Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have a question......is it easy to train an American Bulldog? I have an 8 month old that I am training. I havhe got her to sit, laydown, belly crawl, is house and crate trained, but am still wondering if it's harder for her to learn the "difficult stuff". Thanks for any help in advance.

·
Registered
790 Posts
probably the easiest breed to train

they are on par with german shepards. easy.
they think abit different but once you understand their motivation, then they are extremely easy.

they are not like a malinois or a border collie, and they seem not to be as clear headed, but they learn very quick.

They are probably the smartest of the bully breed, but that depends on the bloodlines, as well.

The dogs from protection working lines is infinitely more trainable than the ones from "doing nothing" lines, for obvious reasons.

The REAL question is, "can you deal with the brains?" Smart dogs need to exercise their minds.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Re: probably the easiest breed to train

PeterC said:
they are on par with german shepards. easy.
they think abit different but once you understand their motivation, then they are extremely easy.

they are not like a malinois or a border collie, and they seem not to be as clear headed, but they learn very quick.

They are probably the smartest of the bully breed, but that depends on the bloodlines, as well.

The dogs from protection working lines is infinitely more trainable than the ones from "doing nothing" lines, for obvious reasons.

The REAL question is, "can you deal with the brains?" Smart dogs need to exercise their minds.
i agree and disagree my abs were extreamly easy to train my 1st female 2 weeks potty training and never a accedent the other 2 a little longer and my oldest female is one of the smartest dogs i have ever owned she will pick up anything i teach her in a day with no problem

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, it took me about 5 minutes to teach her to sit, lay and then belly crawl to me all at the same time. She can almost respond to english when I tell her to sit. Thanks. Also is it posible to teach her to shake my hand when she need's to go to the bathroom? If so how? Also any books recomended on training techniques would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Star said:
Yea, it took me about 5 minutes to teach her to sit, lay and then belly crawl to me all at the same time. She can almost respond to english when I tell her to sit. Thanks. Also is it posible to teach her to shake my hand when she need's to go to the bathroom? If so how? Also any books recomended on training techniques would be appreciated.
Its possible..Or you could teach her to ring bells that hang on the door to go outside where she goes potty or ring a doorbell thats on the floor so you know she's gotta go! :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good idea. I gotta get a picture of her so I won't be the only one without a pic of my dog :lol:

·
Registered
634 Posts
LegendsMami said:
Star said:
Its possible..Or you could teach her to ring bells that hang on the door to go outside where she goes potty or ring a doorbell thats on the floor so you know she's gotta go! :D
:laughing3:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The doorbell would probly be more effective in waking me up at night! Sometimes I let her freeroam at night.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea normally she sits there for a minute and then hits me in the head to wake me up in the night when she has to go I think I like the bells and the doorbell better. ](*,)

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
If Legend's gotta go in the middle of the night he pulls the cover off of me. And if I still don't get up he'll jump on the bed and paw at me. lol

·
Registered
14,577 Posts
First, your dog isn't woth a crap unless it bites someone with a padded arm.

Second...your pooch will be just great! Your AB will be food motivated and will learn what you want, quickly. If you would like suggestions..I'm no expert, but you can PM me. Good luck!!

Oh, and I'm joking on the first part.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea last night she wet the floor but that's because I didn't get up she didn't smack me hard enough. lol. but it was my fault so can't do anything there!lol

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Re: probably the easiest breed to train

PeterC said:
AGREED! These dogs need more than regular training and a 15 minute walk. Some kind of mental stimulation is always a good thing, 3 mile runs, or thinking scent games. Bikjoring, roller blading, agility, shutzhund, anything like that. A simple tennis ball game is simply not enough. Abby was pretty easy to train, although she had her days. She was always ahead in obedience classes and was the role model for the other dogs in agility class.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts