Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I have a question for all of my fellow bulldog owners who have raised two bulldogs together :) We just lost the love of our life, our 12 year old bulldog Pudge, 4 months ago. She was very attached to me and dog aggressive so we never got her a friend. In return I was very attached to her and would have separation anxiety myself, leaving her. My husband and I are considering getting two female litter mates at 8 weeks old and raising them together so they always have each other and hopefully get along from birth. My only fear is all of the horror stories that I read online about raising litter mates together. I have read that they can get SO dependent on each other and freak out when the are left alone without one another. I have also read that they can grow up to actually hate each other or love each other so much that they never bond with their owner. Can anyone share their experience with me when raising two female litter mates together from birth? Do you recommend it or do you recommend getting one and then adding another say a year later for a companion? Also, when raising two together from birth, you do ever separate them to sleep or throughout the day? Is it hard to control two at one time with all of the potty training, teething, etc? Sorry for all of the questions, I just want to make sure we make the right decision for us and more importantly our future bulldogs! Thank you everyone!! <3 <3 <3

·
Super Moderator
1,432 Posts
I think that two pups at once would be more than I am interested in dealing with at this point. It could work but you would have to do some seperate training activities with them.

·
Super Moderator
15,989 Posts
To be honest there is no way to tell what they will be like together once they hit 8
months of age or older. Especially if they are of the same sex. If you do this make
sure you have a male and a female. Which both would need to be neutered and
spayed before a mistake happens between them. Bulldogs of the same sex have a
high tendency to be jealous of each other which automatically starts issues, resource
guarding and fights. If it were me and I wanted to raise two dogs together, I think I
would research several different breeds to see which would be the most compatible
together and more laid back. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Here is some info from the web that may help: http://dogcare.dailypuppy.com/raise-two-dogs-1653.html

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had 2 female mixed breed litter mates that started out amazing, they were inseperable and loving to each other and pretty obedient, but by the time they got to 3 years old they decided they were arch enemies and Shadow got it from Maisie bad. After 2 years of hell on earth in my home I had to rehome one of them for our sanity! It got so bad Maisie would pee on Shadow whilst she slept! They couldn't cross paths anywhere without WW3 every single time....
If I ever had 2 dogs ever again I'd get them at least a year apart.
Good luck..

·
Registered
4 Posts
A year apart and opposite sex.. I forgot to say I definitely think both being female played a massive role in what happened with my 2..

·
Super Moderator
15,989 Posts
Pinar1, you are correct. It is always better to have dogs of the opposite sex. Females
usually do not get along, expecially if one of them is a resource guarder.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts