Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Sorry havent been on much this past week or so Just got back from my honeymoon on Monday and still taking care of some loose ends while im off work but I have a little problem..Mason has been developing what I think is an allergic reaction to SOMETHING.. not sure what yet.. he had it before I left my vet looked at it and said give him 20 mg of benadryl twice a day and it should clear it up...So I went out and bought some and took to my friend who was watching him aside from being groggy she said after a couple of days it cleared right up... So i got him back tuesday morning and everything was fine... well since then it has come back and the benadryl doesnt seem to help it much, Ive even put anti itch cream on it (Benadryl as well)..It doesnt seem to hurt him but act more as a inconvience.. he itches alot every now and then and he has tiny what look like bites on insides on his legs and one fairly big one that is raised and really red cause it's the one he scartches right next to his private area.... Like I said he's still happy and playing and seems to walk fine but sometimes it just bugs the heck out of him..

I should add he had the tiny red dots when he saw the vet and I mentioned fleas and she said it loked like allergys...

So any idea what it could be? any idea if it's the food I swicthed him too? What about something better or stronger then benadryl, I think im gonna take him to vet again, also I wil post pics of what im talking aboiut but im trying to make the little guy get some sleep..

Sorry for long post and thanks for any input..

Andrew

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump

·
Registered
162 Posts
could be anything

It could be a variety of things. If the bumps don't go away then I suggest you bring him to the vet. Benadryl worked for my pup a few days and it came back too. So we had to go to the vet and he gave us prednisone that took caare of it right away. Could be grass, bugs, food. You won't really know...you can try switching the food to see if it helps. But it may take a few days before you will notice a difference. Consult your vet I would say and explain the benadryl is not working and the allergy comes back.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Zeus had little red bumps and some really big, inflamed ones on his belly and under his arms (legs) a while back. I thought maybe it was ant bites and/or he is allergic to grass. They vet said they looked infected and put him on antibiotic for 10 days. They are completely gone and haven't come back. I haven't been leaving him outside much because of the heat though. I also switched his food after that to Nutro Naturals. Might be worth changing food. ?? Good luck.

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for those, im gonna call my vet to see what they recommend.. im hoping its not the food cause he loves it and it doesnt give him any tummy issues finally..

·
Registered
979 Posts
It could be flea bite allergy. It's in the zone to see it - the groin, and the base of the tail. Is he on a flea control?

Paula

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
How much does he weigh? My vet has told me that I could give 1mg of Benedryl per 1lb. of body weight, 3 times a day. Unless Mason weighs about 20 lbs., 20mg of Benedryl probably won't do much for him.

Try to stay away from prednisone, though. It's a steroid that can cause more harm than good, especially in a young pup.

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
he weighs 30lbs on his last vet visit (last thursday), so since im no math genius, if I only have a syringe that measures in millileters how much should I give him.. im gonna call vet to see what they say..

As far as flea control he's on none, givehim flea baths.. only meds he's on is his once a month heartgard (Heartworm preventive)

Any recommendation on flea meds..

**Wait I just remembered my wife bought something to treat fleas just as a preventive but she didnt buy the frontlin cause it was like 80 bucks and I didnt think it was worth it.. should we get something else...??

I wil post pics soon

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Obelisk said:
he weighs 30lbs on his last vet visit (last thursday), so since im no math genius, if I only have a syringe that measures in millileters how much should I give him.. im gonna call vet to see what they say..
Why not just give him the pills? I'd just go with 25mg and half of a child's dose (~6mg). I give Bella two 25mg pills and a child's dose (12.5 mg). For some reason Bella gets really excited when I get out Benedryl pills. She sits there and lets me put them down her throat like they're a treat!

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I thought pills but Mason is impossible to give pills but hey ill give it a try.. ill prob go by two packs of bendryl in a few hours, the regular and the cildrens and we'll see how it goes. Thanks for the advice :)

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
The children's kind are chewable, so you might have luck getting him to eat those. I think they're more expensive than the adult dosage (for the same weight). If you go that route, you could give him 2 1/2 tablets. Benedryl is just a quick fix to a problem, though. Definitely get to the root of the problem! Good luck!

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
Flea preventative is a MUST, and the stuff you buy that's cheap won't work. 1-800-pet meds has good deals on Frontline and K9 Advatix. I personally prefer K9 Advantix, because it repels and kills fleas, as well as mosquitoes.

Once you get that on him, you should see an major improvement. Also, 5 milliliters is equivalent to 1 teaspoon. If it's Children's Benadryl, that's 12.5 mg per teaspoon, so he could have 2 teaspoonsful.

And, bathing him too much is just going to dry out his skin and cause more itching. Go get some K9 Advantix or Frontline...you can get it at PetCo and PetSmart, or order online for slightly less. You can also order a CaPStar..it will kill all felas on him in 30 minutes...that's something you only use once, justto get rid of the flea infestation, before putting on the preventative. Oh...and if you have carpet, after you put the preventative on him, vaccuum really well, take out the vaccuum bag and throw it away immediately (helps prevent any flea egss from hatching)

Hope his itchies are gone soon!

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks like im going back to petsmart today..Thanks again...

I dont think it's fleas because I had my vet check but ya never know.. I bath him maybe twice a month, every other week..

he hasnt had bath for 3 weeks though so we'll see..

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
These bully bumps will drive you crazy, i know!
We need to have a sticky just for them!! :wink:

When Orson was a puppy, that was when he had
bumps the worst. Vet said allergies, like reaction to bug
bites and put him on Keflex (antibiotic). They would clear but come back
few weeks later. So frustrating cause vet really had no idea on solution.
When he got older, it was longer between outbreaks, but still happening.
After finding this forum i switched to allergy free food and treats...duck and potato.
Now, no more bumps!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts