Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In another forum, someone asked if anyone knew what causes puppy breath. She got a few responses. Here are the ones I found most interesting.

1.) It is caused by the decaying of worms inside puppies' bodies.

2.) It is a sign of teething.

Anyone have any insight? I think I'm one of the few people who finds puppy breath absolutely repulsive. :lol:

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
In another forum, someone asked if anyone knew what causes puppy breath. She got a few responses. Here are the ones I found most interesting.

1.) It is caused by the decaying of worms inside puppies' bodies.

2.) It is a sign of teething.

Anyone have any insight? I think I'm one of the few people who finds puppy breath absolutely repulsive. :lol:
LOL no your not!! I don't find it repulsive but I don't go nuts over it either....I love puppy fur but I could not care less for the breathe....Your not alone :D

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I think it has to do with diet as well as teething.

Puppy breath
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Puppy breath is an informal term often used among dog breeders to describe the particular odor that emanates from the mouths of very young (unweaned) baby dogs (puppies).

Some people claim to find the smell of puppy breath to be pleasing. Others claim that it smells rank.

Claims to the latter are likely from people who are hypersensitive to the smell of the mother dog's milk, which can be encrusted or spilled on or about the puppy's mouth and face. Alternatively, the scent could potentially arise from trace elements or vapors of the milk and digestive fluids emanating from the puppy's stomach up through its esophagus via the natural process of burping to relieve gaseous build-up.

Puppy breath tends to disappear abruptly at about six to ten weeks of age, when it is replaced by the typical "dog breath" of adult dogs.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
puppy breath is usually a sign of worms....before they are treated, during treatment, and up until they are gone.....

i've heard this ever since i was a little girl and recently confirmed with my vet that is does have to do with worms....

although the above information seems to say different.... :?

·
Super Moderator
16,023 Posts
I do not think it has to do with worms because all puppies have puppy breath until they are old enough to start eating a solid kibble diet. I do believe that it has to do with nursiging milk and eating soft puppy food. In other words what they ingest is what is on their breath, sort of like us eating onions and/or garlic. :D

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Hoss said:
My vet told me that it was due to digestive enzymes. The enzymes change as the puppy is getting used to real food and not mother's milk anymore.
That sounds most reasonable. Although it should be interesting, these orphans I have are around 4 weeks and are now on softened kibble with a bit of formula and they have puppy breath like nobody's business! :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.