Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have introduced myself on a couple of other pages so I thought I would do so here as well. My wife and I have made this site a regular stop and because you are all so informative we bought an AB over the weekend. We picked a breeder that is here in Ohio and Bubba came home with us this weekend. He is 7 weeks old and weighs about 9-10 lbs. YOU SHOULD SEE HIS FATHER!! Boy are we in for some serious space losing :D. We are so excited and our kids are in heaven.
I wanted to get some opinions from you on a few things we are doing currently. If any of you have advice on changes PLEASE let me know.

1. We are crate training. We have a cage that is just big enough for him to stand up and turn around but not too cramped. He does have some room to play(but not much). He is in crate at night and when we go out. He does whine a little at night but we have two children and know the rule "don't pay attention"

2. He does have chew toys but he likes to chew on blankets and towels. We constantly tell him NO when he is biting on something he shouldn't.

3. Potty Training is handled only outside. We do not allow him to go in the house but he has had a few accidents. We try to catch him but there isn't any warning, he just goes. Some previous dogs we have had "circled" and we knew it was time. Bubba just goes and I think it's because the breeder let him do this in the area she kept the pups. Does this get easier and from your experience do AB learn quickly as long as we teach them the right thing to do?

4. Feeding! We may be doing this wrong. We are feeding him in the morning (after we let him out) about 7:00 a.m. and then again @ 4 or 5. He gets water at this time as well. We are afraid to give him water whenever he wants because we are trying to train him. We are feeding him what the breeder was, Iams Rice and Pork(hard) and Jack(something) soft. I can't think of the name. Does he need to be fed 3 times a day or just feed him twice. He doesn't over eat and hardly finishes the whole bowl of food.

5. Did you all worry your dog was going to go to the bathroom in the house anytime your new pup walked around? My wife thinks I'm crazy :D

6. I tried to walk him on the leash yesterday but he isn't having it. he pulls away until his collar comes off. I think I may be moving too fast and putting too much on him at once. thoughts?

We have only had him for 2 days and it is hard work for someone who is not used to it. We are teaching our children that this is their responsibility too and making them help out. Does it get easier?

Thanks to all of you. You all helped us make a great decision.

James

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Family of 5 said:
1. We are crate training. We have a cgae that is just big enough for him to stand up and turn around but not too cramped. He does have some room to play(but not much). He is in crate at night and when we go out. He does whine a little at night but we have two children and know the rule "don't pay attention"
Good job! eventually he will learn that he is in there and when you come back you will let him out
2. He does have chew toys but he likes to chew on blankets and towels. We constantly tell him NO when he is biting on something he shouldn't.
Stern no is good. And also maybe when you say no, give him a toy instead
3. Potty Training is handled only outside. We do not allow him to go in the house but he has had a few accidents. We try to catch him but there isn't any warning, he just goes. Some previous dogs we have had "circled" and we knew it was time. Bubba just goes and I think it's because the breeder let him do this in the area she kept the pups. Does this get easier and from your experience do AB learn quickly as long as we teach them the right thing to do?
Thats exactly what Kate would do, she would just go! Oh and boy was I frustered. One thing to help this is to just take him out maybe every half hour or so. Especailly after he's played a lot or after drinking a lot of water. And then when he does go outside, huge praise!! Tell him how good he is! This is a process tho, it will take a few months for him to completely realize to go outside and figure out how to let you know.
4. Feeding! We may be doing this wrong. We are feeding him in the morning (after we let him out) about 7:00 a.m. and then again @ 4 or 5. He gets water at this time as well. We are afraid to give him water whenever he wants because we are trying to train him. We are feeding him what the breeder was, Iams Rice and Pork(hard) and Jack(something) soft. I can't think of the name. Does he need to be fed 3 times a day or just feed him twice. He doesn't over eat and hardly finishes the whole bowl of food.
Check out the food and ratings section in the health and exercise area and get him on a new food. Iams is filled with fillers and crap. and is just not healthy for your dog. There are lots of other good foods out there and some can be found at petsmart/petco too. Feeding him only twice a day is okay. If he's not finishing all his food maybe even give him a little less. The water thing... I think for right now, you don't need to make it available to him all time as you said for training purposes. But make sure its around if he has been playing a lot. You still want to keep him hydrated!
5. Did you all worry your dog was going to go to the bathroom in the house anytime your new pup walked around? My wife thinks I'm crazy :D
all the time!! It's a normal worry. One thing to help with this is to maybe put a leash on him and tie it to your jeans. so he's with you all the time while your home. That way you can catch him even while hes in the middle of doing it and take him out right away!
6. I tried to walk him on the leash yesterday but he isn't having it. he pulls away until his collar comes off. I think I may be moving too fast and putting too much on him at once. thoughts?
I'm not good with this one. But one thought is to put the leash on him at home and just let him walk around the house with it on. Let him get used to that feeling

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
Okay, let me give you my opinions one question at a time.

Potty training: this should get easier. he may not have any warning himself yet, so he can't give you any either. seven weeks is really young.

feeding: bil jac, maybe? neither of those are great foods - there is much better stuff out there. do a search for foods, and you will get tons of suggestions. as for feeding twice or three times daily, the suggestion is three times a day for young pups. they can only get so much food in their little tummies, but it metabolizes quickly. You have to do what works for your family, too, though. you don't want to feed him too late in the evening, or you'll have to make a potty run at about 3 am. :roll:

Yes, whenever my pup walks on the carpet, I always feel sure they are about to pee on it! :?

Leash walking: he's way too young to expect him to walk on a leash. let him get used to a collar or harness first, then slowly work up to a leash. he has no idea what you're asking of him.

And, yes. It will get easier! :D It's worth every second of worry!

Welcome to the forum! Enjoy your pup!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Just thought I would give you a little of my input.

As he gets bigger, you will notice the crate is a must have!!! Although my AB is not 15 weeks and they grow FAST!!! So don't expect him to be in the size crate you purchased for very long. Also, I have found that every time we put him is his crate, we give him a treat, kind of making him follow the smell of the treat and to know getting in the crate is a good thing.

Check out the sight for the food, you could be feeding him much better!! I use Nutro Ultra puppy.

As far as potty training. Good Luck, it is a pain in the you know what!!! When Zack was a little younger he would just walk an pee at the same time. Try no to reprimand him too much, because then he will be scared to pee at all, inside or out. When we take Zack out to pee or poo we ALWAYS have a treat for him (just a piece of dog food works with him, lots of praise!!). The second he pees we make a big deal, "good boy", lots of praise in a happy voice, and a treat, lot of petting. He is basically house trained now. He is also bell trained. Not sure if anyone here does that or not, but he knows to ring the bell on the door when he goes out. So I can hear him, if not he would pee in front of the door.

Give him a little time with the leash, but I would make him wear a collar to get the feel of always having something on his neck.

Good luck with your new baby, if you have any more questions, I am sure someone will be glad to help you as much as possible.

I have learned so much here!!!! Haven't had a question yet someone could not answer!!
But BEWARE this sight is ADDICTIVE!!

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
If your puppy is messing in the house or ripping up towels etc you are giving it too much freedom. Keep it in the crate unless you can watch its every move.

IAMS is crap food. Check the Health and Exercise section of the forum where they show you how to rate food. It also gives a list of foods that have already been graded so you can see how they compare. How much are you feeding your puppy each meal?

I don't see a problem starting to teach your pup to walk on a leash. If pup refuses to walk DON"T STOP WALKING!! Keep going and your pup will be forced to follow you. Eventually it will learn its easier to go with you. If his collar comes off then it isn't fitted properly.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Well Welcome to the forum and to the ownership of an American Bulldog (or should I say his ownership of you!) I am sure you will find this forum addictive and your new family member very loyal and loving! I cannot agree more with the advise you have been given so far! It sounds as if you got most under control. I have only one additional bit of advise and that is to remember that you have a bulldog! They are very loving, loyal but most of all bullheaded and strong willed. This is not a bad thing at all but he will test your limits (patience) unlike other breeds. So do be patient with him, he will be worth it. Please do post photos a.s.a.p. We all will be looking forward to them! Best of luck and welcome again!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts