does not pull on her lead, I have walked her since she was 8 weeks old. As for hiring a trainer, I think I can do that on my own. I am home with her 24 hours a day right now because I just had back surgery. The barking at other dogs doesn't really bother me, I feel she is doing her job and alerting me that another dog is there, and she is also alerting the other dog that we are there and to back off. She is not aggressive to my other dog(plays rough though), and when I take her to meet other dogs she just plays with them, and runs around. So, with all that being said, my question to you is do I continue to let her bark and growl when a dog confined in a fenced in a backyard barks and growls first? Remember she will obey my commands if I tell her to leave it. I just want to do the right thing.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
i see no problem in letting her bark back.... our AB does this as well. Once we get past the other dogs, she's fine.

just don't let her run up to the fence and taunt the other dogs... just keep walking.

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Your puppy is like a sponge right now. You should socialize him as much as possible as 3 months is a little age and he should get to kno other dogs and new people or else you could have an aggressive or scared, possibly dangerous dog when he get's older. Socialization does not cure dog aggression in the bull breeds, but it can help A LOT. Also, I wouldn't reccomend the walking at night thing as when I walk Abby at night she also is edgy and growls at strange things in the dark. Much better, temperment wise, when I walk her in the day. Plus, some people that have extreme dog aggressive dogs walk at odd ball hours, like at night, so no accidents happen w/other dogs. So it's another reason to walk during the day.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Bruiser1523 said:
My dog knows what leave it means. I am not bragging on my dog but she will sit, shake, speak, and I am working on the stay and lay on command. She is imo very advanced for only being 14 weeks old. When she is barking if I say leave it she will walk with me and leave the dog alone. She does not pull on her lead, I have walked her since she was 8 weeks old. As for hiring a trainer, I think I can do that on my own. I am home with her 24 hours a day right now because I just had back surgery. The barking at other dogs doesn't really bother me, I feel she is doing her job and alerting me that another dog is there, and she is also alerting the other dog that we are there and to back off. She is not aggressive to my other dog(plays rough though), and when I take her to meet other dogs she just plays with them, and runs around. So, with all that being said, my question to you is do I continue to let her bark and growl when a dog confined in a fenced in a backyard barks and growls first? Remember she will obey my commands if I tell her to leave it. I just want to do the right thing.
That's all great stuff. I just gave the suggestion about pulling because you said she tries to force herself toward the other dogs, and tries to lead you. Those are correctible behaviors. Sounds like you pretty much got things well under control. Consistency is the key. I wish I had more time to work with my own dogs! Good luck and enjoy your new pup!!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LuvaBULL

I wasn't trying to sound rude, and sorry if I came off that way. I thank you very much for your advice. I am just rying to figure out what the right thing for my pup is. You, and a lot of others on this forum have dealt with this type of breed before , and I haven't. I have had a BullMastiff but he wasn't nearly as fiesty. I am just looking for direction. Thanks

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Bruiser1523 said:
LuvaBULL

I wasn't trying to sound rude, and sorry if I came off that way. I thank you very much for your advice. I am just rying to figure out what the right thing for my pup is. You, and a lot of others on this forum have dealt with this type of breed before , and I haven't. I have had a BullMastiff but he wasn't nearly as fiesty. I am just looking for direction. Thanks
Oh I wasn't being sarcastic.. I sincerely meant it sounded like you had your bases covered!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts