Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was at the vet's on Sunday to get Chloe's last set of shots! :D I was telling the lady up front how excited I was to finally be taking her out to parks and ect. (after the two week wait). She told me that she wouldn't suggest it because she had a 6 month old puppy come in this past week with parvo from a dog park. I asked her if the dogs shots were up to date and she said yes. I guess my questions are, is it possible for a puppy to get parvo after all shots have been completed and you have waited two weeks after the final round? Should I not take her out for awhile longer? I would have asked my vet, but we were paying and she was busy with another dog. I also wanted to sign her up for some puppy agility classes, but I don't want to risk her getting sick. I know my vet told us that Pit Bulls have a higher incident of getting parvo, but she didn't say AFTER the shots. I'm so bummed. :(

·
Registered
26 Posts
If this helps, as a rescue we require dogs to at least have 1 shot before spay/neuter (for dieases purposes) after 2 shots the dog is in most cases protected from any dieases. I have had puppies come down with parvo after there 1st shot they proababley had it before. I'm always ok with public places after the second round of shots depending on the dogs age, ex if a puppy had 6 week shots and 8 week shots not quite ready but after 12 weeks ok. I agree on the wait period but it depends on how many shots your dog has had. I also agree no vaccines are 100% but that goes for people 2, and the chances are slim if your dog has been vaccinated properly.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Also keep this in mind. Make sure you are using a good vet. If the vaccines are not stored correctly then they will become useless. I am considering doing my own vaccinations from now on except for rabies.

The biggest issue with puppies and parvo is when they stopped being protected via their mother's milk. The antibodies that the mother provides in the milk can take a couple of weeks to wear off. That is why you have to give multiple shots. You just don't know when that occurs. If you give a vaccine when the antibodies are still active then the puppy will not be immune. So the dangerous time for a puppy is the time between shots and the antibodies wearing off. Usually everything is good to go at 12 weeks. By that time they should have been off the mother's milk long enough and had a shot to provide the protection.

Some dogs are definately more susceptible such as rottweilers. I have never heard pitbulls mentioned as being more at risk. Could be the case though.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
This is speaking from personal experience. My Koda is now a little over 8 weeks old, and he had parvo when we got him (obviously we didn't know this). Per the breeder he came from he had already had his shots, but I come to find out he hadn't had his 7 in 1 shot (which includes the parvo vaccine). Either way, our vet, which is very reputable in our area, said we should not allow him to go anywhere public for at least the first 4-6 months, because they are so susceptible at such a young age. Hope this helps!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts