Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a difference between the training methods used to teach dogs not to pull on their leashes and puppies who do the same?

Ana's 12 weeks old now, and she pulls on her leash so much that she can't breathe. I'm wondering if I should use the methods I read about (like changing directions often, stopping as soon as she starts pulling, etc.) or if she's too young to understand that. Is she too young for a gentle leader? I would really like to nip this problem as soon as possible.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I did not worry about it until Tora turned about 4 months old, which I realize is still young, but I am like you I did not want to deal it an adult pulling..I started warning her then after a while I moved into stoping dead in my tracks, she is only 5 months now and with the exception of other dogs, we are doing great!!

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I say start training as soon as possible, don't allow that behavior now and she won't do it later.

For example, if you don't want her on the couch (and I don't think large dogs should be) then never
allow her on the couch. If she is never allowed to, then you will never have to correct her for doing it
because she will not do it.

Don't let her pull you ever. The change direction and direct stop method work for a pup. if you want to
use the gentle leader (both the head halter and harness work for pulling) they come in sizes to fit
the smallest dogs so you will find one to fit for sure.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
The change direction method works in that your pup has to pay close attantion to you.
The quick stop method takes a while (a simple walk takes time), but it teaches your pup
that he will get nowhere by pulling. Never use a retractable leash, they reward your dog
with more leash when he pulls. I only use these in the park when I'm playing fetch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts