Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,604 Posts
:? Thanks for asking. Just to clarify, he did have his 2nd B-day already, so he's not exactly a pup. Lucky for me, he is very mild mannered & generaly well behaved, so that helps out. I didn't ask much out of him for the first 2 days, I wanted him to settle in a bit. Yesterday we began some very basic sit, down etc. I have always used hand signals with Harley which I thought would help. I brought them both in a small room w/ no distractions & began by asking Harley to sit (while bully watched) & praise treat for correct response. Then I had Harley stay while it was Bully's turn. I gave the hand signal, said the word, & placed him in position. (He didn't like it one little bit) repeated, yes (with signal) sit (with signal) & offered the treat. NO INTEREST!! OK, maybe he didn't like the treat? We went through this sevral times with just sit & down. Harley would go first & stay in position while he took a turn. It's quite clear he doesn't "get it" yet, but hey, it was the first day. :lol:

I read in my deaf dog book that people sometimes use clicker training, but substitute a flash light for the click. On that note, I think I'm going to order the Don't shoot the Dog book, which I've heard good things about.

I am put back a step that he doesn't seem food motivated yet (or toy for that matter), but he is still adjusting. I think I'll keep working with verbal (wrong choice of word :lol: ) praise for now & order a clicker training book.

Also, he is very attached to me already, and very little correction is needed for undesireable behavior.

So that's the story for today, thanks for asking & checking up on us :D
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you seen any reactions to shadows? I have a friend that works with deaf dogs and says it's quite common for them to jump up on shadows. Says she has even seen them jump up onto walls when they spot a shadow.
not sure why a shadow would trigger such an act.

Maybe the mild manner is because he is out of the puppy stage. I bet it's a good thing he has settled down now that he's 2.

Does he bark or whine or completely mute?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,560 Posts
is he completely deaf or just hard of hearing?

You have so much patience!

When Kate was in OB class, she could care less about treats! Even the meaty ones. Toys she did pay attention to. but what really worked 100% of the time were hot dogs cut into little pieces!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,604 Posts
Family of 5 said:
Have you seen any reactions to shadows? I have a friend that works with deaf dogs and says it's quite common for them to jump up on shadows. Says she has even seen them jump up onto walls when they spot a shadow.
not sure why a shadow would trigger such an act.

Maybe the mild manner is because he is out of the puppy stage. I bet it's a good thing he has settled down now that he's 2.

Does he bark or whine or completely mute?
:lol: So far, no interest in shadows. He is not mute. He barks & whines like any other dog. We just got back from a 4 mile walk...my arms are killing me :lol: Harley thank goodness is past trying t pull me down the street...but the side I walked Bully on... :oops: is gonna be sore. I refuse to allow either dog in front of me. If we're gonna walk, we're walkin' Cesar Millan style. Period. I am not about to have two big ole bullies pulling me down the street. Unh uh. I AM MASTER!! Boy, do people stare :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,666 Posts
good to hear that everythings going good. if you want his attention stopm on the ground, it will be like come. thats what my grandmas delf dog used. as for training treats try chicken chips(chicken jerky) I haven't met a dog that didn't love them, plus they aren messy!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,604 Posts
Kate said:
is he completely deaf or just hard of hearing?

You have so much patience!

When Kate was in OB class, she could care less about treats! Even the meaty ones. Toys she did pay attention to. but what really worked 100% of the time were hot dogs cut into little pieces!
As for what if anything he can hear...I'm going to have to observe for longer to have a firm opinion. Shawn feels he can hear some, but I'm going to keep an open mind for now. He responds to things like the screen door being opened even if he can't see it, but that's not proof of anything. Being that I'm hearing impaired, having lost 1/2 my hearing at age 16, I know more than the average Joe about hearing loss. The difference between feeling vibrations & actually hearing can be tricky.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,604 Posts
Cookies Mom said:
good to hear that everythings going good. if you want his attention stopm on the ground, it will be like come. thats what my grandmas delf dog used. as for training treats try chicken chips(chicken jerky) I haven't met a dog that didn't love them, plus they aren messy!
Stomping on the ground does work in the house, but it's useless outside. I'm not sure yet if that's b/c he doesn't feel the vibration, or just doesn't feel like coming :lol:

I bought several flashlights, and I'm going to try to learn to "charge" them, like a clicker in clicker training. Maybe a laser light would be better...easier to see in daylight?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
16,022 Posts
Also, it seems most of the show dog trainers use hot dogs cut up into bits.
The smell alone should motivate. :lol: Another way may be to use the treat and ask
both to sit at the same time and before they can have the treats they BOTH have to sit.
I do this with all four of mine and that is how Clara caught on to sitting.
:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,604 Posts
I've got to stop spoiling my dogs so much :lol: Probably food would be a betteer motivator if they got less of it. :lol: I think it'll help too that I've stopped free feeding. They may be a whole lot more interested in the weiners if they've just walked 4 miles & haven't eaten yet...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nanniesrock said:
I've got to stop spoiling my dogs so much :lol: Probably food would be a betteer motivator if they got less of it. :lol: I think it'll help too that I've stopped free feeding. They may be a whole lot more interested in the weiners if they've just walked 4 miles & haven't eaten yet...
I never feed my dog in the morning until he has been walked and exercised.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top