Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Luchi is about 6 months old. We've had him since Saturday, April 29th. His stool varies from really runny to really soft. At first, we thought maybe it was the switch from the shelter food to puppy chow. i'm not sure what the shelter was feeding him. they get in a variety of food donations.
but anyway, we got him a small bag of Puppy Chow. and he still gets the runs. i've read here that other people have had problems with puppy chow. is there any other brand of puppy food that is better? or do you all think that possibly i can give him adult dog food?
he went to the vet yesterday to get fixed and get checked out. his fecal came out fine. but we did notice that he lost a tiny bit of weight. he was 30.2 lbs on Saturday. yesterday he weighed in at 28.0 lbs. i'm wondering if it's because of the food he's eating. it's just going straight through him.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
It would not be a problem switching him to adult food at this age. Some people never feed their dogs puppy food.

If I remember correctly, Puppy Chow is a grocery store brand? None of these "name brand" dog foods are good for your dogs. They are filled with fillers that give absolutely no nutritional value.

I would check out the dog food sticky in this section and find some of the top quality foods that are in your area. Some of them are even sold at petco/petsmart. Putting him on a higher grade food will definitly help with the runs and should help start adding weight

·
Registered
208 Posts
Any quality food would be fine for a puppy or adult. I feed Dick Van Patten's Natural Performance to my 9 month old dog and my puppy.

Another thing to consider is how much you are feeding. I was overfeeding my puppy and it caused diarehea. I simply went from 2 cups a day to 1.5 cups a day and it solved the problem.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
we've been giving him 2 cups a day. he always seems hungry. we're careful to not let him eat the other dogs food. we have 3 adult dogs too. after luchi finishes his food, sometimes he'll run over to the other dog bowls and try to eat that food too.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
jleonar said:
Another thing to consider is how much you are feeding. I was overfeeding my puppy and it caused diarehea. I simply went from 2 cups a day to 1.5 cups a day and it solved the problem.
man, this just seems like soooooo little for a 6 month old puppy (if he were to feed this to his dog). I measured out a cup of Kate's food and that was aboslutely nothing. I guess it depends on the shape of the food... but still. at 6 months there is still a ton of energy and a ton of growing left to do

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
we give our adult dogs 1 cup per meal. and they get fed twice a day.

i figured 2-3 cups per day would be ok. right now he looks real skinny. you can see his ribs. but even the shelter staff said he didnt eat well at the shelter. most dogs at the shelter dont eat well. too much stress usually. i'm wondering actually if we're feeding him enough. but i dont want to give him too much. especially if he's going to have the runs.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I would go definitly with the 3 cups a day if not maybe even 4... then when he hits a year, go down a little.

I think for your adult dogs thats a good amount. But now for your puppy he needs more esepcailly if he hasnt had a healthy nutritional diet for a while.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.