Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found a puppy from a breeder, I am going to see him this weekend. Is there any problems that come with buying a puppy at 5 months. What kind of things can I expect from taking a 5 month old puppy?

Anyway, www.stafford.cl and it's the white group of puppies or chachorros en espanol...

·
Registered
634 Posts
i got my last pup at 5 months she was an outside dog so we had problems with potty tranning but if u keep on top of them everything will work out expect the pup to have bad habits

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
They have one male and two females? That's a pretty small kennel. i don't know much about them (as they are in chile), but I don't think the puppies in those pictures are 5 months old. i personally would be a little suspicious of a breeder who still had a puppy that old, maybe 3 months old going on 4 months old but why wouldn't they have homes for all their dogs already? Most good breeders have homes for their pups by the time they are 2 months old, the best (like the show breeder that I purchased my pomeranian from) had homes for the pups before they were born. I purchased my pom six months before she was born. of course, I don't know how all breeding programs work (as I'm more into rescues) so I may be wrong but this just sounds weird.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just found out it was sent to Argentina to a buyer ( I am living in Chile) and the buyer apparently hadn't taken it to see the vet like the breeder had insisted on so the owner cancelled the contract and the puppy was sent back. I am going to see it this weekend and I will look for:

1. How it reacts to people
2. How it reacts when I reach to it.
3. It it is trained to go outside for it's business...

anything else?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
That's a possibility.. sorry I sometimes jump to conclusions. It just sounds like she can't get rid of her dogs and i don't trust any breeder who can't find homes for their dogs by a certain time.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I wouldn't worry about your puppys age, breeders sometimes have older pups for a number of reasons. If they do have a pup who didn't have a home lined up then it is their responsibility to keep until they do find a suitable home, no matter the age. Along with that goes treating the pup like it will be staying there, house training, obediance training, socializing, all that stuff. Sometimes breeders also have older pups because they had to reposses a pup, which is like what you are saying she had to do. I have a female who's littermate sister was taken back at 9 months of age and had to be placed. Othertimes they are holding the pup back to see how it turns out, which I think it responsible. I kept 4 pups from one litter, 2 males (1 co-owned) and 2 females. Both females were turning out nicely, but one female was better then the other and a near peftect representation of what I wanted to continue to produce and preserve in the line while the other just didn't have that superior quality so at 6 months old I decided she was not what I wanted for my program and sold her to a pet home. Out of the males one was really nice all the way around, the other while his temperament was good, his personality traits were that of the line and he had good work ethic he didn't have the structure I seeked and has sense been nuetered and still residing with the co-owner as a pet, however if I had been sole owner then I would have had a pet dog to place at a year of age.

·
Registered
172 Posts
PitBullRoyalty said:
They have one male and two females? That's a pretty small kennel.
This is off topic but what do you think is a good number of dogs for a kennel to have and why. I've seen this discussed other times and people have some different views on it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks that's reasuring. I am going to me him and the dog this weekend and then I will decide where to go from there. I have two trips with work in the next two weeks so I won't be able to take him till the 7th of Nov. I might not get this pup as a result but, I want to make sure I have the time to give to this puppy and I am all done work for 2 months after this last trip.

Thanks again for your help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts