Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be a silly question, but I am at my whits end!!! We have been working on basic training, and so far we are doing well, or so I thought. Zack has learned to run out of the door as soon as one of my kids open it and will not come when he is called!!! How do I make him come!! He does good inside and in the back yard when we are working, but when he gets out the front door he runs WILD! I have always heard that when he does come, you should not scold him, because then he will think when you tell him to come he is going to be in trouble. Any suggestions. I have put locks at the top of all of my doors so my kids can't open them. But the door has to be opened from time. I just want to stop this before it gets too out of hand. Thanks for any advice!!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Until he has a reliable recall, never use the "come" command unless you can enforce it (i.e. he's on a leash and you can reel him in if he doesn't obey.) Get a long lead and practice with him in your yard so that you're not setting him up for failure. Entice him with treats or his favorite toys and praise like crazy when he comes to you on command. Make coming to you the most exciting thing in the world for him. Only when he is reliable on lead should you start working on "come" off lead. If he bolts out the door, and you use the "come" command and he doesn't obey, he's learning that he doesn't have to obey you in every circumstance. If I were you, I'd just work on doing everything in my power to make sure he doesn't get out. That should be your priority.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Bella Blue is right you proly even shouldnt be using "Come" righ tnow b/c its not reliable. I would just be gettinghim to come to you say his name,make a niose when he comes then treat him,etc.. Then when hes older and 100% reliable coming to you then put the word to the acitivty. Right now i would be crating him when the door needs to be opened.If soemthing ever hapened and he go tout.......accidents can happen. Crate him when the kids are going to be goin in an dout give him a chew toy and that will be his break time. Then when the kids are in.doing whatever then out him on leash and take him out ofr his time and do some work. "come" is a impt command you dont want it to go unobeyed.Cowboy is 8 months old (almost 9 i think) and doesnt know "come" he knows when i say his name he comes to me and gets a treat but no command yet. That can wait.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Bella Blue & Tia!! It took me about 30 mins to get his butt back in the house today!!! He has been doing so good with his training and I don't want to confuse him. But did not know if there was any way to teach him he can't just run out of the house. When he got out today, it was like I did not exist!! When I called his name, he would not even look my way. It was like he knew he was not suspose to be out, but did not care. I have a 5 year old almost 3 year old twins and they are also always looking for a way out, if it's not them it is the dog (haha)!! This is why we have locks on the tops of all of our doors now. I just don't want him to get out again, like Tia said "accidents can happen".

Tia, at what age do you start working with the come command? Zack is about 4 1/2 months and does good sometimes with a 20 ft. lead (but he also knows I have treats!!)

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Whenever we let Bella out to do her business or take her for a walk, we make her sit before letting her through the door. Now, (and I may be overcomplicating her thought process here...) she doesn't even think about bolting out of the door because she knows that sitting will get her what she wants: going outside.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Bella, he knows the sit command. He will even listen to my kids when they tell him to sit. I will start working with him. I make him sit before we let anyone pet him (other than me hubby and kids, we can't keep our hands off of him) and before we give him his food. Guess now he will have to sit before he goes outside. Sometimes if I am busy I get one of the kids to let him out, they love to "help" with "their" puppy, but I will have to do it myself for a while. Thanks Again!!

PS - love your new banner!!! Bella is one beautiful girl!!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
That's great that your kids want to help out! Making Zack sit before you let him outside (and having your kids do the same) also reinforces that you humans are in complete control of all the good things in his life.

Thanks for the banner compliment!

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Im not using come with my little guy yet just teaching him to come into me without commands my others learned it at 1 1/2 the actual command "come"

·
Registered
790 Posts
you may want to use the word come, since you already used it. Don't confuse the dog.

Later use the word, "heel". Heel means come to me and be in position. No options. Be ready to have a weiner ready (or toy) and huge hugs. If he does not come to a heel position, he has to know the hand of GOD will come upon this as#. Black and white. I usually have two commands for the come and usually, they are good since I imprint this from a very young pup.

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
PeterC said:
you may want to use the word come, since you already used it. Don't confuse the dog.

Later use the word, "heel". Heel means come to me and be in position. No options. Be ready to have a weiner ready (or toy) and huge hugs. If he does not come to a heel position, he has to know the hand of GOD will come upon this as#. Black and white. I usually have two commands for the come and usually, they are good since I imprint this from a very young pup.
Lol, this is sort of off topic. But you mention that you use wieners a lot for training. Is it okay to give them tofu hot dogs? I bought some but i'm not sure if I should use them. (i would cut them into tiny pieces)

oh and there was recipe for making your own liver treats and part of it you need garlic. I emailed asking them if garlic was bad for them cause I heard it was but they never replied. Do you know if garlic is bad for them?

