Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
If he's still very young, I would put the leash on him in the house and let him drag it around a little - that way he won't freak the first time you try to take him out on it.

Sorry - that's the only 2 cents I have to offer. :D

·
Super Moderator
15,981 Posts
Treyfeezy said:
she's about 8 weeks i tried that the other day she took about 3 steps sat down and started chewing on the thing
That's fine, just get a cheap one she can teeth on. This way she is getting used to it.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
8 weeks is still young.At this age you should be working on BO rather then training to walk on a leash.
I would be housebreaking first and foremost then working on BO~sit,down,stay, and so on.
I started Buster out on a leash at 4-5 months.They shouldn't go for walks till all shots are completed and there joints are less frail, I started Buster on long walks and hikes at 6 months of age.

·
Agent Squint
4,224 Posts
Short regular Ob. Marlee, I have been training since she was 9 weeks old. Just a busrt of training here and there. To help pup walk on the leash use lots of encouragment, start using a command you want to use in the future, ie Heel or close....then when you go on short walks or around the home use your command in a happy chirpy voice, keep them focused and he/she will not even realise they are on the leash :)

Example.

"Close, what a good girl/boy, Close what a good doggie woggie"

If your voice isn't enough get a squeaky toy to hlp keep him/her focused, hold the ball with the opposite hand to the side you want the dog to walk on, hold close to your shin the side the dog is on... so doggie isn't have to jump up to see what you got. When you have a successful walk let pups run free with ball for a bit :) Dogs/pups like to end on a good note :) Then put ball away for next lesson or walk :)

·
Registered
357 Posts
what is the best way to get a dog that will fights the leash to walk... if I let the leash go the dog walks and when I pick it up she stops. I have never had this stuborn a dog before. Normally I would just pull till she comes (ie) Kohler method but is there another way.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
bigut64 said:
I guess it depends on the dog, my dog was fine walking on the leash at 9 weeks, he wouldnt walk up the stairs though, we had to work on that for a couple weeks.
True, does depend on the dog. I started to walk mine on the around 9 weeks too, I figured the sooner the better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.