Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All! :D

Been in love with the breed forever, finally bought a lovely little Frenchie who I collect in a few weeks time, excited!!

Currently live in an apartment, i've read up on the breed (ALOT) and read they're ideal apartment dogs. I've booked 10 days off work once I collect her to bond and hopefully start the long road of training, i've decided to crate train, the only situation i'm worried about is when i go back to work. I live in Spain and a dog sitter/doggy day care doesn't exist here in our area. My partner has his own company so certain (most) days he will be home a few hours earlier than me however there could be a time where the puppy will be alone for up to 8 hours.

Basically I was hoping to get some feedback where people have been in the same situation and hopefully it hasn't been a problem??

Thanks in advance!! :)

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Congrats on taking some time off for your new pup. This will be great to teach him
crate training and that you will be back. Start him out on short periods and work up
to longer ones. It is difficult for a puppy to hold out going to the bathroom for 8
hours. As they get older they are able to. Is there anyone that you trust with the
key to your apartment that can come in and let your puppy out for some play and
bathroom time?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats on taking some time off for your new pup. This will be great to teach him
crate training and that you will be back. Start him out on short periods and work up
to longer ones. It is difficult for a puppy to hold out going to the bathroom for 8
hours. As they get older they are able to. Is there anyone that you trust with the
key to your apartment that can come in and let your puppy out for some play and
bathroom time?
Thanks for the reply!! I have a sister who works evenings (but doesn't drive) so we have discussed leaving my puppy with her during the day, however she already has a male dog and I really don't want to confuse or overwhelm my puppy by dragging her back and forth.. I want her to feel comfortable and relaxed at my home with myself and my boyfriend first and also until she has had her vaccinations. I've read so many threads on here regarding crate training and the majority have said puppy pads are a big no no... however I don't know if the first few months it would be worth putting them at one end of the crate just incase she is there for the full 8 hours and no one can come to let her out.... Ahhhh decisions!! :S

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
The reason puppy pads are not recommended is because it is difficult to train your
dog to know when or when not to use them. I had a poodle once that I paper trained.
If she spotted any teeny tiny tidbit of paper, boom - she was peeing on it. But, you
have to do what you have to do.

Once thing to remember, is to make sure that you do not leave anything in the crate
that she could chew up and swallow. That includes blankets, towels, rawhide toys,
toys with whistles, etc. The best type of toys for the crate are non-distructable
chew toys. There is one in particular which is called the Jolly Teaser ball. I have a pit
bull and she can chew through most anything, but she has never been able to chew
through that. Durable Dog Toys | Teaser Ball by Jolly Pets

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I know most dont like pee pads but I have a bully who is in my home for long periods of time and i use the washable ones. She does pee on other things sometimes but its mostly carpet strips in the kitchen but if you have to leave him in the crate for long periods of time perhaps test the pad out while you are home to make sure he is not eating them or chewing them instead of using them. oh congrats on your new baby. enjoy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts