Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evo has 42% protein and 22% fat.

Is this too much protien for a 7 month old AmStaff? He is growing fast (around 55lb atm) but i dont want him growing too fast and causing join damage due to the high protien content.

Any advice?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Way to much, my puppy food has 26% protein and 12,0 % fat. Your puppy is 7 month old you better chnage to an adult food 20% protein and 10% fat.

How many times per day does your puppy freak out with this food 42% protein and 22% fat?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He doesnt. Im not feeding him this yet, but i was looking at changing him from Royal Canin Maxi Junior.

His coat doesnt seem to like it, and he has low energy.

Looking for a super premium alternative.

I was also looking at Eagle Pack Holistic Large and Giant breed adult.

Chicken Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Ground White Rice, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Dried Beet Pulp, Pork Meal, Anchovy & Sardine Meal, Tomato Pomace, Flaxseed, Brewers Dried Yeast, Dried Egg Product, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Air Dried Peas, Dried Carrots, Menhaden Fish Oil, Dried Apples, L-Carnitine, Taurine, Quinoa (Organic), Dried Blueberries, Dried Cranberries, Beta-Carotene, Inulin, Dandelion (Organic), Glucosamine Hydrochloride, DL-Methionine, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, d-Pantothenic Acid, Niacin Supplement, Choline Chloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Biotin, Rosemary Extract, Inositol, Dehydrated Kelp, Polysaccharide Complexes of Zinc, Iron, Manganese Copper and Cobalt, Potassium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei, Enterococcus faecium, B. subtillus, Bacillus lichenformis, Bacillus coagulins, Aspergillus oryzae and Aspergillus niger.

Ingredient Index
Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein min. 24.0%
Crude Fat min. 14.0%
Crude Fiber max. 3.9
Moisture max. 10.0%

411 ME (Kcal/cup)

Calcium min. 1.0%
Glucosamine min. 800 ppm; 82 mg/cup*
Phosphorus min. 0.8%
Vitamin A min. 22,000 IU/kg.
Vitamin E min. 200 IU/kg.
Omega 6 min. 3.24%*
Omega 3 min. 0.35%*

No bi products and shit.

Steve

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
You could always just supplemnt your pup with the Evo. That's what I did with my pup Smooch. I would feed her a kibble with more "normal" levels of fat and protien but a few times a week slip her some EVO. I like to have Evo around because it has no grains. I think grains are often what makes dogs fat and most kibbles (even the best ones) contain grain. Feeding Evo to a puppy a few times a week should not hurt your puppy, but I do agree that the protein level is too high to be feeding it exclusivly to a puppy.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I spoke with an Innova rep. both on the phone and via email about feeding Evo to a large breed puppy and they specifically recommend against it. Personally, I'm a big Evo fan. I've never had Maddi on a kibble that she did better with. Right now they're both on DVP for simplicity's sake, but Chance is just about old enough to start on Evo and I think I'm going to be switching them both over to it when this bag of DVP runs out.

Here is some of the correspondence from Natura:

Dear pet lover,

Thank you for contacting us about our products. The Innova EVO is balanced for all life stages, and therefore can be fed to puppies. However, it is not recommended for large breed puppies. Studies have shown that due to the high amount of protein in the EVO, it has a tendency to speed along the developmental stage in the puppies.

The Innova Adult however, is balanced for all life stages as well, and would be a good choice for a large breed puppy, or our newer formula called Innova Large Breed Puppy formula. J

Attached though, you will find the feeding chart for puppies eating the Innova Adult. :)

I hope I have given enough information to adequately address your query. If you have any further questions or need additional information, please feel free to contact me at your convenience.

Please reference the original e-mail when responding.

Tammy Illges
Customer Service
Natura Pet Products
1-800-532-7261
Hi again! :)

I thought i'd send this to you as well, more just for your FYI. ;-)

Here is an excerpt from a letter our Vice President, co-founder, and nutritionist Peter Atkins wrote that might help to further define the Innova EVO and large breed puppies/dogs:

Q. Is EVO Dog Food appropriate to feed to my large breed puppy?

A. No. There are specific products (e.g., Innova Large Breed Puppy) which are intentionally designed for the proper nutritional support of growing puppies with projected mature weights in excess of 60 lbs. EVO was not designed for this purpose.

Q. If it’s nutritionally dense and is effective for a small to medium breed puppy, why won’t it work for my large breed puppy?

A. For the large breed puppy the growth rate must be optimized not maximized, and the mineral balance must be tightly controlled to support skeletal growth. The most effective way in which to control these factors is through the judicious use of high quality carbohydrates.

Q. If I’m really conscientious, could EVO Dog Food work for my large breed puppy?

A. Yes, but generally not recommended. The alternative approach would be to limit the amount of food offered to puppies in an effort to control their growth rate. The challenge with this approach is that it requires a great deal of training and a strong “feel” for the proper size per age for the individual puppy.

Q. I work with puppies all the time, wouldn’t that make me qualified to know if I’m feeding too much or not enough?

A. Most folks, companion animal professionals included, simply don’t have the experience or psychic abilities to predict the perfect growth pattern for their pet. In the case of joint and skeletal problems, when the condition first appears, it’s too late; much damage has already been done. The other factor is our tendency to find rapid growth very gratifying. We feel we’re doing well by our animal. EVO Dog will tend to maximize growth. This could be harmful to the long term health and well being of your large breed puppy.

Q. Can I feed EVO Dog Food to my Adult or Senior Large Breed Dog?

A. Yes. Feeding EVO Dog Food to your adult large breed dog can work very nicely.

Q. What sort of guidelines should be considered if a low-carbohydrate diet is my preferred diet?

A. Evo Dog Food is a very small kibble, extremely palatable, and energy dense. Eating too fast and over-consumption could be real issues.

Q. Why would my dog eat too fast?

A. EVO Dog Food is a very small, palatable, and nutrient dense food. This is not a problem unless your dog eats very rapidly with little chewing. One reason that large breed dog foods are bigger piece-size foods is force these dogs to slow down and chew.

Q. What can be done to overcome this eating behavior?

A. The best strategy to overcome this is to feed multiple small meals a day, thereby reducing the chances that your dog will be overly hungry at meal time. It will tend to slow there consumption and reduce the amount of air ingested. Rapid eating and consumption of air have been associated with “bloat” or GDV.

Q. If EVO dog is so energy dense, are the rest of the nutrients balanced for the needs of a large breed dog.

A. Yes – if fed at or near the recommended daily food allowance. This will assure that they receive the appropriate amount of energy and the rest of the nutrients (protein, fat, mineral, vitamins) are balanced according to the energy level of the food. Thus, if the dog is fed the weight appropriate amount of food, their daily nutrient requirements will be met.

Q. Will EVO Dog Food cause my dog to become fat?

A. Not by itself. If one treats EVO Dog Food like a lower energy food and feeds too much and your dog gets little to no exercise, then your dog could gain weight. On the other hand, if EVO dog food is fed to the appropriate level, your dog receives adequate exercise and plenty of fresh clean water daily, then they will likely not become overweight. In fact, they may become sleeker and better conditioned than if they were fed high-cereal foods.

I hope I have given enough information to adequately address your query. If you have any further questions or need additional information, please feel free to contact me at your convenience.

Please reference the original e-mail when responding.

Tammy Robnett-Illges
Customer Service

Natura Pet Products
1-800-532-7261

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
wow sorry to hijack thread but neer thought about that.. how much is too much protien for a 11 week goin on 12 week old EB???

I got him on harvest baked right now but dont know exact percentile...

·
Registered
576 Posts
Obelisk said:
wow sorry to hijack thread but neer thought about that.. how much is too much protien for a 11 week goin on 12 week old EB???

I got him on harvest baked right now but dont know exact percentile...
I checked the protein. The puppy has 29% and the adult has 25%. That's too high in my opinion. I'd try to stick with about 18-20% while he's growing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts