Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can there be gliches in the system?

Can youg et a screwball out of the litter? I'm not saying I'm going to breed, I'm seriously concitering going to the pound and looking for a pit. (Ya'll covinced a sour puss like me to adopt!) But I'm wondering.

Or was it the owner that trained it to be so screwy? I'm curious.

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
I dont think, for the most part, any dog can be born "screwy".
I believe those dogs were NOT trained properley and were
left to do what they please and basically ignored.
If high energy dogs (most dogs) are left to do what they please and are not taught manners and not given rules and exercised....
yes you will get one screwy messed up dog!!!

I think if Orson wasnt exercised and played with DAILY and if
he didnt have any "rules", he would be a WILD DOG!
Insane! He'd chew the house down, boss me around and be a total
brat and uncontrollable!

Most dogs in pounds are 'given up" by the owners cause they cant control their dog or the dog chews or the dog is too hyper...all these owners needed to do was to take them on plenty of walks and be the "alpha" in the pack...nothing actually wrong with the dogs tho!!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I do believe that there are some dogs that are just born with mental problems that make them a bit "off" & a huge liablity. We would be killing ourselves if we believed in the statement "there are no bad dogs" for it's just not true. However, some problems can be created by man, however, I personally own a deaf "pit bull" that was found on a 20lb chain when she only weighed 14 lbs & she was sick (hooks, rounds, coccidia, & Parvo) yet she has turned out to be the epitome of the "pit bull" in temperament. I won't accept any less. A good tempered, stable dog can make it through many situations without turning into a nutcase or an all-out aggressive animal.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I think that it is a bit of both nature and nurture. Success with each dog depends on the situation plus the dog’s temperament. I don’t give a darn how stable a dog is everything has a snapping point. If a dog is isolated from human attention, chained up, then treated cruelly when they are exposed to humans, yes eventually it will be a vicious dog. I want to mention that this type of vicious dog is created not born mean and sometimes these can be corrected with the right training. The nurture part is when a dog is born with weak nerves because of poor breeding or health problems. This dog is out of anyone’s control, you cannot fix poor genetics, however, some of the health problems can be fixed thus correcting the behavior. If we are talking poor temperament, you can’t predict who, what, when, where, or why this dog will snap therefore this dog is unsalvageable. I believe if you cannot plan for a behavior you cannot control it. If a dog is dominate, thus aggressive to protect it’s territory, I believe that can be worked with, the owner has to either be ready to seek out a professional or this dog needs a firm well taught hand. Unless the dog has already attacked some one a dog deserves a chance to see a professional either Vet. or trainer, maybe both. It all depends on the dog and the situation in my opinion and unfortunate they all can’t be saved. If you find a dog in a shelter then that dog has been exposed to some human attention so there is a small base of the dog’s credentials. It has at least been good enough to be handled to some degree. The only reason that I say that is because I don’t know what the rescues/shelters in your area do in the way of temperament testing but I will say every dog that we picked up at the pound has been a wonderful pet. :D

·
Registered
172 Posts
A dog can certainly be born "screwy", to not believe so would be to kid yourself. If a dog can be bred for a good temperament then why not a poor temperament? Some people make the statement "its all how you raise the dog" which seems very niave. By selective breeding is how we get varying temperaments within breeds. Some breeds are friendly to almost anyone, others are aloof, still others wouldn't at all allow a stranger to trespass. Some breeds bond with only one family member and others accept everyone. Some breeds are dominant and challenging who require firmer, consistant training, while others are submissive and are very easily trained, then their are breeds who are very stubborn and independent. If you don't cull the bad and select the good you get dogs that have genetic temperament defects.

How you raise a dog of course will also dicate its actions. If you imporperly raise or train it, then you can create problems too. But breeding definatly plays a role. You can take a dog with a great temperament and ruin it, but the same holds true for dogs born with a problem, you can take that dog and raise it correctly and still end up with a problem dog.

If you breed shy, skiddish, fearful dogs you'll likely a fearful skiddish pups. I've seen this first hand. For one I had a dog who's mother was like this and although I raised my pup right, socialized and trained her she was still fearful. Another example is a friend who's fear aggressive dog had a litter. First off her dogs parents were not right I came to find out. Her dog as a pup was the shy and not out going at all. She turned out to be a biter and a scared aggressive dog=fear aggression. She had a litter and the litter was already showing the same signs she did as a pup, they exhibited the same fear and shyness.
A lot of this bad breeding is by "accident", its not really an accident when you chose to breed a dog with a temperament problem, but most people don't think they are doing all that bad and think the pups will be okay. They don't see it as a big deal. Whats worse however is some people breed for an aggressive temperament whatever the underlying cause maybe, fear aggression, dominance aggression or dogs that just have a problem-physical brain development/chemical imbalance thats genetic. They want the baddest most dangerous dog and breed for this trait.

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
I know there are mentally unsound dogs out there, for sure!
I based my answer on the word "screwy", i was thinking more along
the lines of hyer-active or "uncontrollable" dogs. Not ones that
have imbalances or dangerous ones.

She asked about "screwy" dogs in pounds, and i believe she wants to
know if those given up were done so b/c the owner made them that way or if it was born that way. I dont think any shelter would put a dog up
for adoption if it has any dangerous tendencies or mental
imbalance so I would think all dogs in shelters werent
"born screwy" they just need to be trained.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
I believe that an extremely stable, confident dog is very hard to ruin.

A mediocre dog can be ruined easier if put in a less than ideal situation, but with some help should recover.

A weak dog, no matter how much help it is given, usually won't rebound from a bad experience.

It really all depends on the dog. Some can handle much more than others. You could have a super strong dog who lives a crappy life, with shitty owners who neglect and/or abuse, yet that dog still remains stable and happy. You could have another dog who has the best home and owners but yet its a total nut case.

Enviornment does play a role, but its the genetics of the animal that determines how it handles stress in its life and how it recovers (if at all) from a bad experience.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
How a dog ends up has to do with part nature and part nurture, if you neglect/aggression train (I don't mean bite work) a dog with good temperment then chances are they will turn out "screwy". But on the other hand, I don't think any amount of training will totally correct a dog born with a bad temperment. If their parents were fear biters, most likely they will be too.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I agree with PBR! I know one dog that is a total wacko! But then again so is her owner. :lol: She charged me barking and growling when I was walking on the sidewalk(opposite of her house). The only thing I could do was stand still and close my eyes this dog is about 90-95lbs. I only weigh 105lbs so I knew this dog would tear me to pieces. I've known this dog since she was 9 weeks old!!! She did stop though thank god after I stopped moving. and her owner came from out of nowhere yelling at me!....weird...

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I love people like that! I once got the, "Don't give my dog weird eyes". Supposedly I rolled my eyes or something at an akita across the street from where I was walking. Reminds me of these two dog aggressive pits down the street from me with their, "You should know better than to walk your dog on our corner". how about being a responsible dog owner and not letting your dog aggressive red nosed pit bulls run loose. almost all of the pit owners in my town are responsible, thank goodness.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Lisa said:
You could have a super strong dog who lives a crappy life, with shitty owners who neglect and/or abuse, yet that dog still remains stable and happy.
You just described Remy!! Remy is a perfect example of a stable dog: happy, sweet, trusting, etc. despite his life's circumstances (his life prior to coming into our home, that is.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts