Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im sure this topic has been beaten to death. :lol:

I posted this under the food sticky - but as of yet - it has gone un-noticed :( Oh well.... ANYWAYS... can some one give me some ideas for a high quality puppy food that isn't outrageous in price? Im not sure what Annie's breeder is planning to ween her to (waiting for him to get back to me), but I would like to have some other options if it's something that isn't the greatest (doubt he'll feed her junk - but ya never know).

It has been litterly YEARS since we've had a puppy in the house, and last time we did - we fed him crappy store brand stuff (don't remember what - just that it came in a red bag :oops: ) because we didn't know any better.

Opinions?

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Well, since noone else answered I will give you my experience.

When Bear was a puppy I gave him Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Puppy. He did well on it. I switched him to adult at about 8 months. That's a big suggestion I've read on all the large breed forums to switch them to adult food early because of growth plate issues.

Molly was on Royal Canin Large Breed Puppy 32. I switched her to adult at 6 months.

To date I've had to growth problems. And I've been pleased with both puppy foods.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Those actually were two of the foods I was looking at but wanted other opinions! I only asked because the list of graded food in the sticky had very few puppy foods graded. I tried to grade one that WAS on the list - just to see if I was doing it right - well, needless to say, I failed miserably :oops:

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
66 Posts
nitro was on blue buffalo for a while but it really upset his stomach, so we changed him to natural balance duck and potato been very pleased since. both blue and natural balance are considered premium dog food. they are both a little pricy but from the research I've done its worth it.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
ryno255 said:
nitro was on blue buffalo for a while but it really upset his stomach, so we changed him to natural balance duck and potato been very pleased since. both blue and natural balance are considered premium dog food. they are both a little pricy but from the research I've done its worth it.
When I switched Bear to adult food it was DVP Natural Balance Duck & Potato. He's now been on Royal Canin Bulldog 24 for 3 months and doing great.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
The only huge difference between puppy food and adult food is protein. Puppy food has more protein, for growing bones. Alot of protein makes a pup grow to fast, which is way to hard on their bones, ect. I NEVER feed puppy food, I don't want my dogs to grow any faster then they should. Its worked for me, and I will always feed that way, IMO its healthier for them.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I feed mine Nature's Recipe, it was graded at a 100 or 101. I don't know about there puppy foods but from the different brands that I have graded for others, GENERALLY speaking the different types within each brand usually grade fairly close to one another. If you send me a PM with your ingred. list I will grade it for you if you like

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Tink, I replied to your post in the dog food sticky. :wink:

·
Registered
979 Posts
I used Wellness Puppy Super 5Mix. Of course it has been 6 years since I was looking at this food.

Paula

·
Registered
98 Posts
why not feed your pup DVP Natural Balance? Its ment for all Life Stages and its one of the highest ranked foods out (there are a few ranked higher). Its what I feed my 5month old OEB and my 11 yr old Lab.

·
Registered
235 Posts
My 11 week old Frenchie Bulldog started off on Nutro, but hes been snacking on our other frenchies Natural Balance Duck & Potatoe, he loves it, and so now hes on NB, and is doing great.....

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I fed Dirk (GSD) DVP Natural Balance Ultra Premium from the time he was 7 weeks. It is for all life stages and he is doing great on it. He has been slow and steady as far as growth and I love it! His coat is super shiny and he sheds very little if any and that is great for a GSD!!

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, I heard back from Annie's breeder (they've been really busy) He's weaning her to Purina Puppy Healthy morsels :pukeleft: Needless to say - she's NOT going to eat that once she's home. We pick her up on a Saturday (Oct 7) , and are going to take her in to the vet the following Monday (Oct 9) for a well check, to get her file started, and to talk about food. I have an idea they'll try to push Science Diet on us - but they've been pretty good in the past about not getting all bent out of shape when we refuse it.

Thanks for all the advice!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I don't even bother asking the vet about food and such because they push whatever they have. And when I look at the food at my vets it's Science Diet (My last visit I did see some Royal Canin as well which surprised me.). Sometimes as far as food goes I think we know more than them or they just don't bother with researching the good food. IMO - I wouldn't even waste my breath with asking the vet about what to feed. You know what the good brands are. You just need to feel out which your pup does best on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
We went with Nutro NATURAL CHOICE LARGE BREED PUPPY - LAMB MEAL & RICE FORMULA for our 7 month EBD. I went to Pet Smart with my Dog Food Rating list (thanks to this board) and narrowed our selection down to a couple. What sold us was a worker there that owned a EBD swore by it. So we will give this a shot for awhile - but I think we are going to try the Royal Can Bullog once he gets bigger.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
tonyd414 said:
We went with Nutro NATURAL CHOICE LARGE BREED PUPPY - LAMB MEAL & RICE FORMULA for our 7 month EBD. I went to Pet Smart with my Dog Food Rating list (thanks to this board) and narrowed our selection down to a couple. What sold us was a worker there that owned a EBD swore by it. So we will give this a shot for awhile - but I think we are going to try the Royal Can Bullog once he gets bigger.
At 7 months you should be considering switching over to adult food for a large breed dog. This helps to lesson the chances of growth plate issues.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Royal Can Bullog is good for a 5 month EBD? I have been feeding my pup eukanuba ever since I got him. The breeder suggested it cause thats what she feeds her EBD. Can you guys make a list of which is best to worst for puppy english bulldog. How tall are ya'll English bulldog and what food you feed them with.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts