Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me an idea of how much it should cost to get a pup spayed? My vet said around $600.00. I have not been that happy with this vet for a number of reasons:

1) Recommended Science Diet
2) Wanted to Zoe to stay overnight when she ate mushrooms in the yard. Come to find out that there is NO ONE there from 6pm to 8am, so if she did have a seizure or another reaction, there was no one there for her (think they just wanted to charge us more).
3) Did not want to discuss possible reasons Zoe would be itching for 4 months straight, just kept putting her on more and more pills, shots, sprays, steroids. (she has not itched in a month since we changed her food.)

Is this a reasonable price and am I just being an overprotective puppy parent?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
holy crap!!! WAYYYYY too much! Kate's was $150 something or lower but I spent almost $200 because I got the pre-op blood work, pain meds for after that she definitly did not need and we didn't even use!, and she got her heartworm test done at that time too.

And she didn't stay over night. I had to drop her off before 8 and she was able to be picked up around 4:30. all she did that night was sleep in her own comfy crate

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
:shock: $600?!? Wow! Thats outrageous! Our vet charges $180 for a regular spay (included meds, anesth. after care, 1 night stay, and suture removal in a week) or a laser spay (less bleeding, swelling, pain, etc, etc) for $250 (includes everything a reg spay does).

I'de seriously start looking for a different vet. If you are not happy with the care YOUR dog recieves there, go somewhere else. You don't need to be supporting a medical professional who you are not comfortable with.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Wow...$600 is ridiculous!! We paid about $300 for Bella's (included the surgery, pre-surgery bloodwork, pain meds, post op. sedatives, one night's stay at the vet's office), and even that was too much, in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
You guys don't want to know what I just paid to get Maddie spayed.

I went ahead and did it though because it was an emergency (very close to having pyometra) and it's not like there were many options in this small town I'm in atm.

(ok, I paid $1100 for her surgery - complete charge for everything, which included removal of a few small cists as well - and it was also a mature spay which is more difficult - I was digusted with this vet who also tried to really push his food one me, even though I told him that I have done my research and know what's best for my dog - he just shook his head at me the bastard)

BUT, Maddie is alive and well and doing awesome. That is all that matters.

OH, and I also forked out $400 for 4 sets of shots this month for her (cartrophen).

Vets can be real a$$holes and I am really missing the blue cross I used to visit in Toronto. Thankfully I am moving out of Timmins in a couple weeks and back to southern ontario where I will have more options for vets.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Way to much!!!! I've never been charged that much for any of my animals.

Actually, Molly is in being fixed right now. I will post tonight how much it was. I'm sure it will be way less than $200 and no overnight stay. I've had many animals fixed and never had to leave them overnight.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Wow! Get a 2nd opinion!! I thought I paid alot! Jazzy was just about $300 and that included her microchip.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
i know it goes by weight, but it does seem like a lot! I paid about 200 for Roxy at 6 months, and that included microchip and antibiotics and pain meds. They didn't keep her over night so she got to come home too, which i prefer

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
WAY TOO MUCH!! From the sounds of it, I'd find me another vet while I was at it. If there are others in your area, switch! ;) If I'm uncomfortable with the advice of my vet, or if I didn't agree with them, thought they were price gouging me, the receptionists were rude, etc. I'd change in a heart beat. I paid $60 I believe when I had Maddie spayed. I inquired from the advice of a friend, about low cost spaying neutering in my area. I had to make an extra trip, before hand to pay for it, set her up, etc. It was well worth it, considering the vet was going to charge me well over $200. They were wonderful with her, and I'd do it all over again.

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
Your instincts are good - $600 is insane. And there are other things about this vet that you don't like as well, I'd be searching for a new vet. You could ask any rescue groups about low cost spay/neuter in your area, or even to recommend a good vet. My pups will all be spayed and neutered on the 25th, and I will pay $40 for each spay (normal is $44, but I get 10% off). These are not crap docs by any means - it's just all they do. They specialize in spay/neuter, and will do basic stuff like vaccinations, HW tests, and microchips. There is bound to be someone like that in your area somewhere.

For me it will be a bit of a drive, but when you're talking about 9 surgeries, it will be well worth the gas money!!! :shock:

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is outragous $600 & $1100 is there going to be any :downtown: for that kind of money? I am a curious person so I did a currency calc $1100CAD computes to $972.230 USD :shock: ..... Anyways Tora will be about $250 which I think is expensive but I loooove my Vet so I am going to let her do it.....

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
apparently it is so expensive up here because this city does not have any funding towards vet costs. most cities down south, Toronto and in the States have government funded programs that give kickbacks to vets for spay/neuter/ and apparently other services..

I will just never live up here in this town again once I move at the end of the month. I was robbed but I had to do the surgery or I would have lost my sweet maddie to a bad pyometra infection / sepsis.

On top of that, the vet up here is charging me $55 per visit, before he even does anything (ie: gives her a 2 second shot)...so I end up paying $55 for the base visit and $50 dollars for the shot she needs every week this month. She then needs a shot every 3 months to keep the level of Cartrophen up (for arthritis in older dogs). I could administer the shots myself, but I think catrophen is only sold in large quantities. I have to look into it.

Dogs can be expensive, but they are worth it in my eyes.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
redbull said:
On top of that, the vet up here is charging me $55 per visit, before he even does anything (ie: gives her a 2 second shot)...so I end up paying $55 for the base visit and $50 dollars for the shot she needs every week this month.
I always hated that about our previous vet. Her office fee was $40, but three or four rounds of puppy shots for Bella and a couple of rounds of antibiotics for staph infections ended up costing us over $500! It's so ridiculous. Our new vet charges a yearly fee of $72 for two dogs and never charges for individual office visits. I love it!!

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Dogs can be expensive, but they are worth it in my eyes.
Dam* straight. I don't mind paying for my dogs health. That's what I signed up for when I got them, but I sure as hel* don't want to get dragged over the coals either. I switched vets recently because our vet moved to a nice new building....and promptly jacked up all their prices to pay for it. I'd rather take my dogs to a vet with a modest office and great care that some froo froo office and pay an arm and a leg.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Your right they are worth every penny!!!!!!!!!! LOL, Tora has by far been the most expensive dog that I have ever owned but I would do it all again.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Bit of a change of subject here, sorry

I will have to have Yemi done in a few months. I have never had a female dog done before and I am concerned about the scar it will leave. She doesn't have any hair on her tummy will she have a very big scar??

Sorry it sounds like a stupid thing to be worried about but I hate the thought of her having a big scar. Mind regardless of the scar I will have to have her done.

It will cost between £90 and £100 which I think is more than enough.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts