Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning! We made it through our 3rd night and ole Bubba just sang and sang at about 4:30 a.m. this morning. He has quite a set of pipes on him for a 7-8 week old. He reminds me of my children when they were babies. Yes, we are ignoring him. He needs to get used to his crate or we are doomed :)

Anyway, just a couple of questions for you this morning. Expect me to come here quite often for advice for we need it.

1. Why does Bubba go outside to "eliminate" and then 10-15 minutes later he is doing it again in the house? He is just a pup but is this quite normal? He is so young I'm not sure he is grasping what we are trying to teach him. Ugh! it gets a little frustrating but we are trying to remain stern with him.

2. I don't think he is staying outside (backyard) long enough. He will pee and then run right for the door. I try to head him off and tell him no but he just pulls up a seat and sits there looking at me. I think he is already showing his bull headed attitude :)

3. Awesome dog but boy is it a lot of work! I think my kids miss their TV(which is a great thing). If we continue on this same course with taking him out every chance we get what is the "usual" timeframe on picking this training up?

4. If I am mostly the disciplinarian will he hate me? I don't do anything out of the ordinary but I do want him to respect me/others without having animosity towards me.

5. Patience. Do they sell this at Target?

Thanks Again!

James

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
:D Congrats on your new arrival
1.Puppies especially American Bulldog puppies are alot of work but can be fun. Your puppy shouldnt hate you for decliplining him depending on how severe of ocurse. Your puppy should respect you and want to be with you.
1. When you put a puppy outside you shouldnt let them back in untul you know for certain they have releaved themseleves.Are you out there with him? Try going out with him show him how fun going outside and doing your business can be and that it isnt all bad.Pupies may soemtimes feel this is bad going away from you, but show them otherwise.Plus every 10mins you should be putting him out.This is normal.
2.He prolly isnt going out long enough and seating himself watching you is a sign he wants to be with you so why not make the best of it go out with him he releaveshimself and you start playing with him. Tire him out is always a plus as well with a puppy.
3.Rule of thumb for puppies is every 10mins to go outside. Dont have full control of their bladder until 2 years old!
4.Whatever you do DO NOT show MEANESS to this puppy its training. its not fair for him to be dispclened when the doesnt know what you want from him. Teach him and play with him always fun with him and motvational methods.No screaming, rubbing faces in pee etc. Try treats,tugs,balls,yourself as a reward
5.No they do not sell this at Target but it is easier to remain clam when you have ajob for them to do and tire themselves out. Thisyoung shouldnt be a big job but can be throwing a ball, etc.. American Bulldogs have a lot of energy and love to please. USE THIS

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
#1 or #2

For the most part it is #1. We have had a few accidents with #2 but not as frequent.
Don't get me wrong. Bubba isn't this crazy #1 and #2 monster that just explodes all over the place :D.
I'm sure it is just normal puppy behavior but as new parents we are mostly interested in making sure we are doing the right things to stay on a correct path. We obviously want to do what is best for him and us.

We have a Vet appointment next Friday and we tend on making it a Q & A with the Doc. We are also going to bring the kids (7 & 11) so they can ask any questions they may have.

Is there a reason you asked which accident I was referring to? Could #2 accidents be a sign of something?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
well to me, it sounds like you guys are on the right track! Being very responsible with your questions to us but already having some background in the area from doing research. A Q & A to your vet is an awesome thing and including the kids is even better. I applaud you for everything you are doing. I wish more dog owners were like you and your family!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.