Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read conflicting ideas about feeding from raised bowls. Some say it causes bloat, some say it prevents bloat. Any advice or experience on this one?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I say raised bowls are great, my late pit had them and my little Pomeranian does too.
They are supposed to be for larger dogs with deep chests, but I think they are better for any breed.

Go on all fours and eat something, which is more comfortable; head up looking forward or head bent down towards the floor? I realize dogs by nature eat from the ground but there are advantages to the raised bowl.

Aids digestion
minimizes risk of bloat
soothes pressure on the hips and other joints from bending down

I'm sure there's others also, my vet recommended a raised bowl for my pit bull.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Only my experience but i have had large deepchested breeds for 17 years and not case of bloat,always fed on the floor.
I do however always take care not to feed sloppy food as i have seen this eaten just before a fatal bloat-only my thoughts obviously and i hope i never have a case of it

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Although bloat is always a concern, I'm thining of getting raised bowls for Chopper since he's pretty big and I want to take care not to put undue stress on his bones. I'd hate to give him raised bowls to help his joints, then cause him bloat by doing it! :?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
My dogs only spend a minute or two at the most on each meal, so I'm not really sure if it really makes a big difference how they eat. I've never really given it much thought, though!
Same here. Bogart eats so quickly that I don't think it would really matter. I have looked at those raised feeders, though, and they do look nice.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
None of ours have raised bowls.

I don't think raised or lowered bowls make a difference about bloat. Just don't let them exercise heavily after eating.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Very timely. I just started using raised bowls for our dogs this week, and just read an article in a new book on Bloat. They did not mention the height issue in the article, but did reference speed of eating.

For what it is worth, getting the correct height is important too. You should have it raised so that it sits 6" below the top of their front shoulders.

As for the eating too fast, we put four golf balls in Zeus' bowl so he has to move them around to eat instead of taking those big gulps and sucking too much air (the main factor in bloat).

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Good advice Thor, not to mention cute dog!
:D

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
The advice my vet gave me for speed eaters is to spread the kibble out on a cookie sheet, so they couldn't inhale large mouthfuls of food at once.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I heard about the golf balls but I always wondered about the same thing.
Once they're covered with gravy, they're fair game.
LMAO!

·
Registered
269 Posts
I was worried about that as well (initially). However, when there is good kibble in the bowl, no dog will be interested in a golf ball.

The cookie sheet is a good idea too You can also feed them out of a Kong ball.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
Thor said:
As for the eating too fast, we put four golf balls in Zeus' bowl so he has to move them around to eat instead of taking those big gulps and sucking too much air (the main factor in bloat).
My dogs would probably eat the golf balls! :shock:
LMAO Chopper DEFINITELY would! :roll:

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
Here's a fun bowl i found to help slow down with eating. It's at "break-fast.net"

Orson also eats in minutes, all the putting balls in the bowl would NOT work for him...
he is soooo ball obsessed he'd rather play with the ball than eat! :roll: Weirdo-dog!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Bogart does get his last meal from his Buster Cube. This thing is great!

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I've seen that bowl before!
:D

·
Registered
203 Posts
As far as I know raised bowl promote bloat, I personally stay away from them.
Somebody once said to put a can into the food bowl so they have to eat around it, slows them down. Probably better than the golf ball, my guys would just it. :lol:

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I've never heard of dogs getting bloat from a raised bowl, I have heard that eating while bent over can cause a dog to gulp and swallow air. I'm not sure if that is true or not, but my vet recommends raised bowls.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts