Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a AB puppy and it seems that some have longer snouts, and are more stocky than others. I'm looking for a smaller female with a longer snout and not so stocky and broad chested body. And also if anyone knows of any breeders in southern california with the type of AB that i am looking for, that information would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
It sounds like you should take a look at this....It explains the different lines it sounds to me that you are looking for a Scott type or a Hybrid but I will let you decide for yourself.........Don't go by what the mom Looks like becuase this is a working breed and for the better part looks are the last consideration when a responsible breeder breeds...Look at the puppies becuase Tora's Mom had a very bully face what I mean is she had that short noses.....but Tora and one of her sisters has a longer nose the rest of the nine puppies had that beautiful bully face...Anyways here is your link..Good luck :D http://www.bulldoginformation.com/american-bulldog-types.html

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you so much that helps out alot. when looking for a scotts style pup are there different breeders for that type?

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Message Carrie on this board...or I will PM her and ask her to answer this thread, ok. I think she is in that area, (or used to be) and I'm not sure if she still breeds, but I bet she will know someone who does.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
LuvaBULL said:
Message Carrie on this board...or I will PM her and ask her to answer this thread, ok. I think she is in that area, (or used to be) and I'm not sure if she still breeds, but I bet she will know someone who does.
I second that. Carrie definitely knows her stuff and should be able to point you in the right direction!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Anyone looking to purchase as American Bulldog for the first time I recomend this book.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/09...9376/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-7179184-5937569?ie=UTF8

It tells you the origin of the American Bulldog, how the different types became how they did. Describes the benefits of each kind.

Describes the author personal search for his first American Bulldog and what he learned by going to the kennels he did. Then it goes into him training his dog in weight pulling obeience and protection work.

Talks about nutrition... and finishes up with breaking down about 12 of the best kennels out there. You get the owner of each kennels persective on what they look for in the dogs they are breeding and why the breed that certain type of dog. Some of the scott breeders don't care too much for the Johnson type dogs and vise versa.

Another thing I learned from the book is the different bloodlines prior to the Scott and Johnson stran.

Like the Williamson dogs, which my puppy has a fair share of it in him.

It's a really good book.. even if you already have a American Bulldog it's a good read, because then you can go back and look at your predigree and have a better understanding of you dog's bloodline. If you are going to invest money in a dog... pick this book up first.

My puppy is currently 14 weeks old. I got him from Jousha Kennels, which breed performance type dogs you are looking for. I got lucky and just happened to conact them the day someone decided to withdraw their purchase for a pup. He can be a handful right now at times, but he's a really smart dog. House training wasn't a problem, picked it up real easy. I trained him to sit and down at 9 weeks in about a 15 minute span. I send about 5 mintues teaching him the stay command a few weeks ago... just to get him started and to my suprise he already had it down the next day, when I went to work with him again.

Jousha kennels can be found at http://www.joshuakennels.com/

Laura Kennels - which are cousins with Jousha Kennels can be located here http://www.laurakennels.com/

They have a female puppy from Monte and Ellie for sale now (11 weeks old) . Monte is the sire of my puppy.

Knowles Kennels - Their tog dog is from Jousha kennels (Roscoe) http://www.knowleskennels.com/

·
Registered
704 Posts
There are 3 recognized types of AB and 2 written standards. We have the Johnson type (also known as classic or bully) that is typically thicker, bullier and more mastiff or bulldoggy
in appearance) The second is the Scott type (also known as the performance or standard type) and lastly, the hybrid type, which is a cross between the two. The confusing part is that many breeders and lines are producing different sub types within the categories...it really boils down to liking a particular look within a line and researching breeders who work with that line specifically. Feel free to contact me, and I can give you some more in depth info on the breed and lines, etc. it can be so confusing to new folks!

Yep, the WAB book is a good read. For internet info though, I highly recommend the American Bulldog Resources website at http://www.dogresources.com/abrhome.html
There are links to hundreds of breeders, breed information, health, message boards, shows, everything.

I do know of many reputable breeders in CA. Bybee's American Bulldogs is one one the top for Southern Cali http://www.bybeesambulls.com They are more of a hybrid breeder, but they started with standards and still have some excellent ones. Thier dogs are health tested, guaranteed and proven in many areas (ABA CH, protection, catching, etc.) There are lots of other good performance people in CA..it all depends on what you are looking for in a dog..pet, show, working, etc.

As I stated, feel free to contact me if you have any questions I can help with.[/url]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm definetly looking for a scotts style AB. I find myself on the internet all day, everyday looking for my future pup. It's so hard finding the right breeder. The more im learning about these amazing dogs the more excited I get. Thanks to all for the helpfull information.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Carrie and Lisa, Jasper and Rosco are two dogs that thrill me everytime I see your sigs. Since this is a discussion about AB breedlines - what type are your two dogs?

Thanks,

ScottB

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
ScottB said:
Carrie and Lisa, Jasper and Rosco are two dogs that thrill me everytime I see your sigs. Since this is a discussion about AB breedlines - what type are your two dogs?

Thanks,

ScottB
Hi Scott! Thanks for the interest in my dog! Rosco is basically the product of an outcrossing. He's out of a Barbosa female bred to a hybrid male down from a mix of MGK, Sure Grip, Leclerc, a bit of Johnson amongst a few others. Thanks again for the compliment!

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
If u r looking for a longer snout not thick bully ab i think souzas american bulldogs are around you. He produces nice healthy working ABs
I think hes in Arizona not sure how close that is to you, but hes a great breeder and i think may have pups!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Thank you Scott..you made Jasper blush! LOL! Jasper has MGK, Boyd, S.G. and Kennedy dogs....basically he is Margentina, Sure Grip and Johnson bred...a hybrid by pedigree and a bully by looks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
This is my first post on this forum.

Tara, as Carrie wrote, there are three basic catagories. On the West coast, the Hybrid (Johnson X Scott cross) has been the prevailing type for quite a few years. The Standard (Scott) Phenotype is dominant, and most "blends" resemble it more then the "bully" type.

I use the word "blend" because the mix of the two types is multi-generation in most cases. "Hybrid" implies a 50-50 mix, or first generation.

The concept or vision with the blended types is to promote the better attributes of both through selective breeding and at the same time elliminate the negative traights.

Decent leg, even top lines, proper angulation, heavy muscle, abrupt stop, deep muzzle, large and strong teeth, wide rear that matches front, and most important an affectionate, animated personality with great nerves and enough drive to do most tasks.

JEFF
http://www.jr-abs.com

1 - 15 of 15 Posts