Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 168 Posts

· Registered
6,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Feeding raw? Have questions about feeding raw? Have some good resources and/or links for feeding raw? Chat about them here with others who feed raw!

· Registered
2,558 Posts
Craigslist is an excellent resource for raw if you're willing to get your hands dirty. I live in a somewhat rural area so the farm and garden section is a prime resource. An example is just yesterday there was an ad selling 35 laying hens for $0.75 a piece. Ads for rabbits (no not just the free pets either), goats, and what not. If you're on a budget and can stomach the dirty work you might give it a go.

Hunters are another fave of mine. Infact today I'm getting the guts of 4 deer. Hearts, livers, lungs, stomachs, the whole works. Dogs will be in heaven in short order.

· Registered
2,558 Posts
2Bully do you feed skin and fur when you get stuff off craigslist or skin it yourself? I've thought of getting possums and rabbits but not sure if you can feed with fur on or not. Don't think I could stomach skinning it myself lol.
I haven't fed anything with fur or feathers still on. I wasn't able to move on those chickens as I don't have the facilities in place to butcher 35 chickens before a squeamish neighbor called the authorities. Note to self make garage butcher friendly. Just remember if it's questionable deep freeze it for 6 weeks or more. My mom fed roadkill, I'm hesitant to do it.

· Registered
5,032 Posts
2Bully do you feed skin and fur when you get stuff off craigslist or skin it yourself? I've thought of getting possums and rabbits but not sure if you can feed with fur on or not. Don't think I could stomach skinning it myself lol.
I think if you dip them in boiling water it helps make removing feathers/fur easier. I seen something where in China they dip rats in boiling water and then skin them.

· Registered
2,272 Posts
I scald the fowl I feed to the dogs, feathers make too much mess in the yard but they do ingest some it all come out in the wash.
Some old timers say that eating some feathers helps remove parasites that catch on too the feathers small barbs kind of cleans out the dog. I've heard this mostly from europeans.
Fur can be eaten they just have poo similar to coyote's and fox small and fur covered, some fast the day after really cleans out the system.
If your dog has good digestive system it shouldn't be a problem eating a whole prey item.

Here is Sookie eating a fresh rabbit, the rabbit was dispatched before feeding.
They get a whole rabbit once a week.
Dogs don't always know how to eat a whole prey item, sometimes you have to skin a bit back so they know there is meat under the fur and feathers.

I also eat the rabbits I raise and there is no waste the dogs are happy to have heads, feet and innards.
Mina diving into her snack.

I don't mind doing the dirty work, I feed my dogs and cats the best for next to nothing. If you have close neighbours I would be discreet they will not likley understand. I would do most work in a shed or garage if you can.
It is also good mental stimulation for your pet, it takes the awhile eating a meal pulling fur and feather back etc. It is a meal thats takes more than a few minutes to eat they are very satisfied afterwards.

· Registered
7,384 Posts
TMP I hope to do exactly what you are doing after we get our house built and settled in. I know that it will save us a lot of money not having to go out and buy kibble and what not.

· Registered
7,384 Posts
Anyone ever fed goat or horse? I am buying some from my raw supplier to feed the dogs, I need to add a little more variety and these are well priced.
Never fed either one. I will feed goats once we get get the house and everything built. But over here in the States it's illegal to slaughter horses and use them for human/animal consumption.

· Registered
8,294 Posts
Dylan says, "mmmm goat."

Terra, I gotta talk to you when I get moved. I'll going to bring in some chickens, guineas, rabbits, and goats to feed the dogs. And myself. I know you'll have some great resources for me to research. :D

· Registered
11,496 Posts
I would never feed horse..they are intelligent creatures and I think it would be a bit like feeding dog. goats are fair game imo.
gotta agree with you somewhat but dont forget pigs are very intelligent too. They pick up tricks faster than dogs and they rank #4 in animal intelligence behind chimpanzees, dolphins and elephants. Oh and octopus, extremely intelligent: both killed for food. ;-)

so if i was given horse meat, i would feed it to my dogs b/c its hypocritical for me to eat a pig but then say no to horse.

· Registered
1,718 Posts
What do you guys use as your 'staples' for the raw diet.

We use chicken frames & green tripe as our staples, at least every meal consists of whole chicken frames, green tripe or extras.

Extras are feed every 2 to 3 days, these are:

Organs (liver, kidney), heart meat, veal backbones, canned mackerel, chicken mince, lamb mince, possum (whole that has been minced), a venison mix (meat and bones), the occasional free range egg.

I've also just added goat and horse.

Just curious as to what everyone else feeds.

1 - 20 of 168 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.