Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep researching AB's while I search for prospective breeders and I am curious about a few things . I have read that you can't score a dog's hips till 24 months of age ? So my question is this , Why would some breeders only offer a 1 yr guarantee on their puppies instead of the 2 yr guarantee I have found from some breeders ? Sorry if this is the wrong forum , I am new here and wasn't sure where to place this .

Mike

·
Registered
269 Posts
It is really hard to find breeders that will do a perfect hip certification, guarantee, etc. Your best bet is to find a breeder that does either PennHIP or OFA on the parents -- or at least one. There are no 100% guarantees that you will avoid hip dysplasia. Some shady breeders will claim they are certified, so be sure to ask for the cert number and call and verify it.

Last, once you get the dog, do your part to help prevent problems as well.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I would just stay away from that breeder, most will offer a life time guarantee. Usually at 1 year though you have a pretty good idea whether the dog will be dysplastic or not. If the dog isn't dysplastic at 1 year it is usually fine for life. Some dogs will actually fail OFA, but as they get older their hips will tighten and they could pass.

I hope that made sense

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
mjh68 said:
I keep researching AB's while I search for prospective breeders and I am curious about a few things . I have read that you can't score a dog's hips till 24 months of age ? So my question is this , Why would some breeders only offer a 1 yr guarantee on their puppies instead of the 2 yr guarantee I have found from some breeders ? Sorry if this is the wrong forum , I am new here and wasn't sure where to place this .

Mike

yup, that is exactly it. you can not certify hips until a dog is two years old so if a breeder will not cover a pup until they are, at least, that old i would not consider them. there are things that are just as important as hips to consider as well tho, please don't think that just because a breeder is screening hips that they are being responsible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.