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
OK now I dont understand why you shouldn't use the word "come".I have started using it for Buster so he knows what it means.I say "come" and when he comes he gets a treat and a lot of praise.He is only ten weeks and I just don't see why it shouldn't be used.Dont they have to learn at some point and wouldn't it be smart to use these words while they are young?He finally knows his name so when I call out Buster he comes.We just started walking on the leash and I use "Come".Am I missing something???? (BTW,Dont take what I wrote the wrong way I just dont get why it is wrong to use this word at a young age)

·
Registered
790 Posts
kelly, I use two commands. come and heel. come means -----come I have a treat for you. I use it at home.

Heel means, there is NO option. you reinforce this with treat and compultion (after one years old).

So, when you do need the dog to come in a ROCKET like fashion, you use heel command.

No one way is correct.

I just like to break it down for the dog. heel means GOD said to come. NOW! no options. There is some stress here and there is urgency.

Come for me, means, I have a treat for you. Come. Sometimes there is no difference in the speed of execution, depending on the food drive of the dog. However, the dog must know the difference.

don't get me wrong, LOL. My dogs still flip me the middle finger once in a while. :wink: C'est la vie avec Bulldogs.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
That makes sense then.So I can continue to use the word come for now and when he gets older use the word heel to make his little behind run like it was on fire.........LOL

BYW Peter,Correct me if I am wrong but do you train in bite work? If so I have some questions for you but will wait to see what your answer is.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think a problem with the use of the "come" command might be the misuse of the command. As PeterC stated "come" and "heal" are absolute. I think people will say "come" when they really should be saying "let's go" or "follow me" or "this way."

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I am the same as Peter but different words. My come is Come here come with me, etc.. My "here" command is come righ tnow supper fast straight to me no if ands or buts. I kind of have a formal word and a informal word

·
Registered
790 Posts
Kelly.

bitework is not for the novice.

If you even remotely think of getting into bitework, think OB. Bitework is OB. Go to a sport dog club like schutzhund or ring. But remember, don't show up to a gun fight with a knife. Your dog has to show promise.

In terms of apptitude, I have many tests that I do. gunshots at 8-12 weeks, drumms, reaction to unfamiliar areas and traffic, shopping carts. Most of all.........PREY DRIVE! Many say defence defence, but really, you need both. A balanced dog is what you need. However, that balance should be towards prey. Your dog has to go INSANE INSANE INSANE for the rag or ball. Because bitwork is basically OB, you will use the bite as a reward, later. I also like to see a dog that brings back the ball when thrown. Trust me. A good retrieval is like gold.

Some dogs do not have much prey and more defence. However, even this sort of dog has to be BROUGHT BACK INTO PREY with channelling. Now, we are getting into an area where you probably do not need to go.

Bottom line. YOU need DRIVE! A good prospect usually drives you nuts!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

You start training at 8 weeks for bitework! Imprinting for bitework! This is why most "old time" breeders with no bitework experience cannot produce GREAT dogs that excel in bitework. Impriting is crutial and it begins at 8 weeks. Setting the bite. Teaching regrips. Teaching it that it can never loose. bite placement. and most importantly that bites are a reward. YOu have to earn it! Basically, you are conditioning the dog to go insane for the bite. However, it knows that it has to EARN IT EVERYTIME. Now, you get a dog that is in control! It knows it cannot JUST bite. It has to come FROM THE OWNER. ALWAYS. from the owner's eyes, actually.

LOL
sorry for the long message.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Whenever we let Bella out to do her business or take her for a walk, we make her sit before letting her through the door. Now, (and I may be overcomplicating her thought process here...) she doesn't even think about bolting out of the door because she knows that sitting will get her what she wants: going outside.
I do this with Harley as well. She knows when she has to go out she has to sit and get her leash on. At this time we are definately not able to do a "come command" . We are working on it.

She does know "lets go" means she needs to come with me when she is on her leash. And when we get at the sidewalk to the front door "in the house" means it's time to go in and not up the street.

I have also taught her when we go out the "find a spot" command. I don't know if anyone else uses this but I read somewhere on the net that teaching them this makes pottying outside much quicker. I don't have a problem with being outside but when its 30 degrees and the wind is blowing I certainly don't want to be outside. I keep telling myself just a couple of more weeks and spring will be here!

Kelly

1 - 20 of 20 Posts