Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Loki is 8 wks old , and my breeder had recommended switching him to adult food within a few weeks has anyone else switched that early ? Also the diarrhea problem he is having could it be from his original puppy food ? I kept him on the same food that the breeder had , but he was only on it about 1-2 weeks before I picked him up could it take this long to show up as disagreeing with his system ? He is on Diamond puppy and I have been planning to switch him to either Dick Van Patten's or Authority Harvest Baked does anyone have any suggestions ? Thank you again for your time

mike

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
As for the switching of food.. Couldnt tell you, I knwo some people like to swicth their pups early because puppy food has higher fat levels and protein I believe which Ive heard will make your pup put on more weight faster and grow quicker therefore potentially gorwing too fast and causing joint problems down the road.. dont quote me on that just what ive picked up from around here..

As for the food im battling the same thing only Mason is 16 weeks tomorrow and I just dont think the Authority Harvest baked sat well in his tummy, so now im trying him on RC but his diarrhea could have easily been caused by parasite that has been undetected in his test so I wont know if it was the food or not until he's off his meds..

If your gonna switch yur pup you must do it gradually.. keep him on his current food that he's used to, and start mixing the old and new food when he eats... this was my schedule

1st week: 3/4 old, 1/4 new
2nd week: 1/2 and 1/2
3rd week: I swicthed him over completely...

Again thats just my opinion, feel free to ask others

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I've heard alot of people switching anywhere from 6-12 months but never as early as your breeder suggested. But there are very good foods out there that are for all stages of life. Personally, I switched my first EB over at 8 months and plan to do the same with me second.

Diarrhea can be caused by different foods with different dogs. It all depends on the dog. You just have to find out which one works best. But first, have you taken a stool sample to your vet? It could be worms. You really should get that checked quickly if you have not. I can get very unhealthy if not taken care of.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I know of many AB breeders who do not feed puppy food at all..they start the pups on adult for thier first solid meal. Personally, I start pups on adult food between 4-6 months depending on how fast they are growing and how large they will potentially grow to. As with any food change, it should be done gradually over a week or more (depending on how sensitive thier tummies are)

As far as your pup with runny stools....if he has gotten into other dogs food a few times, it very well could cause an upset. Pups are like Hoovers..anything they can pick up off the ground to chew, they will..think about what plants or grass or? he could have gotten into. Otherwise, I would run a fecal sample to the vet and check for parasites, coccidia or parvo.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Here is a thread that has a lot of useful info about food...It grades different brands not all will be availbe in your area but you culd have them shipped to you( if you have the time and money) But if you scroll down it has some foods pre-graded for youhttp://www.bulldogbreeds.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?t=642

Authority Harvest Baked / Score 116 A+

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had taken him to the Vet today , I had that posted on another thread sorry about that . His fecal test was negative and they did a parvo test as well that was negative along with a smear of his intestinal flora which also came back normal . The vet wasn't sure why he was having diarrhea , but thought the different foods he got into could have caused it .
I asked the vet about switching him and she said I could switch him to a large breed food and recommended science diet ... :lol: I told her no thanks , I was going to get a higher quality food and she looked at me like I had two heads.

I will hold off on switching him to adult food then , but I did plan on mixing his old food in and doing it slowly as recommended. Thank you everyone for the quick responses and I appreciate it .

Mike

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
If his diarrhea keeps up make them test him for giardia..it is a parasite that is often over looked that can cause hellish diarrhea for long periods

1 - 7 of 7 Posts