Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got an AB @ 6 weeks old and she is now 7 weeks and she has growled at us a couple of times.She mainly growls at us when we tell her no and gets mad. We were wondering if that was normal or any ideas how to control it. She also bites at us and we have tried a couple things to stop her from biting but they haven't worked. We have heard to spray her mouth with vinegar/water when she is biting, we haven't tried it but was wondering if it does work. Any suggestions would be great , but we are more concerned about the growling and if it is normal.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
He/She just wants his/her mommy's nipple. :lol:

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Since she was taken away from her mother 2-3 weeks too early, the mother didn't get to teach her things like bite inhibition (having a soft mouth and not biting body parts like a little shark!) She growls at you because that's how she played with (and should still be playing with) her littermates. It's perfectly normal behavior, but of course you'll want to teach her to not bite and growl at you. At this age, she will probably be responsive to bite inhibition training if you make a really loud yelping noise when she bites you. Act like she's killing you, then walk away from her for a few minutes so that she associates her biting you with hurting you and ending play time.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I think Lincoln was too young when we got him... I feel as though his age was lied about and we had a similar problem. We had a really hard time with the biting. People said he'd grow out of it, but we stayed persistent anyways and maybe he did grow out of it, or maybe our consistency helped. I did a few things personally. Yelled OUCH everytime and walked away. This may sound mean, but we did make him bite his own paw to show him how it hurts. Now when hes acting up and gets a little out of hand I shove my hand in his mouth and he always settles down and licks my hand.

·
Super Moderator
15,983 Posts
Young puppies always sound and act like they are killing something.
It is part of their learning experience. When you are there to supervise her
take a hand towel, knot it up and give it to her to play with. She will shake it
and throw it up in the air and mouth on it just as if it were real. If she starts
to rough house you, tell her NO very firmly and give her the towel toy. Saying
OUCH does work because they do not want to hurt you they just want to play
with you. She doesn't know that she is hurting you - she thinks you are like
her siblings. If she played too rough with a sibling, they would let her know it
by yelping hard, biting back and walking away. Your biting back is to give her
the knotted towel. Puppies and dogs can shred a towel and swallow the shreddings.
So let her play with it but take it from her if she tries to shred it. It can cause an
intestinal blockage. So do not leave her unsupervised with it. I have tried socks
but they are too small and stuffed animals last all of 2 minutes. Knotted towels
are the only thing that will take the wear and tear and be large enough for her
to terrorize.
:wink:

·
Registered
634 Posts
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
Since she was taken away from her mother 2-3 weeks too early, the mother didn't get to teach her things like bite inhibition (having a soft mouth and not biting body parts like a little shark!) She growls at you because that's how she played with (and should still be playing with) her littermates. It's perfectly normal behavior, but of course you'll want to teach her to not bite and growl at you. At this age, she will probably be responsive to bite inhibition training if you make a really loud yelping noise when she bites you. Act like she's killing you, then walk away from her for a few minutes so that she associates her biting you with hurting you and ending play time.
6 weekes is not to early to take away from its mother as long as the pup has had lot of human contact

·
Registered
8 Posts
My AB is 8 months old and was taken from here moma at 1 month old and she doesn't bite or growl the only person she growled at was my friend when he came over and she growled at him because she didn't know him but she finally got used to him and now is okay with him.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Star said:
My AB is 8 months old and was taken from here moma at 1 month old and she doesn't bite or growl the only person she growled at was my friend when he came over and she growled at him because she didn't know him but she finally got used to him and now is okay with him.
why was she taken away so early

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
puppy growling

Thanks all for the tips, yeah i think i got a hard headed one but its all good it seems like she is starting to get the point with me telling her no.it just seems like she likes to talk back some times.

Mona
:twisted: 8 weeks 15lps :twisted:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi all again

It seems likeshe is starting to understand when we tell her NO but she gets mad at me like she was digging and i told her no and pulled her way from were she was digging she try to dig again and when i told herno and pulled her off she bites me and growls at me what you guys recomend.

Thanks all

Cinder
Kill the dog, put it to sleep, it's not worthy!!! i think i should at least give it a try she is onnly 8 weeks old i belive she can learn.

Thanks all again

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
Cinder
Kill the dog, put it to sleep, it's not worthy!!! i think i should at least give it a try she is onnly 8 weeks old i belive she can learn.
Cinder was just poking fun at another member, not directed at
your dog.
Good luck with training.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Cinder said:
*PeterC mode on*

Kill the dog, put it to sleep, it's not worthy!!!

Sounds kind of harsh to say something like that I would have to say your not much of a dog lover.

*PeterC mode off*

Love you, dude.

Sounds kind of harsh to say something like that I would have to say your not much of a dog lover.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Vieira2 said:
Hi all again

It seems likeshe is starting to understand when we tell her NO but she gets mad at me like she was digging and i told her no and pulled her way from were she was digging she try to dig again and when i told herno and pulled her off she bites me and growls at me what you guys recomend.

Thanks all

Cinder

Thanks all again
Yes you are correct you should at least give the pup a chance It's all about control.
Dogs are like people they always want to be in control just show her who boss and everything will be just fine..

I have a red noise pitt and I make it clear I am the boss not him:)

·
Registered
790 Posts
hmmm not many TRAINING suggestions I noticed

Cinder. Please tell this OP how to solve this problem.
This IS a training section, right? I am very curious.

Or is this "I have no life" section. It is actually pretty sad. This person is asking for help and you have your own weird sense of humor to post. Nice.

Vieria2, if you really want to know how to deal with this issue, please pm me. I can tell you. It is easy. This behavior is easy to solve and is very common among pups that have just been taken away from the litter. Please, no vinegar. What if you splash it on its eyes? You don't want it to fear you. Your whole purpose is to become its favorite thing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts