Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about breeding my English Bulldog male with a friends Olde English Bulldog female.

I'm wondering if this has been tried before by members of this forum, and wondering is it safe to mix the poor breathing/hip problems with the olde english which has no breathing/hip problems???

As you can tell, I'm completely new to this, and want to get some facts to think about before the "deed is done"

Also, please don't label me a "BYB", these are going to be breed because both parties want another companion.

·
Registered
655 Posts
:coffee: :bs:

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
These two breeds have been crossed a billion times! If the EB has health issues, I would not breed him, period. You will throw these health issues into the puppies. We don't really need anymore poorly bred EB's or OEB's.

Have the two dogs health tested. Hips, elbows, knees, eyes, everything. Then...if they pass all of this, maybe you can consider breeding. Please don't do it just because you want a pup. You can buy yourself one for cheaper than what it is going to cost to breed these two.

Oh, and Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Have you had your dog health tested? Has your friends dog been health tested? Have you researched both of their pedigrees?

If you want a healthy dog, you can just purchase another EB, or an OEB from a reputable breeder, and save yourself the expense of having a litter. Not all EBs have breathing problems, or hip problems, and if your dog does than maybe you should reconsider breeding him/her.

Although an OEB has less chance of having health problems, it still does have EB in him/her, so the risks are still there. And then breeding an OEB with an EB still means that there is a lot of EB in the dog, and would have the same kinds of possible health problems you are referring to.

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
We don't really need anymore poorly bred EB's or OEB's.
Cause I have one, and his breeder is gonna keep on breeding!!! :roll:
So if you want one, contact them!!

Orson is half OEB and half EB (his EB side does have a small dose of
Am. pit bull, but mainly EB).
No health tests were preformed before breeding his parents,
now Orson has TWO bad knees (one already had surgery on) and a skin condition that requires anti-biotics every few months!
Who knows what health probs might occur after he matures :?

It is best just to find a reputable breeder or go to the pound (lots of EB mixes can be found there) if you want another companion!!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Why breed mutt puppies intentionally? Hell, we have an EB/APBT someone dumped on us that we can't find a home for. Sure it soundss cool, but $5,000 later in surgeries & whatnot it's not so much fun.

I'll never condone breeding for mutts. Look at www.petfinder.com. There are tons of EBs up for adoption (especially in FL) & Go knows how many AB's & OEBs (often labeled AB's).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts