Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Deuce had his first raw bone last night. He loved it. I just have a question. How long can they have it before you should get rid of it? The same day? Do they spoil?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I usually get rid of them just after their done chewing on them. Some people leave them lying around, but they just accumulate and stink. My dogs get them several times a week, so there's really no need for me to leave the old ones lying around.

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Obviously Mason is too toung for these right now but at what age can I start giving him these bones... where do you get them from? I was told I could just go to a butcher

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
If the bones have "stuff" left on them, I put them in a ziploc in the fridge if they aren't chewing on them. After three-four days they're pretty much done and I toss them. we get our right at the grocery store. They come two or three in a pack frozen....cost me about $3.00. :D

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Funny...ours never stay around long enough to stink! We give them a few times a week, or whenever we have them on hand. My dogs can have a bone all day and be fine, other dogs tend to get diarrhea if they eat too much marrow at once. It's kind of a trial and error type of thing! I would think you could give him bones whenever you feel like it. I get mine from the grocery store most of the time, but when I can get to the butcher I prefer it from there. I got a whole cow leg bone for $1.30, which is way better priced than the grocery store. Just make sure they are raw bones. Bones weaken when they are cooked, and you have more of a possibility of splinters.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Thanks from a helpful hint from Leeann, we go to the butcher to get ours. A frozen femur costs about $1.50. Some grocery stores sell them too.

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
this is gonna sound really dumb but ehhhh thats me.. :oops:

When yu say butcher do you mean like back in the meat department?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I'm not the original post, but I think they're refering to a business that sells only (or mainly) meat. We have them out here in New England. You get higher quality, fresher meat for good prices. Plus there's something about bringing your meat home wrapped in fresh white waxed paper, taped shut, rather than something pre-packaged from the grocery. (nothing is ususally prepackaged at the buther. You tell them what you want and how much.) Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. He chews on them for a few hours, but all he does is tries to get the little fat, grizzle or whatever it is off the outside. It is kinda gross looking. He really likes them though, and it is the only thing that has ever kept him busy more than like 2 minutes. I got to watch 2 full hours of tv in peace the first time he got a raw bone. It was great. Then I fell asleep and he got mad I guess. He came over and nibbled my hand to wake me up. Little toot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts