Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got onto this topic on another discussion about food. We are takin Deuce for puppy training at Petsmart. This is the info.

Well the girl that is our trainer is great. She has a boxer that "was" aggressive, and a pitbull, so I figure she has experience with the breed regardless of her training. We mainly do it to motivate oursellfs. They teach sit, down, drop it, leave it, take it, heel, stuff like that. We could do it on our own but I won't ever get to doing it. This way its like I am competing to have my dog be the best in the class. I am a competition freak. A little too competitive at times, but it is a good motivator, and besides Deuce likes to go and visit all the pups. She is a really good trainer though, and she is young like me, so she isn't always making me feel dumb for asking questions. Mainly they teach me how to teach him. I think its a great starter. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Be careful

I was a Petsmart instructor, now that's WAS. I now work for myself because I couldn't do things their way (my choice). Some of their instructors are good and some aren't. IMO the good ones aren't the ones that follow the Petsmart training lesson plans, as they are an absolute joke. There classes are designed for the people not the dogs and are basically only good for socialization. They will "certify" someone with zero dog experience and trust me, I've seen some real winners get certified. I was a trainer before working there, so I found it easy, but I felt like an ass charging someone $99 for that ridiculus class. Be very careful about playtime too, as most trainer's just let all the dogs loose for a free for all ad that can cause serious issues in your pup if it gets bullied or is a bully (pardon the pun lol) They do use positive reinforcement, which is great, but they take it way to far. Petsmart won't allow choke or pinch collars in class, and basically if your dog needs one, they don't want it there because it's looks bad for the store. So everything is all gentle leaders and cookies which is fine unless you have a dog with a problem. But they don't deal with behavior problems. I have a friend who still works there and she is great. She does things her way like I did and her classes are good. My classes sold out when they were done my way and the other girl following the book, never had sign ups and the ones that did transfered to my class. What does that say about the Petsmart training methods lol. Poor girl was just doing her job. She got fired BTW. As long as you watch some classes before you spend your money, you should have no problems. Just make sure you like the trainer and her methods.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, this girl is really good. She actually just talked about pinch collars last night. She said she isn't allowed to let us use them, but says in her opinion they are good for certain things. She also said she doesn't go straight by their rules b/c she doesn't like the way they do some stuff. She never has us let the dogs free to play. We always have them separated and on a leash. I am just trying to get some basic commands done there and then work from that on my own. But Deuce is doing really well with it so far.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I'm not a big fan of PetsMart training. I think they are good for socialization but I wouldn't rely on them to make your dog an obedience champion. I have never gone to a class there, so I don't know how they are run, but i haven't heard the best things. Try it out, but if you start seeing behavioural problems creep up on you then i would suggest that you look for a different trainer. Good luck, and it's good that you are enjoying it!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I am going to stick it out, b/c it is only 8 classes and I already paid for it. It isn't causing him to have any problems that he wasn't already having, and he is learning a lot. I like the trainer since she has bullies of her own and is familiar with the breed. Getting a new trainer after these classes, that poses a problem. I would get a good trainer, but I don't know how to pick a good one. I live in CC, Tx and don't know anyone with dogs that have had training. How do I choose?

·
Registered
99 Posts
deuce's mommy said:
Well, I am going to stick it out, b/c it is only 8 classes and I already paid for it. It isn't causing him to have any problems that he wasn't already having, and he is learning a lot. I like the trainer since she has bullies of her own and is familiar with the breed. Getting a new trainer after these classes, that poses a problem. I would get a good trainer, but I don't know how to pick a good one. I live in CC, Tx and don't know anyone with dogs that have had training. How do I choose?
We went to "one of the best," it wasn't a complete waste, but it was a bit like my Catholic grammar school years with the rabid, ruler-toting nuns :( It took a bit of time to regain our girls' trust. You wrote it yourself, they train *you* and that is essential. Good luck, have fun and remember, there isn't always a "One size fits all" approach regarding anything canine.

·
Registered
162 Posts
We're doin' it...

We are currently in the middle of PetSmart training with ChiChi. It's going well for us. We really don't have any major behavioral issues though (knock on wood). ChiChi is too lazy to get into trouble right now, I guess. I went in with the mindset that it was going to be what it was going to be - the basics. Sit, stay, etc. With that in mind, I am happy so far with ChiChi's progress. And, I am a firm believer that what you get out of the class is how much effort you, as the owner puts it since yes, it is teaching us more than that dog. We really do go home and practice our new skills every night during the week.

Our trainer is good, as well. I met her and talked to her a few times before I signed up. She really presented herself as someone who just loves the animals...it's not just a job. Has training and experience in animal behaviors from farm animals to SeaWorld. She also spends at least 2-4 hours on her only two days off at the dog park with her dog. We stopped in just to see for ourselves..yep, she was there. She makes herself available for "emergency" calls if we have trouble between classes and really seems to be doing what she can to make the expirience pleasant. On that note, we did do our research a little...I knew that regardless of where we go, the quality of training is going to be dependent on the instructor personally - no matter what place they work for. We could have had a rotten time and a trainer that doesn't own a dog, ya know. Do watch the classes before-hand. INTERVIEW THE TRAINER personally. What are their qualifications? Do they have their own pets? What's their availability after class, etc. before you make your final decision.

·
Registered
886 Posts
its good for big bax

Baxter is at the end of his puppy course now and i think its a great class. My dog is perfect on the leash, until he sees new people and wants to play. But other than that the course has really tought me how to train my dog myself, i have tought him about 5 new tricks and each one took about 5 minutes for him to lear, i just have to improve on how he does the tricks, and get him to do them if i dont have a treat.

·
Registered
60 Posts
We started our 8 week course last week at PetSmart. I like the instructor - she has been a breeder, trainer and show judge for years. She now breeds Shiba Inu and is affiliated with the UKC. She was completely accepting of Sarge as an Olde - none of the AKC snobbery.

My only concern with the class is that there is an 11 month old APBT bitch in the class that has already whelped. She tries to correct the puppies and can be pretty aggressive about it. The trainer has kept her under control so far though - I will be the first one complaining if I see her getting to be too much of a distraction though. I just about strangled her owners when I saw she had already been bred at that age - I realized that I don't know the details though (possibly a rescue *shrug*) so I won't judge.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I am going to get some one on one training with my vet who also works in ob. She has 3 aussie's and also is big into agility.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts