Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the forum and have a few questions. We have one 7 month old male pit bull/cocker mix and two 4 month old pure bred pits (one male, one female - litter mates). Right now this is how it goes. All three of them go outside on a lead for an hour every morning around 6:00 am (before it gets hot). then they all play in the house until about 8:30 am when I go to work. When I go to work the pit bull/cocker mix has free run of the house and the 2 pits share one LARGE kennel (we have 2 but they yelp and cry if they have to be in separate ones.) When I get home at about 2:30pm they all go outside again for 30minutes - 1 hour depending on how hot it is. Then they play in the house until bedtime when they all go outside again and then the pits go back in the kennel and the mix sleeps in bed with us. My questions are....

1. Are the pits spending too much time in the kennel?

2. We curently do not have a fenced in back yard (we rent) and are planning on getting a chain link run for them. - one for the males and one for the female. Is it ok to put the 2 males in the same run? I mean when they get older will they start fighting?

3. i hear about pits who are friends as youngsters and turn on each other when they are adults. How do I help prevent this? I like them all being inside dogs and having them all play together.

4. - last one! Someone told me that my female will make my males turn on each other? I planned on separating the males from my female when she goes into heat, but will that make them not turn on each other?

Thanks for your time and answering my questions!

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Bad idea....bad, bad idea. Read this thread...http://bulldogbreeds.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?t=6184

Sounds as if you do not plan on altering your pets? If you plan on your female coming into heat, you do not plan on spaying? Your males will kill each other trying toget at her. My opinion is that you should have put alot more thought and research into these pups before acquiring three of them. I wish you the best of luck, you're gonna need it!

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
1.) It sounds like a reasonable amount of time in a kennel for adult dogs. Maybe a little much for the 4-month-olds, though.

2.) Keeping pit bulls (dogs bred for fighting!!) together unsupervised is just asking for trouble. They may get along now because they're puppies, but that might not always be the case, especially if the female is in heat. Why are you not getting her spayed?

3.) Never leave them alone unsupervised. Keep toys, rawhides, bones, etc. put away so they don't trigger a fight. Feed them all separately. SPAY AND NEUTER THEM!!!

4.) SPAY AND NEUTER!!! Like Kasco said, your males will most likely kill each other trying to get to the female when she is in heat, even if she's separated from them.

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
Kasco said:
Bad idea....bad, bad idea. Read this thread...http://bulldogbreeds.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?t=6184

Sounds as if you do not plan on altering your pets? If you plan on your female coming into heat, you do not plan on spaying? Your males will kill each other trying toget at her. My opinion is that you should have put alot more thought and research into these pups before acquiring three of them. I wish you the best of luck, you're gonna need it!
Ditto here. Get them all fixed, and start crating them separately immediately, or one day when they're older you'll come home to one dead dog. And, I wouldn't keep the males in the same outdoor kennel either. You need to make some changes BEFORE you start to have problems.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Seperate them now. Mine have been seperated since 4 weeks old. I have their crates close to each other not up against but close. They will get over the seperation anxiety trust me.

Spay the female, yes you will have problems if you dont!

I leave mine in crates all day and let them out at noon and again at 330pm. They are fine.

Littermates are harder to raise then non littermates.

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
:shock: :shock: "the 2 pits share one LARGE kennel (we have 2 but they yelp and cry if they have to be in separate ones.) " :shock: :shock:

Talk about asking for trouble. You must seperate these dogs immediately

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks!

ok guys, thanks so much! they have a vet visit in a week and will talk to the vet about getting them all fixed then. we do have 2 kennels right now so we will start kenneling them separate too. When we got them the lady said that the 2 littermates would not fight and if we separated the males from the females when they were older that they would not fight either. She had 5 pits - 4 outside and one inside though the outside ones were chained up so they couldnt reach each other. Again thanks for all your advice! looks like we have some things to change with our babies.

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
Re: thanks!

mvangorp1 said:
ok guys, thanks so much! they have a vet visit in a week and will talk to the vet about getting them all fixed then. we do have 2 kennels right now so we will start kenneling them separate too. When we got them the lady said that the 2 littermates would not fight and if we separated the males from the females when they were older that they would not fight either. She had 5 pits - 4 outside and one inside though the outside ones were chained up so they couldnt reach each other. Again thanks for all your advice! looks like we have some things to change with our babies.
Thanks for listening to our advice and being open minded. Good luck with them.

~S

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I think it's really great you took the advice given so well. I love this forum and firmly believe the people here may disagree on some things, but collectively they know their $hit. They will always be here for you, to offer advice, encouragement, and support. Everyone has opinions, but these people are Bully owners who love and respect their dogs. I have learned more from this site than any other single resource. Good luck to you, and your "pack"

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I agree that a male and female are LESS likely to fight but you can not rule that out :shock: !!!!!!! I think your breeder has been lucky so far with her dogs are the all Pits? Not that that matters all that much just curious. I think that even though your dogs have been littermates does not mean they won't fight, it can happen...And it is likely enough that if I were you I woudl take preventative measures..I hope that you have a peaceful house hold :D I found a couple of articles for you for the 1st one keep in mind that this is talking about a less dominant breed
Littermates
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=995&S=1
Same sex agression
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&C=&A=1009&SourceID=

Good luck and post some more pictures of your babies I would love to see more of them :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep, she had 5 pits. One of which was the biggest I had ever saw in my life! She had the grandpa, great grandma, mother, father, and aunt of the puppies I now have. We are working on training now. Last night they both learned how to sit, ate in different rooms, and slept in different kennels. This morning they each went outside by themselfs, but not for as long as usual because they had to take turns. Is there anything else we should be doing right now? I have another question.

2. When they play together they all play with the same toy, they have tons of toys but only want to play with the one that someone else is playing with. Should I take all the toys away when this happens or should they not be playing together at all? I'd hate to have to not let them play together, woundt they get lonely? Or do they not care?

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Yep, she had 5 pits.
SHe is brave :shock: ......I posted about that same question recently and the answr that I got ws do not give them a toy if they are together....You are asking for trouble and if one shows event eh smallest aggression to discpline them ....As for wether or not they care I could put a good debate either way but it doesn't matter what matters is that you are cautious and you seperate them when you give them food, toys, water.....bc they can and would kill each other if they ever did fight

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
mvangorp1 said:
This morning they each went outside by themselfs, but not for as long as usual because they had to take turns. Is there anything else we should be doing right now? I have another question.
I don't think they need to be seperated at all times. I think it would be totally fine for them to play outside together like they usually do. Just make sure it is under your supervision so that nothing escalates. Also don't give them toys when they are playing together. They need to interact a little if you're all gonna live under one roof. It will be very important for you to get into some training so that the dogs view you as the alpha in the house. If you don't take on that role early, chances are the dogs will try to establish that leadership role among themselves. That would put you in a very bad position. Definitly get them fixed though. Even if you plan on seperating them, accidents happen.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts