Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if theres already been a thread o this but can you guys recommend an easy surefire way to puppy pad train my 8 week old bullie, I realize it will take time but I have no clue how to start..

thanks

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Why do you want to puppy pad train him? We tried to puppy pad train Bella when we were just leaving her free in the kitchen while we were away. Puppy pads just teach dogs that it's okay to go potty in the house, and that's a hard habit to break!

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't bother with the puppy pads. I find that to be very confusing to the dogs. I can pee on the floor over here, but not over here?

Are you crate training? If not I highly recommed you do.

Keep in mind, 8 weeks old is very young and you have alot of work ahead of you, as far as potty training goes. I think my dogs were around 4 mos old before they were fully housebroken.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
i only used the puppy pads in the crate when baylee was young. it helped b/c the breeder had her paper trained kinda.... so it was a lot easier to clean up.....

i would only recommend it in his crate, you can use newspapers too.... i just didn't have any. once he's 4 months old, he should do pretty good with holding it...

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya I dont want to let him know its ok to pee or potty in the house but I eventually would like to just put up a baby gate which I already have at top os stairs and let him roam around the top floor so he's not confined to a bathroom.. I mean he has plenty of room in bathroom just a thought.. I am in process of caret training him but since this is my first time doing so i feel like im not doing it right...

Right now I take him out every 15 minutes just to get him in habit of going out back and why we are doing so.. Once he's done eating I take him out and first thing when he wakes up...

He's only in his crate at night when were sleeping or when were watching a movie or having him take a nap..etc

So any recommendations on what I can do to crate train him better? My main prob is Im away from home from 6am till 6pm everyday so i definitely CANNOT leave him locked up that long but I guess I can section off his crate just small enough to lay down and turn and leave the pads down in bathroom for him to go on??

Yes I know its alot fo work and hes young but I want to start right

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Is there nobody who can check on him and let him out every couple hours while you are gone? Crate training is definately easiest. I would have him in there rather then the whole bathroom.

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya no doubt its the best but unfortunately theirs no one available..at least within driving distance like 5 or 10 minutes and with gas as much as it is I cant afford to pay someone elses gas bill to have a consistent baby sitter

Im gonna try keeping him in our room tonight in his crate and see how he does but I doubt he can hold it even if I take him out before bed which is usually round 11pm and I wake up round 5am

1 - 7 of 7 Posts