Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fiance really wants to get Mason enrolled a special puppy class to start getting him more adapted to the little commands right now and helpign on housebreaking him.. I think he's doin great and couldnt be any happier but im just curious if we do enroll him could he be at risk of getting sick I was under impression he wouldnt be around other dogs until 14 weeks when he has all his shots.. but the puppy class is only up to 14-16 weeks I think...

whats a guy to do?? He's had his first set of shots..distemper...and two parvo shots..gets another one today but wont get his boosters until the 14th week which is 3 weeks away.. any comments on this?

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I wouldn't go until he is done all his puppy shots. Puppy classes I find are more for just socializing them, you don't actually teach them a whole lot. I took both of mine, but just to get them out, they already knew alot more then the classes were teaching. Good Luck :D

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
I agree....do not take him to those classes if he doesn't have all of his shots. It's not worth exposing him. I took my two to puppy classes but it was manditory that they had their vaccinations already. You really shouldn't socialize him at all until he's been vaccinated.

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
Most trainers won't take dogs in unless they have had all of their shots. We even had to bring proof before we could start the 18 week course we are in. IMO, it's a great policy to have.

Also, our training has never covered house training. It's pretty much all OB.

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well the in order to take the class you need at least two parvo shots and thier distemper shots... and they dont cover housebreaking in the class they mainly just include techniques in the little talks they have I guess...

the class will primarily teach basic commands..sit heel.come.down

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Obelisk said:
well the in order to take the class you need at least two parvo shots and thier distemper shots... and they dont cover housebreaking in the class they mainly just include techniques in the little talks they have I guess...

the class will primarily teach basic commands..sit heel.come.down
If he's had his shots, then a class won't hurt. If nothing else, he'll get some socialization out of it and you will learn the basic commands which you can continue at home. I had a ball with my dogs at puppy class. :D

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
he's had his distemper and two parvos, was supposed to get a third one today but work is crazy and I couldnt make it poor guy will have to wait till this weekend I think...

I think ill look into the classes sounds like fun... he loves people and gets curious when he sees other dogs but when he saw one of his own kind but much older he got kinda freaked out lol...

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Yep, wait until the shots are complete. You can always start training on your own before puppy school, though. If you've never done the basic stuff before, there's lots of do-it-yourself books on the subeject. I guess that would be like puppy pre-school. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts