Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just adopted a 6-week old American Staffordshire female from an unknown breeding. The dog appears very healthy but her back legs are very bowed and she walks with them almost at a 90-degree angle. I have never had a puppy so if anyone can tell me if this is normal or not that would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
lajollaloco said:
We just adopted a 6-week old American Staffordshire female from an unknown breeding. The dog appears very healthy but her back legs are very bowed and she walks with them almost at a 90-degree angle. I have never had a puppy so if anyone can tell me if this is normal or not that would be much appreciated.
Hi~ Same problem here, only it is not likely a problem...

In my litter I have a female whose back legs looked very bowed, especially when she walked. I thought for a short time maybe she had hip problems. After taking her to the vet and such, it was not a hip problem. She would walk funny, not hold her balance, run looking in one direction but her back legs were taking her in a nother.

Yesterday she turned 6 weeks old, and her legs are tsraitening out.

The vet told me, and try this on your puppy, hold her back legs together and look at her stack. My females legs were considerably LONGER the the front legs, this is to to her being the littlest puppy in the litter, and and now that she is growing, they are going straite.

When her back legs were put together, she was standing alomst on her face!!!

She is just the slowest developer out of the litter. Maybe this is what is wrong with your pup. I had to exercise her more then the others to build back leg muscles.She was also very shakey, always trembling, and I thought maybe she had bad nerves, this too has subsided, and was due to her development.

Make sure she has good nutrition, Nutro contains Glucosamine, calcium Phosphorus and Chondroitin, all excellent nturitional value for those that need alittle more help then the others.

HOPEFULLY they will straiten, and I would also take her to the vet to make sure he agrees, just in case.

My little gal is better, thank GOD!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THANKS. This puppy was in fact rejected by her mother so perhaps that has something to do with it, however we had a vet look at her yesterday and she didn't see anything wrong. I think she's just learning to walk!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
lajollaloco said:
THANKS. This puppy was in fact rejected by her mother so perhaps that has something to do with it, however we had a vet look at her yesterday and she didn't see anything wrong. I think she's just learning to walk!

Lol, kinda looks like she needs a diaper, or was wearing a diaper w/ legs spread like that doesnt it???

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.